PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is this Doh's last season?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is this Doh's last season?

Postby Billy Joe » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:28 am

What will it take for Doh to keep his job? Does a winning season allow him to return?
Billy Joe
All-American

Re: Is this Doh's last season?

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:07 am

Doh expects to win this season. I predict an overall winning percentage and his team playing hard, well and with a good attitude will keep him on the hilltop. Anything less and SO needs to decide if this program is headed in the right direction.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:51 am

IIRC in an interview with SO he stated that anything less than a .500 performance would be unacceptable. I would assume that was the 'line in the sand' for doh to stay or go.
I hope this program will get rolling and suprise us all.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby bagice » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:11 am

He needs a plus 500 season to take the heat off, but I expect him to be extended, especially since his recruiting is really gaining some traction and momentum, at this rate, we could be pretty damn good and near the top of the conference in a couple of years.

So I hope they do well this year just to remove the heat and discussions like this, but I really believe this was a "tear it all down to build it back up" job and we are on the way back up now.

An 18-20 win season could go along way in keeping the momentum going...either way though, I do not see this as his last year..I see it as the year that determines how much and how long of an extension he can ask for.
Womack + Wishbone = Heisman

Class of 89
bagice
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 pm

First, they'll improve a great deal, I think. Second, he's going to get at least one more year after this. You don't bring on two recruiting assistants in June, one regional & one national, to can the staff in March or whenever. Since those guys were added, we've landed two of the better recruits etc, even though those can be more directly attributed to Lutz and Doh.

Doh was brought in to gut this program and rebuild. Mistakes were made, but as you look at the projected rosters in '10 and '11, this program is clearly getting more talented. Wins in CUSA come from roster strength, not Xs and Os. We have some traction, and are loading up, whether the rest of the league realizes it or not. Color me encouraged.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Good question. This is a really important time for SMU basketball. I like stability but if its a repeat performance & we are the doormat or hanging around the cellar again than Doh must go.
I think/hope we will see 18-19 wins & its a non issue. Looking forward to an exciting season.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Mestengo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:50 pm

I love pressure when it ain't on me! :shock:
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:53 am

Unfortunately, we'll be lucky to register 12 Ws.
Bergermeister

Postby Blvd_Stang » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:38 pm

There's mention of us in a major ESPN.com College basketball story...well kind of :roll:

I thought this was pretty funny though...ESPN.com What's Hot (and not) for 2009-2010

Recycled coaches: If Conference USA is looking for a motto, may we suggest the Ellis Island of coaching? Give us your tired (Mike Davis), your fired (Matt Doherty, Ben Braun), your unretired (Tom Penders) and your shamed (Larry Eustachy), we'll take 'em. No one is saying these guys should be run from the game. Heck, Eustachy, who on the scale of 1-to-Rick Pitino hasn't done much to be ashamed of, has done an admirable job at Southern Miss. But is there anything wrong with taking a risk once in a while?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2009/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4646332
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:39 am

Blvd_Stang wrote:There's mention of us in a major ESPN.com College basketball story...well kind of :roll:

I thought this was pretty funny though...ESPN.com What's Hot (and not) for 2009-2010

Recycled coaches: If Conference USA is looking for a motto, may we suggest the Ellis Island of coaching? Give us your tired (Mike Davis), your fired (Matt Doherty, Ben Braun), your unretired (Tom Penders) and your shamed (Larry Eustachy), we'll take 'em. No one is saying these guys should be run from the game. Heck, Eustachy, who on the scale of 1-to-Rick Pitino hasn't done much to be ashamed of, has done an admirable job at Southern Miss. But is there anything wrong with taking a risk once in a while?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2009/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4646332

The best example of that last line is Houston keeping Penders when they could have had Pastner. If they wanted to tap their ceiling, they should have made a play at Pastner.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUTitan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:53 pm

NIT, CBI, or CIT should be SMU's expectation with the NIT being a great season and the CBI or CIT being a better than average season this year.
BUTitan
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:03 pm

as PonyDoh says you can overlook the mistakes in that first class as long as he is still getting quality recruits into the program. He scored with the two best players on the team in last years class so let's see. I think the coaching staff additions are positive and I'd really like to give them a chance barring another collapse. The talent level to me looks much higher-although I'm always a little skeptical of the International players-now we need some tangible results.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Return to Basketball