PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????!!!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:53 am

In seven years, our coach has had one winning season.

At least he's the Best Dressed Coach, year after year.

To give him his credit though, he did get a top 15 recruiting class this year. But still.

FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby ReedFrawg » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:54 am

Billy Joe wrote:What do you guys expect? What team has a void in which 6 or 7 freshman are on the team and have to play? No one. This is SMU. Any other team would have not allowed this to happen. Any other team would have recruited a few JUCO or have a few transfer players to avoid this mess. Not SMU. SMU has a broken model. A model that creates losing. There is no way in hell most of the freshman on this team should be playing. They should redshirt. We should have one or two JUCO players playing instead. This is why SMU has no fan base. The SMU model creates losing and people do not like to watch losers. Change the model and the results will change on the floor.

Freshmen play ALL the time in college basketball. Sure, it may be a decent excuse if you lose to Memphis, Houston, etc....but not to get rolled by Alabama St. and Centenary and lose to USC Upstate. I don't care how many freshmen you are playing.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:42 am

Agreed RF.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mr. pony » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:01 pm

Four of our five losses: Southern, Ala. St., Centenary and Upstart - all at home.

Let that sink in..........
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:43 pm

mr. pony wrote:Four of our five losses: Southern, Ala. St., Centenary and Upstart - all at home.

Bring on UCLA, North Carolina, Duke, Texas and Michigan St -- because some of you want that real non-conference schedule instead of these sideshows that you can't be bothered with.
George S. Patton

Playing Freshmen

Postby The Falcon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:26 pm

I purposely checked last night -

USC Upstate had 8 Frosh on their team which beats us - we only have
7 and only 4 of those are playing right now.

Nyakundi is the only one red-shirted. Rhodes and Thomas K are both
injured or perhaps in the doghouse. Malone is not playing much
because Doh thinks he dribbles too much and when he sees him do it again, he pulls him and sits him - so we are playing Papa and Walker
and Harp. They may all develop into good or very good players but they
are not there yet.

By the way - I didn't keep track of how many minutes the Frosh for
USC Upstate played - they only had two seniors and I think the coach's
son was one of them and he was the leading scorer for the game.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby mr. pony » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:44 pm

George S. Patton wrote:
mr. pony wrote:Four of our five losses: Southern, Ala. St., Centenary and Upstart - all at home.

Bring on UCLA, North Carolina, Duke, Texas and Michigan St -- because some of you want that real non-conference schedule instead of these sideshows that you can't be bothered with.

I never said bring those teams in, (though it would put butts in seats and our record would likely be the same.)

My point is we've lost to some poor, poor teams.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:47 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'd rather watch us lose by 50 to Duke or Arizona than lose by 2 to USC Upstate.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:50 pm

mr. pony wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:

I never said bring those teams in, (though it would put butts in seats and our record would likely be the same.)

My point is we've lost to some poor, poor teams.

Really? These are poor teams that we have lost to? Does this go into the breaking news segment?

Yeah. We kinda stink out there. Nothing you can do about it but move on.
George S. Patton

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:29 pm

At least this year we know where we stand. We can only improve (or I guess stay the same). Last year we piled up those easy wins in the early going and got a little overly excited until reality brought us back to earth. This year there is no doubt or misconstrued beliefs as to what may happen when the conference season begins. Lets just cheer them on and hopefully witness some growth and improvement on which we can build.

I do agree with Stealth however. I would rather be getting blasted by some top 25ers than losing close to these nobodies.
mrydel

Postby EastStang » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:44 pm

This is a young team with some talented players, but its going to take some time and yes, they need to figure out that they have to bring their A game every game. No showtime ever. This will come in time as players buy into Doh's program. This was a good recruiting class, but not the greatest group of players ever to set foot on the floor. They have to learn how to play together without much in terms of upperclass leadership. Usually, one freshman might start on a good Division 1 program. We're well above that.
EastStang

Postby angryfan04 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:08 pm

We started 2 freshman last night - I wouldn't say that is well over the 1 freshman a good division school starts.....maybe that excuse works if we're playing against a conference foe....but against usc upstate? come on...........and we have to wait until the guys start "buying into doh's program"???? if they haven't bought into what the coach is telling them, then they don't need to be playing on this team
angryfan04
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball