PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIRE Matt Doherty NOW and SAVE this program!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

FIRE Matt Doherty NOW and SAVE this program!!

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:08 pm

If this is what we can expect after a fourpoint win over a team of this magnitude, then we're wasting our time with Matt Doherty running this program.

He's a jerk. I don't think his players respond to him. Fans don't care about the program given the abysmal attendance numbers.

Steve, fess up that you made a mistake and pull the plug. Name Lutz as the interim coach and begin the national search.

Hell Minnesota knew it had run its course with Dan Monson and canned him 7 games into his final season -- actually he "resigned" -- with the Gophers three years ago. They had a crappy season being led by Jim Molinari. But Gopher fans were relieved Monson was gone and just enjoyed the games and knew the season was lost anyway.

The result? Tubby Smith is in his third year running the program.

I'm not saying we can get a coach with a proven track record like the Gophers did. But we certainly can't do any worse.
Last edited by George S. Patton on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
George S. Patton

Re: Fire Doherty NOW!!! Minnesota did it 3 years ago!

Postby Harry0569 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:15 pm

Billy Gillespie knows Texas recruiting and made A&M into a team that traditional was awful. I'm just saying...
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:25 pm

Box score looks atrocious against a team like that. The guy hasn't had one big win since he's been here, and getting Crum doesn't count. He's gotta go.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:33 pm

Huston didn't have a single player over 6'6! 13 million dollar Crum Center and we shoot 48% ft's?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Eye In the Sky » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Completely agree with GSP. We are spinning our wheels with Doh. The program is going nowhere, yet he goes on his postgame radio interview and calls his team "immature," "not smart," "bad." Who's fault is that? If TCU comes in and ebarasses them, will it get Steve's attention...or will he have to wait until after the bowl game before he realizes his basketball team isn't one bit improved in year 4 of Doh's regime?

At least Doh worked in a North Carolina reference in the interview! That makes everything better...
Eye In the Sky
Junior Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:52 pm

And 0 for 11 from behind the arc. At least it wasn't a loss to South Carolina Upstate.

Has TCU improved much under its coach? Didn't they get rid of the Kansas assistant? Yes they did. Christian came to TCU after serving as the head men's basketball coach at Kent State for six seasons where he won at least 20 games in each campaign. During his tenure, Christian collected a record of 138-58 for the highest-winning percentage (.704) in Mid-American Conference history.

TCU was 14-17 last year and just lost by three at Arizona State. We'll see how the Mustangs regroup for the game next Wednesday night. It's got to be hard to get up for Huston-Tillotson.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Wow ! I didn't think it would start this quick.
I think it took me @ least 10 games last season before I said "Doh must go"!

Really a sad & disappointing night for all SMU hoop fans.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:11 pm

honestly, i couldn't even drag myself to the game tonight. Mostly the opponent disgusted me (wtf is Hutson Tillotsen?), but really it was the performances against USF and A&M too. Another dismal season appears to not only be on the horizon, its arrived.
Hoop Fan

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:honestly, i couldn't even drag myself to the game tonight. Mostly the opponent disgusted me (wtf is Hutson Tillotsen?), but really it was the performances against USF and A&M too. Another dismal season appears to not only be on the horizon, its arrived.

I agree. I realized I wasted 3 prime hrs of my life Saturday night stressing in terrible traffic to watch Florida Gulp Crust. Not about to repeat tonight to watch a school in Texas that I've never heard of.
Did you know its in Austin? Come to think of it, I had never heard of the Florida school until recently. I'm as die hard as they come but I think until Doh is gone I'm gonna have to take a rain check. Tried to be patient & give them the benefit after all my ranting & raving that Doh must go last year. But its as obvious as it was last season.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:26 pm

you knew we were in trouble after USF. That was a season opener when usually teams are sky high to play. Our team was F-L-A-T. Then, we showed zero real bounce back or determination against the Ags. Once again, most teams if they lose a home game and have a chance to redeem themselves within 72 hours, they play above themselves and all out. Didn't see it. Yes, something or alot of things aren't right.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony Up » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:03 am

I highly doubt he goes anywhere, because he has another year on his contract and the school doesn't want to pay two coaches.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby ponyscott » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:18 am

Pony Up wrote:I highly doubt he goes anywhere, because he has another year on his contract and the school doesn't want to pay two coaches.

And Orsini will not let show weakness yet...it's too early but should be looked at seriously as even with his threesigned recruits I worry that he really won't let them play to their abilities. That 6"4 guard from CCCC will never look like the film we saw as he was runnin fast and free and was a joy to watch...given it was against sub-par players, but that is good stuff that will be stiffled if Doh doesn't let the reins go.
ponyscott

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 am

this was a truly awful win, if such a thing exists. We actually ran and moved the ball early, like McCoy was actually reading these boards. Even that didn't look right on this team. We ran fast break after fast break that couldn't have looked less fluid. Turnovers that you almost have to try and make, just awful. Speechless and a sad day as a hoops fan
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:06 am

The fat lady needs to get ready....
Bergermeister

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:13 am

meanwhile, yes it looks like TCU's coach is up and rising. I seriously doubt we beat TCU. Doh is a good baby kisser but that's about it.
Pony_Fan

Next

Return to Basketball