PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Story on Scott Drew

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Story on Scott Drew

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Geoff Calkins: Scott Drew's peers shocked Memphis would consider Baylor coach
By Geoff Calkins (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Originally published 05:52 p.m., April 3, 2009
Updated 06:12 p.m., April 3, 2009
So the conversation turned to the Memphis coaching search, and the Division I head coach asked who the Tigers search team might be going after next.
“Do they KNOW Scott Drew?â€
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:57 pm

I bet this guy is the Memphis Skip Bayless. Pretty unbalaced report if you ask me. The guy coached Baylor to their first NCAA Tournament since I was born I think. Also made the Finals of the NIT. He competes against 11 Big State institutions at Baylor with less resources in a tough place to recruit to. He has more than held his own and he built the program from scatch rather than getting a job that already was recognized. But I don't think he's a paricularly good match either. Memphis could do a lot worse
Stallion

Postby George S. Patton » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Stallion wrote:I bet this guy is the Memphis Skip Bayless. Pretty unbalaced report if you ask me. The guy coached Baylor to their first NCAA Tournament since I was born I think. Also made the Finals of the NIT. He competes against 11 Big State institutions at Baylor with less resources in a tough place to recruit to. He has more than held his own and he built the program from scatch rather than getting a job that already was recognized. But I don't think he's a paricularly good match either. Memphis could do a lot worse

When we beat Baylor in 1988 to win the SWC tournament, we went to the NCAA tournament along with them and I think Arkansas. That Baylor team featured Darrell Middleton. I want to say Baylor lost to Memphis in the first round of that team.

I'm not really shocked about the comments about Drew. They've been going around for the last two years. I'm sure he's no saint, but if there is this much screaming about him, then something in me tells me they feel threatened by his ability to recruit.

Let's face it. There are some power schools who believe they are entitled to the best players and when Baylor comes along, they know that's not the way the order should be.

It's amusing. If you're Drew, you look at that. If you're Memphis, you absolutely consider him.
George S. Patton

Postby Pony Up » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:57 pm

I live in Waco, but I've never met the guy. But from what I've heard from people who have, the descriptions pretty much match what I've heard.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:25 am

Why hasn't our top reporter Dale Hansen uncovered this outrage in Waco?
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hilltopper » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:24 pm

Because that would involve him actually covering something. I gather he doesn't even pick up the phone unless there's poker or a tee time to arrange.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby friarwolf » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:46 pm

The guy from Memphis pretty much nailed it................
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Sic_em » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Patton & Stallion both nailed it.
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:17 am

that was an unfortunate choice of words
Stallion

Return to Basketball