PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Schedule recommendation DFW Shootout

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I like the idea of these schools each playing one another every year, but not sure a tourney format is the right way to go...unless all would agree to a 4 team, two round tourney to crown a champion each year. I don't see these 4 schools having enough combined fan support or local interest in our programs to sell 2 nights worth of tickets, much less 3 nights. The other issue is when/where to play.

I think I would prefer everyone scheduling everyone else and if anyone sweeps, they could be awarded the "mayor's trophy" or some such award. Anyone winning that trophy gets to keep it unless/until someone else sweeps the others. Make it a traveling trophy. If all of our programs improve, local media might get interested...especially if one school has held the trophy for several years.

None of our programs have the kind of fan support that can help us schedule quality home games, so this might at least generate a little more interest than playing the likes of Alabama State. Keeping it in the Metroplex might actually generate a little bit of interest for fans of each school to travel to the "road" sites.

We already have been playing the 3 games in 3 nights format so I don't c a problem with it.
Also, you would have 3 road games that would not have alot of travel expenses while having decent road fan support. Maybe we could finally win a road game.
Adding the HS or JUCO piece to the tourney would also help generate fan support & revenue.
If we want to continue just to do the home/away thing with TCU than keep UTA, UNT in the mix & add a Baylor, TT or Ark & keep it @ Moody.
Our home schedule has really sucked with Doh as HC & I would much rather spend my $$ on these types of games rather than the Alabama States, Hou Baptists, Pine Bluff's of the world. I did enjoy having Colorado @ Moody last season.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball