PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Calipari to Kentucky?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby J.T.supporta » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:55 pm

Well it is now official, Cal is the new coach at UK
J.T.supporta
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HB Pony Dad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:58 pm

EastStang wrote: Thompson didn't understand why coaching at Kentucky was more important as being able to control your own destiny.

Oh perhaps

multiplied
times might have been an influence! :roll:
SMU - IT'S YOUR TURN

FIRE JUNE JONES

USC Trojan for Life and SMU Dad!
HB Pony Dad
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby bagice » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Yep, Done Deal....

I still see this as being good for the conference in the long run...Yes its good to have a great team in the league for everyone else to catch up to, but there was no slowing that train and no way anyone would ever catch up, now we can all take steps together and everyone elevate their play.

He may end up regretting it, he probably can't get the same players in Kentucky that he did at Memphis......he relied on a lot of AAU players, doing back room deals with coaches and parents, partial qualifiers....

I will be the first to throw SMU's hat in the ring as successor to the C-USA title next year! :wink:
Womack + Wishbone = Heisman

Class of 89
bagice
Heisman

Postby J.T.supporta » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:41 pm

tyreke Evans has declared for the draft as well in other Memphis tiger news...most likely a lock to be a lottery pick, maybe even top 10.
J.T.supporta

Postby ponyfan84 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:47 pm

I see this as good for C-USA in the long run. This could even out the recruiting in the conference and now several teams can emerge as the top teams in the conference rather than have Memphis dominate year in and out.

Hopefully thats the case, and more than 1 rep from the conference will make the tournament.

But personally, why would anyone want to play for Kentucky? I guess money is good enough, but they have the most unrealistic expectations at that school. He was a legend at Memphis, put the program in the national spotlight as a power, dominated the conference, recruited the best and won easily, plus he had control. Now he's going to Kentucky where if he doesn't go 30-1 and win a title each year, he's deemed terrible. I bet he'll have more success than BG there, but one bad season and he's out.
ponyfan84
All-American

Postby abezontar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:30 pm

How much would you like to wager that we are now going to be a one and done league.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby J.T.supporta » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:37 pm

abezontar wrote:How much would you like to wager that we are now going to be a one and done league.

i still think Memphis will be a top team next year...maybe not top 10 but top 25 still isnt bad.

Cal was lobbying for the UTEP coach to be named his successor so maybe if he gets the job, itll still be a strong league
J.T.supporta

Postby ponydawg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:42 pm

this is from the cusa board, which is on the interweb, so it is prolly made up,
but it is still an interesting read i guess:

Memphis Tiger players hated Cal.....
A lot of you didnt know that the tiger players hated Cal.Last year, CDR nd Andre Allen quit the team around the time Dorsey got benched For cussing Cal out.The other players went to CDR's place
andtalked them back into coming back. Cal wanted CDr to play another season,but CDR refused to play for him. So Cal sent his paper work for the draft in late. causeing him to go late in the draft. CDR was pissed. This year Cal screewed Jeff Robinson. promising a statring position. But, Jeff and 2 other players went to Club Senses and the other two players were smoking pot.The word got back to Cal. he had an internal [deleted] test given.2 players were positive Jeff was negative.Jeff was banned from going to the clubs.So he gets in trouble for taking the players
there.(I wont mention there names)He gets benched for the start of the season. When they went to the Puerto rican classic. Coach Gonzales went to Jeff.(in front of Cal) and told him there no reason
for you to be on nobody's bench. You play for me and ill start you.Cal got pissed.He tried to get jeff to play in a couple of games but Jeff wouldnt get of the bench.Cal did not want to give him a red shirt
. By then, the players started even more to hate Cal. So Cal tried to smooth it out with the media.jeff tranfers to Senton Hall. Now Cal dismantles the whole team, the program, and the trust of Tiger Fans.Sally might stay with the tigers (hes 24) cant miss a full year, Niles is pissed,witherspoon is going to tranfer to kentucky.Mama kemp is pissed,Mack's daddy,
Icould imagine whats going through his mind. But if yall new the **** that went on. The name calling, Punks, sissy's,mf. you
would be glad hes gone also! They put up with so they could possibly go pro. They are great guys. sorry guys that it happened to you. I know you will be a better man than Cal!
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HB Pony Dad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 pm

J.T.supporta wrote:
abezontar wrote:How much would you like to wager that we are now going to be a one and done league.

i still think Memphis will be a top team next year...maybe not top 10 but top 25 still isnt bad.

