PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Orsini's Top 25 comment..

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

First to break the top 25

Mustangs Basketball
81%
Mustangs Football
19%

Total votes : 48

Postby The XtC » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:16 pm

[quote="Pony_Fan"]Billy Joe, Smu2007, and Ponysnob seem to be related?[/quote]

Explain to me what Billy Joe said that was so wrong? Please, I'd really like to know, because I kind of agree with him wholeheartedly. Before you can be top-25, you first have to stop being a laughingstock and become competitive, and that appears to be a step SMU is really struggling with. It's laughable to talk about being top-25 when your football team goes 1-11 in a week conference, and your basketballl team get's blown out of their own gym by Centenary. Try being competitive first, then worry about the top-25.

For the record, I've always considered the "Top-25 in every sport" to be wishful thinking, at best. The truth is no school is top-25 in every sport, not even UT or Stanford, the schools at the top of the Sears rankings every year. Trust me, I've looked. Schools with budgets twice or triple our size cant live up to that standard, so why is it realistic for SMU? It's just another smoke screen to raise ticket and Boulevard (and concession, etc.) prices every year. It makes everybodies ego puff up, but it's not reality, just another pipe dream. Let's start by being competitive, and then work upwards from there.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:49 pm

I think the top 25 thing is supposed to inspire some sort of confidence. kind of like June Cometh, RoboDoh and the Justin Willis All Everything campaign before that. I wish SmU would have spent that money on substance. Maybe a training table for athletes or another modest step in the right direction. I want to see something that shows smu really gets it and wants to compete. I'm afraid smu is looking for a magic savior and a gimmick instead of cutting the crap and getting competitive.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:21 am

The XtC wrote:
Pony_Fan wrote:Billy Joe, Smu2007, and Ponysnob seem to be related?

Explain to me what Billy Joe said that was so wrong? Please, I'd really like to know, because I kind of agree with him wholeheartedly. Before you can be top-25, you first have to stop being a laughingstock and become competitive, and that appears to be a step SMU is really struggling with. It's laughable to talk about being top-25 when your football team goes 1-11 in a week conference, and your basketballl team get's blown out of their own gym by Centenary. Try being competitive first, then worry about the top-25.

For the record, I've always considered the "Top-25 in every sport" to be wishful thinking, at best. The truth is no school is top-25 in every sport, not even UT or Stanford, the schools at the top of the Sears rankings every year. Trust me, I've looked. Schools with budgets twice or triple our size cant live up to that standard, so why is it realistic for SMU? It's just another smoke screen to raise ticket and Boulevard (and concession, etc.) prices every year. It makes everybodies ego puff up, but it's not reality, just another pipe dream. Let's start by being competitive, and then work upwards from there.

I was making a joke, relax

They seem to post the same type of posts.
Pony_Fan

Postby angryfan04 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:03 pm

Remember - Coach Doh said it would take him 6 years
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby Alaric » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:20 am

The XtC wrote:I kind of agree with him wholeheartedly.
:wink:
Alaric
Hall of Famer

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:08 pm

Basketball puts us in a position where there is no cartel. Stop wasting all this money on football.

DBB
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:11 pm

The XtC wrote:
Pony_Fan wrote:Billy Joe, Smu2007, and Ponysnob seem to be related?

For the record, I've always considered the "Top-25 in every sport" to be wishful thinking, at best. The truth is no school is top-25 in every sport, not even UT or Stanford, the schools at the top of the Sears rankings every year. Trust me, I've looked.

LSU's pretty close. At least they were when men's bb went to the Final Four.
RGV Pony

Postby 03Mustang » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 am

Duke Blue Blood wrote:Basketball puts us in a position where there is no cartel. Stop wasting all this money on football.

DBB

Sadly, after this season I'm starting to listen to opinons like this....
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smu2008 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:57 pm

After the USF game (which may be a bit premature, but 27.7%...), it's safe to say we have awhile until either is a possibility. That said, I'm still confident for the basketball chances. Papa and Bamba with McCoy and Williams (throw in Faye?) present quite a foundation and even going .500 could grab some recruiting attention with a former AP coach of the year in command. Plus, our facilities? I haven't seen inside Crum in person, but i heard it's top notch.

As far as football goes, despite the record, I feel like we are also close to winning some games. Our offense is acceptable. If Bo Levi could cut down on the interceptions a little, we would have one of the best passing attacks in C-USA. Aldrick and Emanuel were the top 2 receivers in the country (in terms of yards) after the Texas Tech game. I think we are a decent (not great, but decent) defense away from being competitive. It also doesn't help that we are last in C-USA (except the disappointing UCF) in 3rd down conversions at just 33% (damn you 3rd and long!). Which officially makes us the most frustrating team in the NCAA to watch/root for.
smu2008

Postby HB Pony Dad » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:50 am

Cox School Dean Albert W. Niemi got there first so...

Does he have any FB or BB skills?
SMU - IT'S YOUR TURN

FIRE JUNE JONES

USC Trojan for Life and SMU Dad!
HB Pony Dad
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Orsini's Top 25 comment..

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:25 am

Bump this thread because never in a million years would any of us thought being ranked four straight years would be possible. Incredible how far we've come.

BTW, digging deep in PFs thread history is entertaining.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Re: Orsini's Top 25 comment..

Postby ponyscott » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:48 am

Must have been really bored....
ponyscott

Previous

Return to Basketball