PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jimmy Tubbs Passed Away This Morning

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby The XtC » Thu May 14, 2009 3:15 am

George S. Patton wrote:Friend of mine told me Tubbs had been dealing with some blood pressure problems lately.

Jimmys health problems began long ago. At the time that he was fired i was actually glad, because he was in such poor health I was scared for him.

I started this thread 3 years ago, and I wanted to repost it here one more time, because it's still just as true now. I still consider him my good friend.

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... highlight=

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:34 am Post subject: Jimmy Tubbs is my friend.

I wanted to begin by saying that I�ve known Jimmy Tubbs for 15 years, and I�ve always considered him a friend. I wanted to state that first, so that there is no misunderstanding. I�ll readily admit that my viewpoint can be skewed by the fact that I�ve known him so long, and always had a high opinion of him. I have always respected Jimmy for his basketball acumen, and warm and open personality. Most of all, though, I have always admired his dedication and loyalty to SMU, he truly wanted to make this city and this institution his home. He wanted to build a winner at SMU, and keep running a winning program here until he was ready to retire. SMU wasn�t a stepping stone to a bigger and better job, he wanted to make it his home, and his life�s work.

I�m not the only one who thought highly of Jimmy, if you ask any athlete who played basketball at SMU between 1990 and 2002, you�ll find that respect and admiration for Jimmy are fairly universal. For many, it was more than just liking the man, he was their father figure during their time on the Hilltop. The charming personality I mentioned before was the reason many of them chose to come to SMU.

I want the best for Jimmy, but that being said, I was also a Mustang athlete once, and I�ve been an alum for even longer than I�ve known him. So, if it comes down to a choice between what�s best for my friend, and what�s best for my alma mater, that isn�t a choice at all. I�ll be a Mustang until I die. So, now it�s time to seriously evaluate, what�s best for Jimmy, and what�s best for SMU.

Some may disagree, but I think getting fired is one of the best things that could happen to Jimmy. Over the last few months I�ve been watching both his physical and mental health deteriorate, and I was worried for him. Now the pressure is off, and he can rest. He�s still getting paid his full salary, but he can collect it from the comfort of his living room sofa. If he wants to find another job it�ll take about a week, he�ll make a valuable assistant coach to any program within 500 miles of Dallas. But I�d really hope he just rests for a while first. Besides, the buyout makes him rich, he doesn�t need to work at all if he doesn�t want to.

Retiring early may not be what Jimmy wanted, but the job situation had reached the point where leaving was much better than staying. The investigation had cut his knees out from under him. Not many recruits were willing to even consider stepping into this [deleted] storm, and the administration wasn�t going to allow him to deal with the rebellious faction within the team, so his chances of success here were degrading with every passing day. Leaving the job unfinished was the last thing he wanted, but it really became inevitable.

Was firing Jimmy the best thing for SMU? No way to tell, it depends too much on who is hired to be the new coach. If who ever that is comes in and lights a fire under the team and rights the ship, then in the long run it may turn out to be for the best. That�s a big �IF�, though and we wont have an answer for a few years down the line.

In the short term, this is an unmitigated disaster. SMU is a laughing stock, one more time. As far as the public can see, we�re firing a coach because he helped a player do laundry. If there was anything more to the NCAA investigation than this, it damn sure should have been made public by now. Recruiting season is about done, whoever is hired as the new coach will have slim pickings to bring in to fill the holes on a team that struggled to score points last year, and lost its go-to player on offense. He may also find himself recruiting in hostile territory, in some places where Jimmy was popular a new SMU coach may not be welcome. The new coach will also have to know that he�s being hired by a lame duck AD. A month after he starts work he�ll have a new boss, a guy that didn�t hire him.

Some players may leave, and there may be a problem with some that stay. Its true, as has been rumored on this board, that some of the current players on the team didn�t like or respect Coach Tubbs. It may have started as far back as Mike Dements last year. Dement lost control of the team, the players just stopped listening to him, and he never even tried to restrain or discipline Hopkins. When Jimmy came in, he tried to rein in Hopkins, but that just created resentment. I�m not talking about the entire team, less than half actually, but the question is if they didn�t respect Jimmy, will they have any respect for the new coach? Will they be willing to accept discipline and coaching from whomever comes in next? Will SMU be able to hire the type of coach who can handle that type of situation, and regain control right off the bat? If not, things will get worse before they get better.

In regards to the investigation, I�m not going to go through all the threads and write this over again, because it�s the same thing I�ve been saying for months. The allegations amount to nothing. So far there�s no evidence of real violations. People are getting hurt over something absolutely ridiculous, SMU hasn�t just shot themselves in the foot, they�ve blown away their own kneecaps. If there was any evidence, Tubbs wouldn�t have gotten his contract buyout. If there was any evidence, someone should have made it public before this, because right now SMU looks like they couldn�t find their own [deleted] in a broom closet, if you gave them a road map and a flashlight. You can choose to believe me, or not. I�m not going to try to convince anyone, I know what I know

I had more to say, but its getting late and I�m tired, so I�m going to leave it with this. Two days ago I dropped by Moody and gave a check for $1,000 to the women�s basketball coaches, to help pay for the teams awards banquet. That�s the last dime SMU is going to see from me, for a while. They damn well better not serve hamburgers at the banquet.

To Jimmy Tubbs I want to say thanks, and good luck. Thanks for trying, and thanks for your loyalty. Good luck with whatever you do. Sincerely, Jon Embree.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball