PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIU names new Coach

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:57 am

MustangIcon wrote:He actually had some strong success in talent evaluation through the draft. His first 4 years as an exec. were all spent wioth the Toronto Raptors and his four first round picks were- Damon Staudamire, Marcus Camby, Vince Carter, and Tracy McGrady. Don't really recall who he picked while at Indiana (or maybe he was actually only coach there). With the Knicks he stole David Lee late and had a couple other good pickups as well.

That said, I don't think he will do a great job at FIU. Hopefully he does a better job than Drexler did at UH. That was a train wreck.

Actually, he only had input on the 1st two. He quit the Raptors after his bid to buy them failed miserably. Glen Grunwald actually made those latter picks.

As for Indiana, Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh ran that show, so I doubt he had a lot of input as far as picks go.

As for the Knicks, just remember the name Renaldo Balkman.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby fivemon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:16 pm

i figured it out the reason that he is working for free is none other than the cost to have some of the finest attorneys on retainer for future harassment and other such lawsuits
fivemon
Varsity

Postby Dooby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex wrote:
MustangIcon wrote:He actually had some strong success in talent evaluation through the draft. His first 4 years as an exec. were all spent wioth the Toronto Raptors and his four first round picks were- Damon Staudamire, Marcus Camby, Vince Carter, and Tracy McGrady. Don't really recall who he picked while at Indiana (or maybe he was actually only coach there). With the Knicks he stole David Lee late and had a couple other good pickups as well.

That said, I don't think he will do a great job at FIU. Hopefully he does a better job than Drexler did at UH. That was a train wreck.

Actually, he only had input on the 1st two. He quit the Raptors after his bid to buy them failed miserably. Glen Grunwald actually made those latter picks.

As for Indiana, Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh ran that show, so I doubt he had a lot of input as far as picks go.

As for the Knicks, just remember the name Renaldo Balkman.

Damon Staudamire and Marcus Camby never appeared in all-star games. I know GM's miss a lot, but when you always have a lottery pick, you are going to get something out of the draft.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Beanman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Lets see......
Lousy record
Can't get along with his players
Or management
Sexual harrassment suit
Basically sat out his last year w/ Knicks
Drug problem leading to attempted suicide.

Sounds like someone that we should go after. Huh?
Where oh where is Hayden Fry
Beanman
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:07 am

Isiah would get out coached at the YMCA. He is a name but a terrible coach
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball