PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who is in your Final Four?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who is in your Final Four?

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:39 pm

So_Cal - what are your thoughts on UCLA - I have not seen them play this year.

Duke
UConn
Kansas
BC

Uconn (like everyone else)

Who is the double digit seed that gets to the Sweet 16? Happens every year. Seton Hall / San Diego State / Utah State - those are my possible thoughts.

I am pretty lost this year - not easy.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:52 pm

I didnt plan it this way, but I ended up with the random set of Duke, Uconn, UCLA and Ohio State. I'm not big on UCLA but I think they got the most favorable draw of anybody. Memphis is a relatively weak #1 seed and UCLA gets to play all of its regional games in California.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:02 pm

That is the hard part - Minn. region.
Ohio State is ok - not great and I don't know what to think of Florida.
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:21 pm

reason I took a flyer and picked Ohio State is that they are familiar with Minneapolis from playing the Gophers in the Big 10. Not sure how a bunch of Florida boys might react to a real cold spring day in Minnesota. Real scientific huh? Lots of these teams are basically equal, just a matter of who shoots the rock and has the most energy on a given day.
Hoop Fan

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:46 pm

I have the exact same picks as Hoop Fan, Duke, UConn, UCLA, and Ohio St. with UConn winning it all. There's a kiss of death for someone. If Arkansas gets by Bucknell (which is a big question mark) I do believe they will beat Memphis. That is as far as they get though.
mrydel

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:59 pm

i have Arkansas beating Memphis too. It will be a home game for Arkansas basically. Just like the old Barnhill South days at Reunion.
Hoop Fan

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:00 pm

I disagree about Arkansas. They have been ducking Memphis for years and Memphis knows it. So Memphis will be up for that game. My upset special is UAB over UConn if they get there. UAB forces a ton of turnovers (we weren't the only ones they did that to). U Conn plays a little loose with the ball so look for a 15-20 t.o. game. If that happens UAB wins. My final four (and I always go against the grain to try and win the pot) Duke, Memphis, UNC and OSU. With OSU the winner. I am pretty sure at least one of the MVC teams makes the round of 16, I just can't decide which seed gets knocked off to get them there.
EastStang

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:05 pm

maybe but I think Memphis will feel the pressure of being a #1 seed and having to live up to it. Arkansas will be loose and have the crowd behind them. That is if the UT fans dont jump on Memphis bandwagon which is possible too I guess.
Hoop Fan

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:16 pm

Normally tomorrow in Arkansas would look like Odessa did State Championship time in "Friday Night Lights". However, there are enough Stan Heath haters here that it possibly could hold the crowd back. But I personally think that there will be a loud and strong Arkansas contingent, and it does not matter that Memphis will be up, I think Arkansas will out play them. Now Bucknell....that is a diferent story. Regardless of Arkansas' short comings, they are still a very egotistical team that thinks they will breeze by Bucknell and that could be the end of them and Heath.
mrydel

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:22 pm

Don't you think Heath can easily prevent his guys from overlooking Bucknell by simply showing them film of Bucknell shooting lights out and whipping Kansas in last year's tourney?
Hoop Fan

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:Don't you think Heath can easily prevent his guys from overlooking Bucknell by simply showing them film of Bucknell shooting lights out and whipping Kansas in last year's tourney?

That is the argument here. Heath haters say he does not have the maturity, knowledge, or ability to do that. I have no love for Arkansas, but personally I think he is doing a pretty good job in coaching and more so in recruiting.
mrydel

Postby PonyPride » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:14 pm

It kills me to say anything positive about Duke, but I have them in my Final Four. I actually have three #1s: Duke, UConn and Memphis .... as well as Boston College, which damn-near lost today.

Anyone else NOT surprised that Oklahoma got bounced today?
PonyPride

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:09 am

PonyPride wrote:It kills me to say anything positive about Duke, but I have them in my Final Four. I actually have three #1s: Duke, UConn and Memphis .... as well as Boston College, which damn-near lost today.

Anyone else NOT surprised that Oklahoma got bounced today?

Nope - OU is not good at all. I missed out on San Diego St, Nevada, and Utah State - f'd that up.
Pony_Fan

Postby PonyPride » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:29 am

Don't feel bad -- ANYONE who tells you they had Montana over Nevada is lying.
PonyPride

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:50 am

Boy my brackets look pitiful at this point. I picked the wrong upsets and then picked the wrong favorites. What a bad night.
EastStang

Next

Return to Basketball