PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

So are we still giving this thing time?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

So are we still giving this thing time?

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:18 am

I've been pro-Doh since day one. But not in my wildest dreams did I think we'd fall to single digit wins by year three. And now...where did the recruiting go? Seriously, this year's class looks like a sabotage attempt, not unlike what took place in Major League when the owner wanted the team to tank the season, filling the roster with as many also-rans as possible.

Maybe it's never as bad as it seems, and never as good as it seems, but c'mon. We're gonna turn around this runaway train with a recruiting class which has a star rating of NR?
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: So are we still giving this thing time?

Postby MustangIcon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:38 am

RGV Pony wrote:I've been pro-Doh since day one. But not in my wildest dreams did I think we'd fall to single digit wins by year three. And now...where did the recruiting go? Seriously, this year's class looks like a sabotage attempt, not unlike what took place in Major League when the owner wanted the team to tank the season, filling the roster with as many also-rans as possible.
Maybe it's never as bad as it seems, and never as good as it seems, but c'mon. We're gonna turn around this runaway train with a recruiting class which has a star rating of NR?

- Julius Francis has a grade of 83 according to ESPN. For perspective, McCoy had a rating of 88 last year. Also, Francis was offered by TCU but chose SMU. Everyone on the board has been quick to gush over TCU's hoops recruiting but no one has highlighted the fact they we got a player they wanted.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiti ... son%3d2009

- Clinkscales averaged 19 ppg and shot 40% from 3pt land as a JUCO freshman. For comparison's sake, our JUCO signee last year, D Williams, averaged 19 ppg as a JUCO soph, and averaged only 11 ppg his freshman year. What did Williams do last year in his first year at SMU? Was named co-MVP of the team after averaging 13ppg, second on the team. If Clinkscales has that kind of season for SMU next year he will end up being a GREAT addition.

- This new commit I will admit to thinking he may be more of a reach. Of course, I know nothing about the guy other than he is pretty damn big and averaged only 5 and 5 last season.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball