PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

To Be An SMU Fan

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

To Be An SMU Fan

Postby bagice » Fri May 08, 2009 1:02 am

Painful YouTube memory...

We kicked the #4 team in the country's [deleted] all night, led by double digits most of the way on their home court, then with 8 minutes to go, we did not make another basket, had a few free throws here and there, but still, we had it won, it would take a miracle to keep us out of the WAC Semis....but Utah got one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awwUTHQhbcI

DAMN YOU VAN HORN>>>>YOU HAVE SUCKED SO MUCH< BUT HAD TO DO THAT TO US!!!!!!!!!!
Womack + Wishbone = Heisman

Class of 89
bagice
Heisman

Postby MidlandMustang » Fri May 08, 2009 9:56 am

I watched that game and threw up a twelve pack of beer when Van Horn made that bucket. That one really stung.
MidlandMustang
Varsity

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Fri May 08, 2009 10:16 am

Ah yes, the WAC tourney in Vegas. Lots of memorable games there, with this being one of them. I seem to recall that he actually did this to us twice that season.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby StangEsq » Fri May 08, 2009 1:03 pm

The snake has bitten us many wonderful times... this was one of hundreds. I am still waiting for a piano to fall from the sky on a runner as he nears the goal line.

Just a few i can think of offhand:

- mid 90s - lost after having the ball at UCLA 1 yd line, on the road
- mid 90s - lost after scoring on ATM at ATM with ~30 secs left on miracle TD pass
- mid 90s - this ridiculous 1 in 1000 play vs Utah
- mid 90s - having 20 RBs injured and losing to 0-10 TCU to blow bowl game opportunity
- last year - ridiculous shot at buzzer vs. marshall
- early 2000s - ~25 point 4th quarter comeback by Mississippi
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri May 08, 2009 7:29 pm

you forget the Rice game on the 1 yard line getting stuffed 3x in a row? with the great play calling under Bennett

and the many bball buzzer losers over the years, there have been plenty....
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Paladin » Tue May 12, 2009 12:44 pm

StangEsq wrote:The snake has bitten us many wonderful times... this was one of hundreds. I am still waiting for a piano to fall from the sky on a runner as he nears the goal line.

Just a few i can think of offhand:

- mid 90s - lost after having the ball at UCLA 1 yd line, on the road
- mid 90s - lost after scoring on ATM at ATM with ~30 secs left on miracle TD pass
- mid 90s - this ridiculous 1 in 1000 play vs Utah
- mid 90s - having 20 RBs injured and losing to 0-10 TCU to blow bowl game opportunity
- last year - ridiculous shot at buzzer vs. marshall
- early 2000s - ~25 point 4th quarter comeback by Mississippi

How could you leave off that list the Holiday Bowl game with BYU..
Paladin
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Yes, but then there was Carl Wright's last second bucket at UNC to beat the #1 ranked Heels. Bobby Leach's miracle. Arthur Wittington's kick off return after Rice scored with a few seconds left on the clock. 31 point 2nd half comeback against Baylor led by a second string QB. Last second shot to beat TCU two years ago in hoops. We've had some good moments to go with the bad ones over the years. Just the last quarter century its mostly bad ones.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby bagice » Tue May 12, 2009 1:47 pm

Good Points, the only thing I would counter though was that miracle that went against us was Deep in the WAC tournament...That team was really coming together and I believe if we would have won that game, we had a good shot at the NIT, hell we may could have won it all, considering we woulda knocked the best team out.

I enjoyed the buzzer beater to beat TCU a couple of years ago, but that had little impact.
Womack + Wishbone = Heisman

Class of 89
bagice
Heisman

Return to Basketball