PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Doh announces blog entry about Clinkscale via Twitter

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby ponydawg » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:44 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Two signs that he had nothing to do with this blog:

1. There's a dateline on this. A dateline? When would a blog put a dateline on anything?

2. There is no personalization with this entry. Matt's quick thoughts on "why we like Rodney" and blah, blah.

This is such a poor attempt by whoever to react to the public, it's laughable.

1) It was an article that was copied and pasted.

2) They gave the link to the article in his blog.

3) Slow down.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:33 pm

I thought it was excellent link-wished I'd found it-interesting perspective from his local paper and JC Coach. Usually, SMU waits until the entire Class before putting out a press release on the signing class.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:02 pm

I don't have an issue with the linked story. You guys are missing the point. If we got something more out of Doherty with the link, then great. But it looked sloppy and let's just throw it on there for the sake of doing it.

That's the problem I have. And if it's nit picking, then so be it. This coaching staff has to do it cleaner than most. It's not a big-time Division I way of doing things.

But if you can accept that, then more power to you.
George S. Patton

Postby MustangIcon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:13 pm

See the comments from his coach in the article quote below:

The Mustangs are one of the tallest teams in Conference USA, which also features perennial NCAA powerhouse Memphis — something Trenkle thinks Clinkscales can thrive on out on the perimeter. SMU will feature four weapons in the post at 6 foot 9 or taller next year.
"He's got a serious post presence surrounding him all the time, which will really open up the perimeter for a player like Rodney," Trenkle said. "He's not going to have to face the box-and-one every night, and he's going to be one step ahead of any freshman guard and a lot of sophomore guards he faces, because not a lot of guys get to average 34 minutes a game as a freshman like he did.
"I think he steps right in there and turns into one of their better guards next season, and I see big things for Rodney in the future."

If this kid put up 19ppg on 40% 3pt shooting facing box and 1 defenses then there is no doubt in my mind he will be one of our better guards next season and one of the better players on the roster.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:20 pm

MustangIcon wrote:
papawasamustang wrote:The Rudy's BBQ Doh is talking about is right across from Frisco Wakeland.
2 pretty good prospects there. Preston Whitley & Nick Hinton.
Whitley is a 6'4 Sr that avg 22 pts per game & Hinton is a legit 6'9 lefty with a nice touch.

I have actually heard a little about Hinton. I hear he definitely has a nice feel for the game but still aggresive (thank goodness, bc we don't want any passive bigs!). Unfortunately I heard he wasn't close to that 6'9 figure but closer to 6'6 or 6'7. Of course the person I spoke with may have seen him before his senior season and he certainly could have grown since then. Papa, can you give us a little more insight into his game from what you have seen? I think he has a couple of decent offers- maybe Utah being one if I recall correctly.

I've seen Nick up close & he's 6'8 or 6'9. He needs to get into the weight room & get alot stronger but he does have a very nice touch from the 15-20 ft, runs the court well & has a good basketball IQ. He has alot of upside in my opinion.

Really don't know anything about the Whitley kid but 22ppg along with that size (if he is a guard) should mean he is a pretty sought after prospect. Any info on him for us?

Whitley is 6'4-6'5, strong build type who will attend A&M Commerce.
The big question about him is position. Is he a SG or SF.
Can he handle the ball & quick enough for SG & is he big enough for a SF>
[/b]
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby MustangIcon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for the info, Papa.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby bagice » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:23 pm

I totally agree, I know some people were a bit put off with the Cloak and Daggers of this signing, but I think this is a big deal. SMU is going to have a "run and gun" offense next year and put him in with McCoy, Williams, Nyakundi and Haynes, we may have something.

Obviously, McCoy is a big time scorer, and Williams showed he can be too when he got 30 points when McCoy is out...Add that in with Nyakundi's deadly accurate three pointers (this kid is a pure shooter, he takes many of his shots well behind the three point line, and when he is on, they catch nothing but net) and I still point to Haynes, Doherty says this guy will be all conference before he is done and I look for him to vastly improve next year and really break out.

Francis fills the Bamba void and Clinkscales will fit in very nicely, I fully expect all our youngsters to be better next year and look for great things from SMU next season.
Womack + Wishbone = Heisman

Class of 89
bagice
Heisman

Postby The XtC » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:39 am

The Mustangs are one of the tallest teams in Conference USA, which also features perennial NCAA powerhouse Memphis — something Trenkle thinks Clinkscales can thrive on out on the perimeter. SMU will feature four weapons in the post at 6 foot 9 or taller next year.
"He's got a serious post presence surrounding him all the time, which will really open up the perimeter for a player like Rodney," Trenkle said.

Serious post presence........... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this guy didnt see film of any of our games.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:46 am

The XtC wrote:
"He's got a serious post presence surrounding him all the time, which will really open up the perimeter for a player like Rodney," Trenkle said.

Serious post presence........... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this guy didnt see film of any of our games.

Or if he did it was when Dia was on. Dia is a big question mark for next season. Faye should improve and be a big contributor.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangLaxer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:49 am

George S. Patton wrote:I don't have an issue with the linked story. You guys are missing the point. If we got something more out of Doherty with the link, then great. But it looked sloppy and let's just throw it on there for the sake of doing it.

That's the problem I have. And if it's nit picking, then so be it. This coaching staff has to do it cleaner than most. It's not a big-time Division I way of doing things.

But if you can accept that, then more power to you.

If you were a professor you would be the biggest pain in the [deleted]...
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball