PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

THAT'S IT...I'M CALLING OUT THE STUDENTS!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

THAT'S IT...I'M CALLING OUT THE STUDENTS!!!

Postby smupony » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:13 pm

You have got to be kidding me...Where are you??? And for the one's who did come, what are you doing???

-ATM's best player gets his fourth foul and we didn't even notice. No cheering, no nothing.

-ATM player fouls out, no "left, right, sit down!"

-We get the ball after an early comeback in the second half and we are cheering with Aggie while we are on offense.

-ATM air balls and I hear two students behind me yell it out.

I would look over at them and they are checking texts...Pathetic...College basketball relies on the student atmosphere and you didn't' help our players at all. Yell at the ref, get a chant going, create some energy.

I know you want a winner, but we got to help the team to win those games.

The season starts 11/21/09. We lost to the two best teams we will see this year (other than Memphis). Create some energy, but more importantly, KNOW WHAT TO DO...
smupony
All-American

Re: THAT'S IT...I'M CALLING OUT THE STUDENTS!!!

Postby NastyStang » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:19 pm

Agreed, pretty pathetic. Especially with A&M in town. I was lucky to be around for the Sasser, Willie, Hancock and Q days. We filled that whole sideline and more every game.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby ponydawg » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:19 pm

I didn't do the left right when he fouled out, just felt stupid talking smack when we were seconds from losing the game. Did you see doh yell at the student who was texting behind the bench.......pretty good.

Our offense is pretty boring. Our guards seem to be able to drive at will, hopefully when Robert is back Paul and Derrick can cut to the basket and dish it out for the 3 or go up and get hammered, instead of dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble..........crap, shoot!

P.S. make free throws.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:08 pm

ponydawg wrote:I didn't do the left right when he fouled out, just felt stupid talking smack when we were seconds from losing the game. Did you see doh yell at the student who was texting behind the bench.......pretty good.

Our offense is pretty boring. Our guards seem to be able to drive at will, hopefully when Robert is back Paul and Derrick can cut to the basket and dish it out for the 3 or go up and get hammered, instead of dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble..........crap, shoot!

P.S. make free throws.

Hey, I'm not saying our product is worth yelling until your lungs bleed, but atmosphere and crowd participation wins confidence and sometimes games.

I was also here for the Sasser days and we all knew how to cheer. I grew up in ACC country and thought this is how every college bball game was attended and played. We can have a little slice of that if our students got off their lazy rears and took some initiative.

It's sad when I've got to look at the students and wave my hands telling them to get up and do something during an important part of the game.
smupony
All-American

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:38 pm

I will agree with your point, but i must toot my own horn.

I spend countless hours every game digging up information on the other team and post it on a 'Stangs sheet along with a few funny pictures of the opposing players. I am hoarse today because I screamed the whole game, but unfortunately I only have one voice. What it comes down to is our players performing on the court, the casual fan will then start to come and show their enthusiasm. As frustrating as it is for me to say that, it is true. People could give a rat's a** about SMU bball, and they will continue to twiddle their thumbs at the game until we start winning.

Smu pony I am sorry that you could not hear me ,but I busted Davis's butt the whole game about fouling out (in warm ups no less), I yelled at Donald Sloan for his stupid facebook profile picture. You have no idea how pissed off I get every game when no one cares. I will still be at every game by 5:30 passing out game sheets in the hope that one day this student body cares enough to come out be obnoxious, and cheer smu to victory.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:40 pm

I see the same thing in football...students who have never watched football and continue to make as much noise as possible while were on offense. I ask them everytime,"why are you cheering while were on offense?" Every response is "we are supposed to motivate them." pathetic. And then it is silent on defense
Pony ^

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Pony ^ wrote:I see the same thing in football...students who have never watched football and continue to make as much noise as possible while were on offense. I ask them everytime,"why are you cheering while were on offense?" Every response is "we are supposed to motivate them." pathetic. And then it is silent on defense

We need a mandatory cheering tutorial at AARO.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Wuba » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:43 pm

Harry0569 wrote:I will agree with your point, but i must toot my own horn.

I spend countless hours every game digging up information on the other team and post it on a 'Stangs sheet along with a few funny pictures of the opposing players. I am hoarse today because I screamed the whole game, but unfortunately I only have one voice. What it comes down to is our players performing on the court, the casual fan will then start to come and show their enthusiasm. As frustrating as it is for me to say that, it is true. People could give a rat's a** about SMU bball, and they will continue to twiddle their thumbs at the game until we start winning.

Smu pony I am sorry that you could not hear me ,but I busted Davis's butt the whole game about fouling out (in warm ups no less), I yelled at Donald Sloan for his stupid facebook profile picture. You have no idea how pissed off I get every game when no one cares. I will still be at every game by 5:30 passing out game sheets in the hope that one day this student body cares enough to come out be obnoxious, and cheer smu to victory.

Was it your sheet that I saw a bunch of students holding up? Looked like Sterling Moore and some other football players were constantly holding it up and yelling at the Aggies.

Might be a good idea to post the sheet on here before the games if you can, I am sure a few people would print it out?
Wuba
All-American

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Yes, that was the sheet. I printed out pictures of Donald Sloan dressed as Rick James for Halloween, and Bryan Davis getting posterized by Blake Griffin, as well as a sheet that lists personal information about players.
Harry0569

Postby smupony » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Harry0569 wrote:I will agree with your point, but i must toot my own horn.

I heard about someone doing that. Keep it up! Get your friends/frat brothers or whatever. Most of my frat went and we were the ones everyone heard and joined in with. No pressure, but it is up to you to gather the troops. On behalf of the 30 something crowd who still stand and cheer, thanks.
smupony
All-American

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Here's an example of the Memphis game from last year.
‘Stangs Sheet

#14 Memphis Tigers: (18-3, 7-0). The Tighers have not lost a conference game yet this year. Tonight will be their first, IF WE, THE STUDENTS, DO OUR PART!

In the Calipari era (since 2000-01), Memphis is a perfect 8-0 in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but we need only remember their last two trips to SMU in March of 2007 and 2008 **We should be sick and tired of losing to Memphis** TONIGHT IS OUR NIGHT!! We need to do our best to bring the loudest, craziest, and magical college environment ever witnessed in the C-USA.
It is very important that the student section works together tonight, all in unison. This is vital during the entire game, but especially during:
Tip-off: Right after player intro’s, we will start chant: “S.M.U… S.MU…”
Defense: Chants such as “Defense”
We mimic what they do on the court (boink, boink, pass, shot, miss, we crescendo “ohhhh” when they are just holding the ball)
-AIRBALL we do a Indian chop and yell “airball, airball, airball, you suck”
-MOSTLY we yell “ohhhh” real real sweet and loud

Fouls
-When an opposing player picks up a foul, chant “YOU, YOU, YOU
When the player has 4 fouls we chant “four, four, four” flashing four on our hands
-When a player fouls out we say “ohhhhhh” (see above) until they sit at which point we say “see ya”
-If a players has more fouls than points, chant for example “4 fouls, 2 points”

Starters:
#12 Tyreke Evans

-Freshmen Phenom from Aston, PA (top 6 recruit coming out of high school)
-Nickname: “Hugo” & “Rainbow man”
-Was proven to be the driver in a drive by shooting involving his cousin. Chant “Drive-by, Drive-by”

#2 Robert Dozier
-Last February was the subject of a police report Tuesday alleging that he struck his girlfriend, LaParis Woods, who is a “dancer” at The Gold Club

#0 Shawn Taggart
-charged with inciting a riot and disorderly conduct outside “The Plush Club” in late 2007. (Mugshot attached—he is on the right)
-struggling as of late to do much of anything. If he commits a foul/turnover, jump all over him

#5 Antonio Anderson
-Heart and soul of the team
-Nickname: AA

#20 Doneal Mack
-Nickname: Bocephus
-Mack is shooting 51.9 percent (14-for-27) from beyond the arc in his last six games, averaging 11.6 points during that stretch.

Key Reserves:

#1 Willie Kemp
- one of the team's top three-point threats

#4 Pierre Henderson-Niles
-the biggest man you will see on the basketball court this year
-had an incident last year at UAB, where he slapped a fan after the game
-Dissatisified with playing time. His facebook status as of today was “"Pierre Niles Really not happy wit wats goin on rite in da bball family .. Jus wana say *** it so bad .."
Give him Hell while he is on the floor

#11 Wesley Witherspoon
-Freshmen
-A versatile player who can play the 1, 2, 3 and 4 spots
Harry0569

Postby smupony » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:57 pm

Harry0569 wrote:Here's an example of the Memphis game from last year.
‘Stangs Sheet

#14 Memphis Tigers: (18-3, 7-0). The Tighers have not lost a conference game yet this year. Tonight will be their first, IF WE, THE STUDENTS, DO OUR PART!

In the Calipari era (since 2000-01), Memphis is a perfect 8-0 in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but we need only remember their last two trips to SMU in March of 2007 and 2008 **We should be sick and tired of losing to Memphis** TONIGHT IS OUR NIGHT!! We need to do our best to bring the loudest, craziest, and magical college environment ever witnessed in the C-USA.
It is very important that the student section works together tonight, all in unison. This is vital during the entire game, but especially during:
Tip-off: Right after player intro’s, we will start chant: “S.M.U… S.MU…”
Defense: Chants such as “Defense”
We mimic what they do on the court (boink, boink, pass, shot, miss, we crescendo “ohhhh” when they are just holding the ball)
-AIRBALL we do a Indian chop and yell “airball, airball, airball, you suck”
-MOSTLY we yell “ohhhh” real real sweet and loud

Fouls
-When an opposing player picks up a foul, chant “YOU, YOU, YOU
When the player has 4 fouls we chant “four, four, four” flashing four on our hands
-When a player fouls out we say “ohhhhhh” (see above) until they sit at which point we say “see ya”
-If a players has more fouls than points, chant for example “4 fouls, 2 points”

Starters:
#12 Tyreke Evans

-Freshmen Phenom from Aston, PA (top 6 recruit coming out of high school)
-Nickname: “Hugo” & “Rainbow man”
-Was proven to be the driver in a drive by shooting involving his cousin. Chant “Drive-by, Drive-by”

#2 Robert Dozier
-Last February was the subject of a police report Tuesday alleging that he struck his girlfriend, LaParis Woods, who is a “dancer” at The Gold Club

#0 Shawn Taggart
-charged with inciting a riot and disorderly conduct outside “The Plush Club” in late 2007. (Mugshot attached—he is on the right)
-struggling as of late to do much of anything. If he commits a foul/turnover, jump all over him

#5 Antonio Anderson
-Heart and soul of the team
-Nickname: AA

#20 Doneal Mack
-Nickname: Bocephus
-Mack is shooting 51.9 percent (14-for-27) from beyond the arc in his last six games, averaging 11.6 points during that stretch.

Key Reserves:

#1 Willie Kemp
- one of the team's top three-point threats

#4 Pierre Henderson-Niles
-the biggest man you will see on the basketball court this year
-had an incident last year at UAB, where he slapped a fan after the game
-Dissatisified with playing time. His facebook status as of today was “"Pierre Niles Really not happy wit wats goin on rite in da bball family .. Jus wana say *** it so bad .."
Give him Hell while he is on the floor

#11 Wesley Witherspoon
-Freshmen
-A versatile player who can play the 1, 2, 3 and 4 spots

Take this for what it is worth.

Like the sheet and have used a sheet. One word: Simplify.

Make one yell for each player. Focus on basics like foul outs, foul trouble, etc. Large sheet leaves too much open for confusion and frustration. We want everyone on the same page. Leave nothing to doubt on what people should be doing.

Keep it up!
smupony
All-American

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Will do, I will start posting the sheet on here probably 2-3 hours before tip-off, so be sure to look for it. Also, I make about 50 copies before the game, so if you need one just ask me.
Harry0569

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Good to see the fball players show up. The ones that actually showed up did a decent job. The crowd was outnumbered by thousands.

I think the student seating is bogus and has been for a long time. Hopefully the student seating will be arranged differently when Moody is redone.
Pony_Fan

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:Good to see the fball players show up. The ones that actually showed up did a decent job. The crowd was outnumbered by thousands.

I think the student seating is bogus and has been for a long time. Hopefully the student seating will be arranged differently when Moody is redone.

I was a student rep for the Moody Feasibility Study and suggested moving the student section across the court to where the "club level" currently is. Based off of everything I have heard that will be the plan along with adding club suites up top and a "Mustang Club" behind the goal directly across from the band.
Harry0569

Next

Return to Basketball