PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Women at home versus Tulane

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Peruna88 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:54 pm

GREAT game tonight. Haley totally stepped it up and Christine was amazing on the boards. Props to Sam for the great defense on Tulane #33 - she hit 2 3's early, then Sam shut her down.

Ponies go for the championship on Saturday. It would be nice to have a large crowd there to support them.

8)
Peruna88
All-American

Postby Tipoff96 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Just back from the game. I concur with the comments made on earlier posts - it was the Haley, Sam and Elliot show. What's truly great about this win is that you saw Freshmen and Sophomores take the game over down the stretch with Delisha out, Samuels struggling offensively and Gilliam in foul trouble. I think it's a credit to the job the coaches are doing with the development of these young players. Haley taking 3 charges tonight says it all - SMU just flat out worked harder for the win.

Would have like to have seen Houston lose tonight - would have guaranteed a first round bye in the conference tourney. Who cares I suppose - we just have to take care of our own business, and that means beating UTEP on Saturday.
Tipoff96
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:03 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Delisha Wills is out indefinitely with a sprained ankle. Friend of mine told me she's doubtful for the tournament.

She didn't play the second half against Rice and wore a protective sleeve while on the bench. Obviously she wasn't needed against the Owls.

Is it the same ankle she injured originally against Tulsa?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Peruna88 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:12 pm

:(
Peruna88
All-American

Postby southerncomfort » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:17 pm

You can't just tape a sprained ankle and say you're good to go, run along and play the game now...Taping is for prevention.
southerncomfort
Varsity

Postby Peruna88 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40 pm

8)
Peruna88
All-American

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:56 am

Haley Day had 20 points and 14 rebounds , full speed hustle and effort on both ends of the court and played most of the game. She was a dominating player. The future of women's basketball looks bright.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:12 am

Freshman leads SMU women past Tulane

12:36 AM CST on Friday, February 27, 2009

By BOBBI ROQUEMORE / The Dallas Morning News
broquemore@dallasnews.com

UNIVERSITY PARK – SMU freshman center Christine Elliott and sophomore guard Haley Day formed a one-two punch that knocked Tulane silly Thursday night.

Elliott scored 16 points and tied a school record with 21 rebounds, and Day added a double-double with 20 points and 14 rebounds as the Mustangs brushed off the Green Wave, 61-49, at Moody Coliseum.
Colleges

The victory kept the Mustangs (18-10, 11-4) in a first-place tie with Southern Miss and UTEP in Conference USA. It sets up a showdown for No. 1 as SMU hosts UTEP (18-10, 11-4) Saturday in the regular-season finale. The winner gets at least a share of the league title.

SMU couldn't afford a slip up by overlooking sixth-place Tulane (8-7, 16-13), and then its path was made difficult with second-leading scorer Delisha Wills out due to an undisclosed injury and leading scorer Brittany Gilliam mired in foul trouble.

Yet Day and Elliott overpowered Tulane from the start.

Day, a Rockwall graduate, scored the team's first seven points and took it upon herself to be an offensive force throughout her season-high 37 minutes.

"[Gilliam], Delisha and [Jillian Samuels] have been the main scorers, but on nights that they don't hit, I feel like I'm the next one that needs to step up," Day said.

Elliott had 12 rebounds by halftime, and No. 21 grabbed rebound No. 21 with 5:05 remaining to tie Felicia Bluitt's school record, which was set in 1986 against TCU.

"I went after the ball more aggressively," Elliott said.

A six-minute cold spell by SMU allowed Tulane to tie the game, 25-25, just before halftime, and the Green Wave opened a brief three-point lead with 17:22 to go.

An 11-0 run by the Mustangs, started by Day's free throws with 15:04 left, put SMU ahead for good.

"We didn't tighten up at the end, especially with our young players in there," coach Rhonda Rompola said. "I looked up and at one time we had three freshmen on the floor. When the game is close like that and your freshmen are getting it done, that says something."
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Wrap-up of the game

Postby crimsonstang » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:09 pm

SMU also has an article on the game with a summary and quotes from Coach Rompola and sophomore forward Haley Day.
Check it our here:
http://tinyurl.com/bn6ogc
crimsonstang

Postby PonyPride » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:55 pm

Women's Basketball Earns Shot At C-USA Title Saturday Afternoon
Elliott, Day post double-doubles to give SMU sweep of Tulane, 61-49

Feb. 26, 2009

DALLAS (SMU) - Freshman center Christine Elliott tied the SMU record for rebounds in a game and notched her third double-double of the season, and sophomore guard/forward Haley Day had her second double-double of the season to lead the SMU women's basketball team to a 61-49 victory Thursday night over Conference USA rival Tulane at Moody Coliseum.

The victory improves the Mustangs' record to 18-10 overall and 11-4 in Conference USA games. Southern Miss and UTEP both won Thursday night to improve to 11-4, meaning that if SMU can beat the Miners in Saturday's 2 p.m. showdown with UTEP at Moody Coliseum, the Mustangs will earn at least a share of the conference championship.

Elliott was dominant inside for the Mustangs, who outscored the Green Wave, 30-22 in the paint. Elliott scored 16 points on 8-of-11 shooting and pulled down 21 rebounds, tying the 22-year-old SMU record for rebounds in a single game set by Felicia Bluitt in 1986 against TCU. Elliott, who established a new career high with 12 rebounds by halftime Thursday night, also tied five other players for the second-highest number of rebounds ever posted by a player in a Conference USA game, falling one short of the all-time C-USA record.

Day scored the Mustangs' first seven points of the game and finished with career highs in points (20), field goals (6) and rebounds (14) to notch her second double-double of the season and her career - both have come against Tulane. Day hit 6-of-11 shots from the floor and 7-of-10 from the free throw line to lead all scorers in the game.

Between them, Day and Elliott collected 35 rebounds - one short of the total posted by the entire Green Wave team, as the Mustangs enjoyed a 48-36 rebounding advantage on the glass.

The Mustangs and Miners will meet Saturday for the fifth time in the last two seasons. UTEP won both regular-season matchups last season, but SMU beat the Miners (who were ranked No. 18 in the country at the time) in the Conference USA Championship title game in Orlando to claim the tournament crown; both teams earned berths in the 2008 NCAA Tournament.

The teams met for the first time this season Jan. 24 in El Paso. Junior forward Delisha Wills had a double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Mustangs to a 70-64 victory over the Miners, their 18th win in 25 meetings all-time against UTEP.

For ticket information, log on to SMUMustangs.com or call 214-SMU-GAME.

The 2009 Conference USA Women's Basketball Championship is set to get underway on March 5-8 in New Orleans. For the past 13 years the league has awarded the championship trophy to eight different outstanding teams. Fans may purchase their tickets in advance by going through the SMU ticket office (214-SMU-GAME) or Tulane Athletics at tulanegreenwave.com or 504-861-WAVE. General admission all-session tickets are $50 for adults and $40 for youth, while single-session prices are $10 for adults and $7 for youth.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby giacfsp » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:22 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Couple of notables:

Delisha Wills is out indefinitely with a sprained ankle. Friend of mine told me she's doubtful for the tournament.

Christine Elliott set the single-game rebounding record with 21.

Haley Day was amazing with a double-double. Think it was 18 and 11 -- or that's where I lost count.

Alan Stone called the game in place of Ray. Stone did his usual fine job.

Congrats ladies, and beat UTEP!!
More notables:

Elliott tied the single-game record - didn't set a new one. (Blew away the SMU freshman record, which had been 16).

Haley Day had 20 and 14 - both career highs.

BEAT THE MINERS
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Couple of notables:

Delisha Wills is out indefinitely with a sprained ankle. Friend of mine told me she's doubtful for the tournament.

Christine Elliott set the single-game rebounding record with 21.

Haley Day was amazing with a double-double. Think it was 18 and 11 -- or that's where I lost count.

Alan Stone called the game in place of Ray. Stone did his usual fine job.

Congrats ladies, and beat UTEP!!
Is your friend on the team (player or coach) or the medical staff?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball