PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Retread topic of Rob Evans

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Retread topic of Rob Evans

Postby George S. Patton » Tue May 12, 2009 8:25 am

Should Doherty flame out in 2009-2010, would he still be a candidate or is he so far removed from the game that it wouldn't be a good idea to go down this road?

I'm really at a loss to know what the temperature is on this.
George S. Patton

Re: Retread topic of Rob Evans

Postby PonyDoh » Tue May 12, 2009 8:53 am

George S. Patton wrote:Should Doherty flame out in 2009-2010, would he still be a candidate or is he so far removed from the game that it wouldn't be a good idea to go down this road?

He's mid 60s, born in '45 or '46, and has a career 500% winning percentage as a head man. I'd rather roll the dice w/a young gun that can recruit. No Doh style retreads. New life
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 am

He is an assistant at Arkansas, so he is not too far removed.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue May 12, 2009 10:50 pm

here is what i would liked to have seen happen 3 years ago and its not hindsight because I advocated it as the best thing that SMU could do under the circumstances before Doh was chosen: hire Rob Evans as head coach with a young beast of a recruiter as the handpicked successor. Evans could have minimized the negative PR and done a fine job in the process. He would have been the right bridge at the right time. Make him a mentor to a dynamite young assistant who would love to be groomed for a decent, well paying D-1 job with a great recruiting bed in the backyard, and suddenly you have a real plan, not just a hope certificate. novel concept. Instead SMU poured salt into the wound.

Dohs profile and rep worried me from the start and when you combine the challenge of overcoming the Burgers & Tide scandal, well, not sure a class at wharton b-school can change you enough and prepare you for that.
Hoop Fan

Postby Buddha » Wed May 13, 2009 2:03 am

My Vote is that this young team comes of age in 2009-10 and ends this discussion by winning significantly more games.
Buddha
All-American

Postby BUS » Wed May 13, 2009 7:44 am

SMU needs to win this year and after 3 years that can be in the plans. Why do we talk of next coaches when we have years to go on the current ones contract.

Does someone on this board have a few million to bully SMU with?
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PonyDoh » Wed May 13, 2009 9:59 am

BUS wrote:SMU needs to win this year and after 3 years that can be in the plans. Why do we talk of next coaches when we have years to go on the current ones contract.

Does someone on this board have a few million to bully SMU with?

It was my understanding it was a 4 year deal w/an option. Right now, we are staring at the 4th year, and at best, a 16 win team. This coming off 10 & 9 win seasons. Why wouldn't this be a topic of conversation? By comparison to many schools, that make similar coaching moves, SMU is loaded.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Retread topic of Rob Evans

Postby The XtC » Thu May 14, 2009 3:19 am

PonyDoh wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:Should Doherty flame out in 2009-2010, would he still be a candidate or is he so far removed from the game that it wouldn't be a good idea to go down this road?

He's mid 60s, born in '45 or '46, and has a career 500% winning percentage as a head man. I'd rather roll the dice w/a young gun that can recruit. No Doh style retreads. New life

But he is also Gerald Turners friend and former roommate. For that reason, if no other, he will still be a candidate.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby The XtC » Thu May 14, 2009 3:20 am

Buddha wrote:My Vote is that this young team comes of age in 2009-10 and ends this discussion by winning significantly more games.

how many is "significantly more"? is it 12? 15-16, maybe? Or are you really dreaming big for say 20?
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu May 14, 2009 10:35 am

There is only one hope for Doh right now and that's winning. He didn't recruit his way out. He now needs to coach his way out. What is the magic number he needs to save his job? I suspect he's been told or Orsini has a magic number in his head. I suspect a big part of it will have to do with our conference record. Given the way Bennett was treated by Orsini, he was told his expectations and did not meet them and was fired once it was clear those expectations would not be met.
EastStang

Return to Basketball