PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2 Local kids decommit from KY

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PK » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:52 pm

George S. Patton wrote:
Sic_em wrote:Vilarino to Gonzaga. Did SMU even contact him?

Probably not because Arlington was too close.
OK...this is all great fun, but iirc, a coach cannot contact a transfer player unless that player first contacts the coach. I'm sure there are all sorts of creative ways around that requirement, but SMU is hardly in the position to use non-official methods. Get over it. Until we become a program kids want to be involved with, there aren't going to be a lot of transfer players knocking at our door.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby friarwolf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 am

Sic_em wrote:Vilarino to Gonzaga. Did SMU even contact him?

Doh was on this kid early - 2 years ago..............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:23 am

PK,
Vilarino was a high school player, signed with Kentucky and then was given a release from his LOI because of the coaching change there.

He re-opened his recruiting. There was nothing transfer about this.

We can talk about Gonzaga's track record vs. ours. But sooner or later if a program is going to turn the corner, it has to win this kind of a recruiting battle and get that kid who will be a signature player and have others follow.

But if Doherty has been on him for 2 years and can't get him, that's not good.
George S. Patton

Postby PK » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for the clarification.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sic_em » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:01 am

PK,
Vilarino was not a transfer...he had signed an LOI with Kentucky, but after the coaching change, Calipari released him from his LOI and he became a recruitable athlete again.

I wasn't being completely serious when I asked the question about whether Doherty even contacted Vilarino, but in reality Doh should've been knocking down the kid's door trying to get him to the Hilltop. Did that happen? While it's understandable when a kid picks Gonzaga over SMU at this point, I just hope Doherty did everything possible to get him here...
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Sic_em wrote:PK,
Vilarino was not a transfer...he had signed an LOI with Kentucky, but after the coaching change, Calipari released him from his LOI and he became a recruitable athlete again.

I wasn't being completely serious when I asked the question about whether Doherty even contacted Vilarino, but in reality Doh should've been knocking down the kid's door trying to get him to the Hilltop. Did that happen? While it's understandable when a kid picks Gonzaga over SMU at this point, I just hope Doherty did everything possible to get him here...

I don't know about knocking down the kid's door but I do know that they tried to get involved. Also, Gonzaga has an excellent returning pg prospect in Goodson out of Spring, Tx. who will just be a soph next year.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball