PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Calipari to Kentucky?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Calipari to Kentucky?

Postby ponyfan08 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:11 am

Coach John Calipari is spending Monday meeting with Memphis officials and contemplating what is expected to be a multiyear, multimillion offer to coach Kentucky, a source close to the situation said.

Calipari met with Kentucky officials on Sunday at an undisclosed location, at which time he was given an outline on the length of a deal and contract dollars to succeed Billy Gillispie, the source said.

But more than the money, Calipari has to decide if he wants to leave a program in Memphis that he has transformed into a national championship contender for one of the most tradition-rich programs in the sport that has recently fallen upon hard times.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848
[deleted] Dang Sweet Perunatang!
ponyfan08
All-American

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 am

I think if he goes his recruits will likely follow, and you can say goodbye to the last bit of respoect CUSA has :?
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:28 am

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=10092462

Nothing would really change about this being a one-bid league. Personally, I think he should do it.

The conference's reputation will only get better with better coaches overall and better recruiting overall. When that will happen is anybody's guess.
George S. Patton

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:38 am

if he goes, I think Memphis should hire the 30-year old recruiting ace who used to be at Arizona. What's his name?

If they don't go that direction, Theus would be a good hire as well.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby friarwolf » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:40 am

RGV Pony wrote:if he goes, I think Memphis should hire the 30-year old recruiting ace who used to be at Arizona. What's his name?

If they don't go that direction, Theus would be a good hire as well.

Josh Pastner............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 am

Memphis media is suggesting that something will be known by the end of the day. But their conjecture is that Calipari is going to take the job.

If we're talking about Calipari replacements, who do we think would be good besides Pastner? I'm kinda blanking on this.
George S. Patton

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:19 am

George S. Patton wrote:Memphis media is suggesting that something will be known by the end of the day. But their conjecture is that Calipari is going to take the job.

If we're talking about Calipari replacements, who do we think would be good besides Pastner? I'm kinda blanking on this.

Mark Few (would he leave Zaga for Memphis?)
Mike Anderson (but why would he leave Missouri?)
Scott Drew
Travis Ford
Derek Kellogg
Brad Stevens
CalallenStang

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:24 am

CalallenStang wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:Memphis media is suggesting that something will be known by the end of the day. But their conjecture is that Calipari is going to take the job.

Scott Drew
Travis Ford
Derek Kellogg
Brad Stevens

He should ask Dan Monson how things worked out for him
RGV Pony

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:47 am

RGV Pony wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:

Scott Drew
Travis Ford
Derek Kellogg
Brad Stevens

He should ask Dan Monson how things worked out for him

Not very well. :roll: But in Monson's defense, he did inherit a huge mess at the U with the academic scandal and the whole thing was torn down before it could be built back up.

However, when Monson go through the mess, it became pretty apparent he was in over his head running the Gopher basketball program.

EDIT: Drew would be interesting. He's shown he can recruit and moving from Baylor to Memphis with its tradition would be a good move, albeit not from a conference standpoint.

But he could be the big fish in the little pond and not continually run behind KU, Texas, OU and others to be in the middle of the Big 12. He's done a lot for Baylor.

If Calipari does leave, we'll sow Memphis reacts. I'm sure their AD has had the replacement list in his desk for some time.
George S. Patton

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:58 am

George S. Patton wrote:Nothing would really change about this being a one-bid league. Personally, I think he should do it.

The conference's reputation will only get better with better coaches overall and better recruiting overall. When that will happen is anybody's guess.

Sure it's still a one bid league, but we can say goodbye to the conf. championship game on CBS and get ready to join the WAC with the late-night ESPN2 double-header.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangIcon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Memphis is going to come hire Doherty away from us!!!!!! :wink:
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 pm

MustangIcon wrote:Memphis is going to come hire Doherty away from us!!!!!! :wink:

Oh yes, please, please, please. We highly recommend him. :wink: :wink:

GO PONIES
redpony

Postby friarwolf » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:53 pm

He's a god in Memphis and just the latest coach at Kentucky where they eat their own. Does he really want the grief that comes with that job at his age or the sweet deal he has now???? Guess we'll see.............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Interesting to hear that not only is Memphis doing their best to keep him, but apparently FedEx is going to meet with him about staying also.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:34 pm

friarwolf wrote:He's a god in Memphis and just the latest coach at Kentucky where they eat their own. Does he really want the grief that comes with that job at his age or the sweet deal he has now???? Guess we'll see.............

I think he should absolutely do it. It's the conference's fault that it's been held up by Memphis. Others like UAB and Houston and Tulsa have to do their part. I think that's why the Memphis faithful have wished for a move into the Big East -- to see how good the program is year after year.

Actually, I'm surprised the CUSA title game was never replaced by CBS in lieu of the Big 12 or something else -- with or without Memphis.

Was there an agreement in place with CBS to keep the title game for x-number of years after the re-configuration?
George S. Patton

Next

Return to Basketball