PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting Class 2007

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Pony Up » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:52 am

Stallion wrote:The approximate rankings in Texas for DeMent's best class was No. 2 Jerryl Sasser, in the No. 6-8 range Willie Davis, No. 10-15 Chad Elsey, No. 18-21 range Michael Niemi and was it Forinash in the 18-20 range....
Since when do you go by approximate rankings? Don't you have the rivals lists since the Dickerson years laminated somewhere?

Stallion wrote:.... but I'd say ratings wise Dement's class was at least comparable and probably superior.
Maybe so. I don't spend time on the rivals ratings, so I'll defer to you on this one.

Stallion wrote:.... Both Sasser and Davis could light it up-and led their teams to the State Championship Game. Weren't both tournament POY in 5A and 4A?
Yup... and Chris Sanders and some guy from Corpus Christi or Galveston or someplace were state players of the year in football. So?

Stallion wrote:... I'd be surprised if a lot of the 2007 Class is really polished enough to help much next year except out of necessity.
And what do you base that on? Maybe you're right - maybe none of these guys is going to be ready - but what do you base that on? Everything that's been written about these guys suggests that there is a hell of a lot of talent coming in. Kwiatkowski sounds like he might be more of a project than the others, but I haven't seen him EITHER. They all will make mistakes as they learn and grow. I just don't see how you can dismiss them as not being "polished enough to help much" when you haven't seen them any more than the rest of us have.

Stallion wrote:Rivals 3 stars in BB are a dime a dozen and is not a sure sign of future success.
WHAT?!?!?!? I thought the world revolved around rivals stars? That's what we've always heard - that a guy with more rivals stars has a better chance of helping a team improve. The more stars, the better - right? (Personally, I'm more interested in what other teams have offered, and there are some kids coming in with really nice offers. But I digress.)

Stallion wrote:Too bad SMU didn't give Dement a chance with full administration support-as the last 3 years have shown he was not near as bad as the unenlightened think.
Thanks for telling the unenlightened what we should think.

Stallion wrote:He is the only coach in SMU post DP History including a combined 32 years to put a natiionally competitive program on the field or court.
Really? I'd like to introduce you to Alan Kirkup, George van Linder, John Cossaboon, Steve Collins, Eddie Sinnott, Jim Stillson (OK, the swimming/diving coaches aren't putting teams on a court or a field, but if you're going to make a blanket statement, it deserves a blanket response), Carl Neufeld, Rhonda Rompola and the man himself, Schellas Hyndman.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby Ponymon » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Stallion wrote:The approximate rankings in Texas for DeMent's best class was No. 2 Jerryl Sasser, in the No. 6-8 range Willie Davis, No. 10-15 Chad Elsey, No. 18-21 range Michael Niemi and was it Forinash in the 18-20 range. Now arguably there is more talent in Texas now but I'd say ratings wise Dement's class was at least comparable and probably superior. Both Sasser and Davis could light it up-and led their teams to the State Championship Game. Weren't both tournament POY in 5A and 4A? They were ready to step in immediately-I'd be surprised if a lot of the 2007 Class is really polished enough to help much next year except out of necessity. Rivals 3 stars in BB are a dime a dozen and is not a sure sign of future success. Too bad SMU didn't give Dement a chance with full administration support-as the last 3 years have shown he was not near as bad as the unenlightened think. He is the only coach in SMU post DP History including a combined 32 years to put a natiionally competitive program on the field or court.

Yes, this group was SO great that they never could get in the NCAA tournament, which is composed of 64 teams. Lets see, thats 64 chances a year to make the tournament times 4 years, which equals 256 opportunities and we didn't couldn't occupy EVEN one of those slots! :roll: NUFF SAID :!:
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:54 pm

My hope is that none of these players sets any scoring records at SMU because that would mean that they would be jacking it up all the time. I hope that we have four starters average around 15 points per game each and the bench averaging about 12 points per game and our center getting 4 blocked shots per game and lots of shot intimidations. Last time I checked, basketball was still a team sport.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:37 pm

I would rather see no scoring records because they keep leaving early for the NBA.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball