PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Calipari to Kentucky?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby bagice » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:46 am

Well, you figure Cal is going to take a least one or two of his recruits with him, and the other 2 may very well change their minds. They will Lose Evans, and a couple are out of eligibility (don't want to say graduate because its Memphis)

All depends on who they hire and how quickly they do it. I don't see any way they don't drop down next year, although they could still be very much in the thick of things...their killer OOC schedule will probably really hurt them as well.
Womack + Wishbone = Heisman

Class of 89
bagice
Heisman

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:41 pm

[quote="bagice"]Well, you figure Cal is going to take a least one or two of his recruits with him, and the other 2 may very well change their minds. They will Lose Evans, and a couple are out of eligibility (don't want to say graduate because its Memphis)

All depends on who they hire and how quickly they do it. I don't see any way they don't drop down next year, although they could still be very much in the thick of things...their killer OOC schedule will probably really hurt them as well.

After reading your post I can honestly say that I think this is the most reasonable post that you have ever made & I may actually agree with you :) . I do think they will still be a very good team but you gotta think the CUSA winning game streak will fall next season.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Thought I'd check the roster for next year. Everybody should go to the site and look at a couple of things.

http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/mem-m-baskbl-mtt.html

1. Besides a big money coach, notice that they have 21 various support staff for the team - yes, more than 1 per player.
2. Check out the banner on the far left. Looks like they can go ahead and take that one down.

Now, back to the roster. They will lose the following at least:
Anderson
Dozier
Evans

5 players (Taggart, Kemp, Sallie, Henderson-Niles, Mack) likely won't transfer since they are near the end of their eligibility.

That leaves 5 freshman with questionable status.
Henry - part of a package deal to get his brother next year, likely gone
Wesley Witherspoon - only one to play significant minutes, could probably get plenty of interest if he wants to transfer
Laird, Simpkins, Garcia - little to no PT, so who knows

So they have enough coming back to start a solid team, but they will likely not have much of a bench and will not be anywhere near the same quality they have been.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball