PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

John Wall

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

John Wall

Postby 50's PONY » Fri May 01, 2009 4:58 pm

If anyone wants to know how Kentucky fans feel about this then I suggest you take a few minutes and go to the Lexington paper and read their comments. Amazing!

Posted on Thu, Apr. 30, 2009
Top prospect Wall wants to review another school

The recruitment of highly-regarded point guard prospect John Wall got more complicated on Thursday when it became known that he wanted to visit North Carolina Central on Friday.

Wall, who is rated as the No. 1 prospect in the nation by Rivals.com, told the Raleigh (N.C.) News & Observer that he wanted to look at a historically black school.

Wall is seen as the missing piece in Kentucky's recruitment. He's also being pursued by such college basketball heavyweights as Duke and Florida.

North Carolina Central is a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, an NCAA Division I conference.

Lavelle Moton, a former standout at Central, was named as the Eagles head coach this spring. Moton has known Wall and worked with him for years.

"I want to find out what a historically black school has to offer," Wall told the News & Observer Thursday night. "This is a visit to find out some things."

Wall had planned to trim his list of eight schools to three or four by Friday, but, "truthfully, it looks like it is going to be Monday now," Wall told the newspaper.

N.C. State, Baylor, Kentucky, Miami, Duke, Kansas, Memphis and Florida on Wall's list.

Wall continued to say he has no leaders or group of leaders. He said that Internet reports that he had cut his list to Kentucky, Miami, Duke and Florida were erroneous.

"I have not told anyone a group of leaders," he said. "In my mind, the schools are even."

© 2009 Kentucky.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.kentucky.com
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Mon May 04, 2009 10:40 am

Looks like Mr. Wall has been engaging in some extracurricular activities as of late.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/ri ... id=4135650
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby ASDF » Mon May 04, 2009 11:08 am

I had a conversation with Bob Sharp on this overall topic - not John Wall specific. Having some good sources within the southeast basketball recruiting circles, I can say that if the rules remain the same that some of the historically black colleges are going to start landing some major recruits.

I would give it a 50/50 chance that in the next 5 years one school will land 2-3 top recruits and make a deep run in the NCAA's.
ASDF
Recruit

Postby FriscoPMG » Mon May 04, 2009 12:44 pm

ASDF wrote:I had a conversation with Bob Sharp on this overall topic - not John Wall specific. Having some good sources within the southeast basketball recruiting circles, I can say that if the rules remain the same that some of the historically black colleges are going to start landing some major recruits.

I would give it a 50/50 chance that in the next 5 years one school will land 2-3 top recruits and make a deep run in the NCAA's.

Just curious -- what current rules are in place that are allowing these smaller all black colleges to potentially steal a top recruit from the big time teams?
And is there any way SMU can position itself as a historically all black college? :shock:
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon May 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Their admissions are geared toward African Americans so SAT and GPA scores are lower for the general student population, thus they can admit more athletes who are marginal academically.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ASDF » Mon May 04, 2009 3:25 pm

I agree with what EastStang says, but I don't think it is the main reason. There are plenty of major basketball programs that will admit kids who have slim chances of having any academic success.

The rule I was talking about is the one year requirement. Already you have seen the Arizona kid go to Europe to play. The vast majority of recruits who think they are "one and done' caliber do not focus on academics.

From things I have witnessed and things I have been told, there is a small but increasing "pitch' that is being made some of the "one and done" recruits. The pitch includes:

1. Returning HBCs to the national attention in athletics, but also to the academically gifted Africian American students

2. A tough non-conferance schedule coupled with winning the confernece and making the NCAA tounament will be enough to showcase your skills. (Memphis Model). North Carolina Central for example could play the four in-state ACC schools and sec team without any real travel expense.

3. A better chance to show off your individual skill. the ball will be in your hand 90% of the time.

4. The NBA scouts know you and will find you. You do not need to play against top team every night.

5. As an Africian American you should attended one of the HBCs

I am not endorsing the idea, but I think it has a chance of becoming a reality.
ASDF
Recruit

Postby MustangIcon » Mon May 04, 2009 4:17 pm

ASDF wrote:
1. Returning HBCs to the national attention in athletics, but also to the academically gifted Africian American students

2. A tough non-conferance schedule coupled with winning the confernece and making the NCAA tounament will be enough to showcase your skills. (Memphis Model). North Carolina Central for example could play the four in-state ACC schools and sec team without any real travel expense.

3. A better chance to show off your individual skill. the ball will be in your hand 90% of the time.

4. The NBA scouts know you and will find you. You do not need to play against top team every night.

5. As an Africian American you should attended one of the HBCs

Just about any non-power conference school can offer 2-4 really. And 1 and 5 are pretty much the same point. So basically, some people think there could be sweeping change in recruitment of top players based solely on racial peer pressure? I am not convinced this will become anything close to a trend.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby ASDF » Mon May 04, 2009 8:46 pm

1. I don't think just about any non-power school can offer 2-4. Many schools and or coaches are not going to spend a great deal of time recruiting kids that are known "one and done". Memphis is he only non-power confernece team that I can think of that has been able to do it. Plus, I believe this will be year three or four of the one year rule and I some schools are still trying to determine were they stand on actively recruiting one year kids.

2. I think the HBCs are just starting to use this pitch.

3. I think #5 is starting to work. Just look at the article above.
ASDF
Recruit

Postby ASDF » Mon May 04, 2009 8:53 pm

I don't know that it will become a trend. I think a player or 2 will go to an HBC in the next 2-3 years. It will depend on how that works to see if it turns into a trend.

Jennings who went to Europe is not having the best season, so I don't think you will see that option turn into a trend. If he had a great year, the flood gates would have opened up.
ASDF
Recruit

Return to Basketball