PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Doh

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Doh

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:11 pm

I've been a Doh fan all along, but I have to say...he just seems giddy to jump in a player's face if they do what he doesn't think they should. I've witnessed first hand a LOT of coaches...watch Carlisle's demeanor...watch JJ's demeanor during a game...even Coach K, who's known to be much more profane than most think-I can't imagine what it must have been like at a game between UNC and Duke...K calling over his player to correct him; Doherty anxiously awaiting his player to come to the sideline to drive an index finger into his chest.

All along I've held out hope that Doh could get it done; early on he seemed to "get it," and maybe these three recruits will help. If not, let's see-we've built a 12M basketball center that's nicer than UNC's and ND's (per Doh) and that's good enough for the Mavs, we've loosened admission standards, we've evidently given him a budget allowing for trips all over the world to recruit...what gives?

On another note...between McCoy, Williams, Clinkscales, and Walker-do we have any guards over 6'? (disclaimer: yes, McCoy and Williams are ballers)
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Doh

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:19 pm

Slightly off topic, but what about Doh's pointing and screaming at the Aggie fans last night when Papa made the two free throws?!? I thought it was pretty comical. I know he meant it as a show of support for his player at the FT line, but a little ridiculous when we were still down 10-12 at the time.
As disgusting as it was having all those Aggies in Moody, it was nice having an atmosphere again in that place.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby SMU89 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:23 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I've been a Doh fan all along, but I have to say...he just seems giddy to jump in a player's face if they do what he doesn't think they should. I've witnessed first hand a LOT of coaches...watch Carlisle's demeanor...watch JJ's demeanor during a game...even Coach K, who's known to be much more profane than most think-I can't imagine what it must have been like at a game between UNC and Duke...K calling over his player to correct him; Doherty anxiously awaiting his player to come to the sideline to drive an index finger into his chest.

All along I've held out hope that Doh could get it done; early on he seemed to "get it," and maybe these three recruits will help. If not, let's see-we've built a 12M basketball center that's nicer than UNC's and ND's (per Doh) and that's good enough for the Mavs, we've loosened admission standards, we've evidently given him a budget allowing for trips all over the world to recruit...what gives?

On another note...between McCoy, Williams, Clinkscales, and Walker-do we have any guards over 6'? (disclaimer: yes, McCoy and Williams are ballers)

I think you do your yelling and correcting in practice.

It would be interesting to see Doh let the players play for five games where he provides nothing but encouragement.
SMU89

Postby NastyStang » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:36 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I've been a Doh fan all along, but I have to say...he just seems giddy to jump in a player's face if they do what he doesn't think they should. I've witnessed first hand a LOT of coaches...watch Carlisle's demeanor...watch JJ's demeanor during a game...even Coach K, who's known to be much more profane than most think-I can't imagine what it must have been like at a game between UNC and Duke...K calling over his player to correct him; Doherty anxiously awaiting his player to come to the sideline to drive an index finger into his chest.

I wouldn't be surprised if recruits are turned off by his coaching style. Any novice can watch last nights game and notice that the players are playing timid. We have athletes and Doh isn't letting them run. We missed countless fast break opportunities last night. Instead we walk it up, the players point and yell at each other for a few seconds and then McCoy or Williams create.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby indianmustang » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:38 am

he seems to be to eager to subsitute and hold reins tightly.not letting players play freely
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:20 am

indianmustang wrote:he seems to be to eager to subsitute and hold reins tightly.not letting players play freely

except for Harp :roll:
Pony_Fan

Postby EastStang » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:07 am

If I recall, this is what led to the UNC player revolt when Doh was there. That said, players should know that's what they are getting when they come to play for Doh. He's been around long enough to get a rep on that and it never seemed to hurt Bobby Knight in recruiting or during games. But there is a fine line between coaching up a player and tearing down a player (causing him to play tight). Great coaches like Knight, instinctively know when to ease up on the throttle, others never learn those instincts. If Doh is not seeing that line, he needs to learn real fast.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:04 pm

You guys are projecting, the players are fine with Doh. I'm sure they'd like to see the rotation trimmed,. Certainly less Carolina blue team stuff, and would like to see McCoy/Will reined back in, but the issues you guys raise don't really exist. They did when they weren't all his players, but not so much now. Why even bring up the pressure cooker that was UNC, in reference to this team? After all, we just had 6k attend a home game, 5k from the opposing school. The situations couldn't be any different.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:08 pm

PonyDoh wrote:You guys are projecting, the players are fine with Doh. I'm sure they'd like to see the rotation trimmed,. Certainly less Carolina blue team stuff, and would like to see McCoy/Will reined back in, but the issues you guys raise don't really exist. They did when they weren't all his players, but not so much now. Why even bring up the pressure cooker that was UNC, in reference to this team? After all, we just had 6k attend a home game, 5k from the opposing school. The situations couldn't be any different.

I was in Dallas for the last week for the Rice and UTEP games and made many contacts on campus including attending the A&M game. The issues the guys raise supra. are very real, exist and are glaringly apparent to those who are close to the program. He coaches in practice like he handles the team in games. Considerable criticism and little positive reinforcement. Kids are confused and no one dares step up. Eaststange is particularly on point.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 pm

BEAT FLORIDA GULF COAST
CalallenStang

Postby George S. Patton » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:32 pm

I think Doherty is a jerk, but he also recognizes what's at stake for his future. He has a team that can get to .500 because the schedule is made that way. What I hope is that what Dia did against A&M will kick in for a good part of the season.

McCoy probably has to trust his teammates more and pass but I would hope in these winnable games, they will find something there.

I felt the same way at the start of the football season with that ugly win over SFA. I thought what in the world is this. And now here we are in November with a chance to do something.

What you hope is that this team finds a rotation and a rhythm sometime after Thanksgiving, gets something really moving in December and builds toward conference play. Again, you have to account for Doherty's mindless starting lineups, questionable decisions and oddball substitution patterns. However, if there is an act of God, and he suddenly gets it, they may not be as bad.

South Florida game was a bad loss. I never thought we'd beat A&M. What's frustrating is that you have Dallas kids coming back to play here.

I know we're excited about the recruiting class that just signed. But I still think it tells you something about Doherty when he is starting his 4th season and he cannot get a sniff in Dallas. That's not good.

I just wonder if Doherty's egocentric Northeast attitude just turned everybody off in the South. It's hard to ignore it.
George S. Patton

Postby MustangIcon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:21 am

George S. Patton wrote:I know we're excited about the recruiting class that just signed. But I still think it tells you something about Doherty when he is starting his 4th season and he cannot get a sniff in Dallas. That's not good.

I just wonder if Doherty's egocentric Northeast attitude just turned everybody off in the South. It's hard to ignore it.

The reason many don't want to sniff SMU Hoops is the stench from the past 6-7 years of failure. You can jump Doherty for a lot of things, but I don't think this recruiting class or the fact that TEXAS A&M has dfw players on their team coming back to play against SMU.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby bubba pony » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:09 am

George S. Patton wrote:I just wonder if Doherty's egocentric Northeast attitude just turned everybody off in the South. It's hard to ignore it.

Ronda is from New Jersey and recruits local DFW talent and wins. (Just beat Arkansas)
Her Northeast attitude does very well at SMU. Try not to be a redneck when you review a person.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Mestengo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 am

I want to know how all of the Aggie Fans got in the blue seats. You can't buy the tickets from the box office they had to be given away or sold on stub hub for $100.00 per seat.
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU89 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:30 am

Mestengo wrote:I want to know how all of the Aggie Fans got in the blue seats. You can't buy the tickets from the box office they had to be given away or sold on stub hub for $100.00 per seat.

Some jerk probably sold his two seats.
SMU89

Next

Return to Basketball