Cal was lobbying for the UTEP coach to be named his successor so maybe if he gets the job, itll still be a strong league

Memphis (State) isn't going anywhere and all of you who think they will fall off the earth are dreaming.

Gene Bartow took a Missouri Valley Memphis State to the the 1973 NCAA national championship game losing to UCLA so I have no fear that their tradition will continue.

Calipari only took 2 years for an NIT championship and 4 years to get them back into the Big Dance.

Anyone thinking they are going to roll over for us or other Suck-USA B-ball teams better worry about our own houses first!

Are you listening Coach Doh!
SMU - IT'S YOUR TURN

FIRE JUNE JONES

USC Trojan for Life and SMU Dad!
HB Pony Dad
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby J.T.supporta » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 pm

ponydawg wrote:this is from the cusa board, which is on the interweb, so it is prolly made up,

A lot of you didnt know that the tiger players hated Cal.Last year, CDR nd Andre Allen quit the team around the time Dorsey got benched For cussing Cal out.The other players went to CDR's place
andtalked them back into coming back. Cal wanted CDr to play another season,but CDR refused to play for him. So Cal sent his paper work for the draft in late. causeing him to go late in the draft. CDR was pissed. This year Cal screewed Jeff Robinson. promising a statring position. But, Jeff and 2 other players went to Club Senses and the other two players were smoking pot.The word got back to Cal. he had an internal [deleted] test given.2 players were positive Jeff was negative.Jeff was banned from going to the clubs.So he gets in trouble for taking the players
there.(I wont mention there names)He gets benched for the start of the season. When they went to the Puerto rican classic. Coach Gonzales went to Jeff.(in front of Cal) and told him there no reason
for you to be on nobody's bench. You play for me and ill start you.Cal got pissed.He tried to get jeff to play in a couple of games but Jeff wouldnt get of the bench.Cal did not want to give him a red shirt
. By then, the players started even more to hate Cal. So Cal tried to smooth it out with the media.jeff tranfers to Senton Hall. Now Cal dismantles the whole team, the program, and the trust of Tiger Fans.Sally might stay with the tigers (hes 24) cant miss a full year, Niles is pissed,witherspoon is going to tranfer to kentucky.Mama kemp is pissed,Mack's daddy,
Icould imagine whats going through his mind. But if yall new the **** that went on. The name calling, Punks, sissy's,mf. you
would be glad hes gone also! They put up with so they could possibly go pro. They are great guys. sorry guys that it happened to you. I know you will be a better man than Cal!

did this guy even get a GED?
J.T.supporta

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:00 pm

J.T.supporta wrote:
ponydawg wrote:this is from the cusa board, which is on the interweb, so it is prolly made up,

there's no way he did
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 pm

J.T.supporta wrote:

No, but it's ok. He still got admitted to the University of Phoenix.
CalallenStang

Postby abezontar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:31 am

HB Pony Dad wrote:
J.T.supporta wrote:

Memphis (State) isn't going anywhere and all of you who think they will fall off the earth are dreaming.

Gene Bartow took a Missouri Valley Memphis State to the the 1973 NCAA national championship game losing to UCLA so I have no fear that their tradition will continue.

Calipari only took 2 years for an NIT championship and 4 years to get them back into the Big Dance.

Anyone thinking they are going to roll over for us or other Suck-USA B-ball teams better worry about our own houses first!

Are you listening Coach Doh!

I don't believe I said they wouldn't continue to be successful in CUSA, just that whoever makes the tourney from CUSA will be a one and done team. The 2009 bball landscape isn't the same as the 1973 bball landscape.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:15 am

I see no way this is good for the conference. The trick to getting 2 teams into the dance is to have solid at-large resumes. Making Memphis worse does not help anyone else get stronger. Yes, someone else may win the auto bid for a change, but that doesn't mean it is a better conference. If Memphis does not get a big time replacement in place quickly, I would not be surprised if this conference drops out of the RPI top 12 in 2-3 years. That would put us solidly in forget-about-at-large-bids territory.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:40 am

MustangStealth wrote:I see no way this is good for the conference. The trick to getting 2 teams into the dance is to have solid at-large resumes. Making Memphis worse does not help anyone else get stronger. Yes, someone else may win the auto bid for a change, but that doesn't mean it is a better conference. If Memphis does not get a big time replacement in place quickly, I would not be surprised if this conference drops out of the RPI top 12 in 2-3 years. That would put us solidly in forget-about-at-large-bids territory.

It will be interesting to c how many Memphis recruits stick with their commitments/signings & who their new coach will be.
I don't expect them to drop off @ all next season & I think Tulsa should be a legit dancing candidate.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball