PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Memphis Hires New Coach

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Memphis Hires New Coach

Postby ponydawg » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 pm

This is rather old in todays news, but no one has commented on the hire.
Thoughts?

Josh Pastner
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:05 pm

WDNWHA
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:50 am

I think the lack of comments shows what kind of hire this is - one that won't get people talking. While he sounds like a great assistant, and worthy of getting a head coach job somewhere, Memphis needed a big splash if they want to stay at the level they have been at the last 5 years.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:57 am

maybe not much sizzle, but look for this guy to take good players out of our backyard. Young, smart, aggressive. Not every hire is about name value.
Hoop Fan

Postby bagice » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:32 am

I think it is a hire that will work out well for Memphis, but it is not what they wanted to do, they wanted to take all their Money and prestige and hire a big name coach away from a power conference school, after several attempts and rebuffs, they finally settled on their top assistant.

He looks to have the makings of a great recruiter, and may convince one or two of their incoming class to stay on board, although they already lost Cousins to UK.

Sure there will be some growing pains and the roster may be a bit thin for them next year, but they should bounce back nicely in 2-3 years. Need to get our act together in these next two years.
Womack + Wishbone = Heisman

Class of 89
bagice
Heisman

Postby mathman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:02 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:maybe not much sizzle, but look for this guy to take good players out of our backyard. Young, smart, aggressive. Not every hire is about name value.

I agree with Hoop Fan on this. Probably the smartest thing they could do when they couldn't get the big name they wanted.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:36 pm

the Pastner hire makes me laugh at Cougar high for keeping Penders around.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:06 pm

not a great hire IMO. memphis wont be as strong as they've been the past few years. they will lose a conference game this year
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:19 pm

jkflamebo wrote:not a great hire IMO. memphis wont be as strong as they've been the past few years. they will lose a conference game this year

they had to try to get a name, but its not like anybody they could get would be close to Calipari anyway. Bruce Pearl? Please, i would rather have Pastner. They have to groom their own Calipari reincarnated now. Actually, i could see Pastner being a Billy Donavan type of guy in his Providence days...young coach, all the credentials, will get it done.
Hoop Fan

Postby The XtC » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Dont underestimate Pastner. He has impressed people everywhere he's played/coached. He's young, but people who've met him know that he knows what he's doing.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby ASDF » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 pm

I just read an article from the Sporting News that Pastner is trying to hire Xavier Henry's dad as the next Director of Basketball Operations. I think the article was a couple of days old, so if this has been discussed I'm sorry.
ASDF
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:34 pm

I wouldn't complain if SMU hired Jim Jeffoat out from under his job at UH for its Defensive vacancy.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Stallion wrote:I wouldn't complain if SMU hired Jim Jeffoat out from under his job at UH for its Defensive vacancy.

for that matter, you can hire him a basketball coach too...let Doh and JJ fight over junior.
Hoop Fan

Postby MustangIcon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:43 pm

Stallion wrote:I wouldn't complain if SMU hired Jim Jeffoat out from under his job at UH for its Defensive vacancy.

I believe Jeffcoat Junior isn't even considering UH in his recruitment though. please correct me if I am wrong there.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:52 pm

I could even live with that-but you never know. I think he would be quite imposing on recruiting trips and would be welcomed by most local coaches and players.
Stallion

Next

Return to Basketball