PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BILLY GILLESPIE...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BILLY GILLESPIE...

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:02 am

is ready to coach again. Likes the thought of living in Dallas (or the Park Cities area).
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: BILLY GILLESPIE...

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:08 am

he's a drunk and a loser. Next.
Pony_Fan

Postby Billy Joe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:30 am

I like the idea much better than what we have currently. Doh is a loser too.
Billy Joe
All-American

Postby friarwolf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:44 am

He's got warts but so does our program. I would at least quietly check out how he has been doing after his stint in John Lucas' rehab program. The man can recruit and coach..............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:47 am

anyone suggesting gillespie should just stop posting. Your frame of reference doesn't reach the end of your nose. horrible candidate, should this even be an issue later in the year. As of now, we lost two we were supposed to lose, but not won convincingly enough in the two we've won. Major concerns for sure, but this season is young. come off the ledge. Through 4 games, most eveyrone had us at 2-2, just relax
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:52 am

PonyDoh wrote:anyone suggesting gillespie should juyst stop posting. Your frame of reference doesn't reach the end of your nose. horrible candidate, should this even be an issue later in the year. As of now, we lost two we were supposed to lose, but not won convincingly enough in the two we've won. Major concerns for sure, but this season is young

Doh, I luv you man, but this season is in the dumper. And I called the same thing after the TCU nightmare last year.

My god, we're already talking about a finger pointing locker room and accusations the guards are taking too many shots. We can't even get to Thanksgiving without this thing looking rotten.

I want a valuable coach taking Leslee Smith to new heights. Think Doherty is the guy who can do that? I certainly as hell don't think so.

Doherty needs to go back to the trading floor.
George S. Patton

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:00 am

George S. Patton wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:anyone suggesting gillespie should juyst stop posting. Your frame of reference doesn't reach the end of your nose. horrible candidate, should this even be an issue later in the year. As of now, we lost two we were supposed to lose, but not won convincingly enough in the two we've won. Major concerns for sure, but this season is young

Doh, I luv you man, but this season is in the dumper. And I called the same thing after the TCU nightmare last year.

My god, we're already talking about a finger pointing locker room and accusations the guards are taking too many shots. We can't even get to Thanksgiving without this thing looking rotten.

I want a valuable coach taking Leslee Smith to new heights. Think Doherty is the guy who can do that? I certainly as hell don't think so.

Doherty needs to go back to the trading floor.

It certainly doesn't look good, Patton, no problem admitting that. I'm more concerned w/cohesiveness and style of play, then I care about squeaking by cupcakes. Winning by more is a concern, as is the product on the floor, but I'll take the W.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem if this persists, I'm just saying if we turn to Gillespie, SMU has seen my last dime.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:23 am

Sure, but the cohesiveness should be blowing out these schools by 30 points. Doherty is not fostering that.

And to clarify, I'm not a Gillespit guy. John Wooden? He's 99, tanned, rested and ready.
George S. Patton

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:31 am

seasons ebb and flow, but Doh needed a fast start to this season. Its not the bottom line results as much as the way the team and the individuals look that is discouraging. Who or what has improved since last season's young team? When a program/team is rising, you can feel it and you can always sense if its happening. By this time in his tenure, Dement had the expectations very high. I think we started out 21-5 in Dement's fourth season. And we were selling out games in February against TCU and Tulsa (yes, the infamous Willie D off his foot game). That team didn't get it done in the last week of the season, settled for NIT, but the whole atmosphere and vibe surrounding the program was light years different. Doh is way behind schedule, if not off the radar completely. And yes, it matters where you recruit. Sasser, Davis, Ross, those were local boys making good that the DMN liked to hype. We actually had this city interested in our program, there were local basketball people in the stands that you never see now. Look at Padron right now in football, same thing, he will generate media stories and some casual fans. I'm all for national recruiting to grab players that are truly better than the caliber in your backyard. That is generally not what we are doing. Not every one of your players has to or even should come from Dallas, but when none of them come from the good local programs, you better believe you have a problem.
Hoop Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:44 am

by the way, I like the angle of SMU recruiting some foriegn born/prep school kids. Usually those kids like SMU and what it has to offer. dohs 2010 class looks nice. The question for S.O is whether thats enough to wait for and are you going to extend Doh contract so that he is not a lame duck and basically sign on for a second rebuild under his watch after the first once appears unsuccessful. The overgrown first class that was a bust and last years non-class have really put us in a bad spot right now because next year looks worse than this year with Williams and Faye graduating.
Hoop Fan

Postby ClickClack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:39 am

PonyDoh wrote:anyone suggesting gillespie should just stop posting. Your frame of reference doesn't reach the end of your nose. horrible candidate, should this even be an issue later in the year. As of now, we lost two we were supposed to lose, but not won convincingly enough in the two we've won. Major concerns for sure, but this season is young. come off the ledge. Through 4 games, most eveyrone had us at 2-2, just relax

Vegas disagrees...we were a 2 point favorite over south florida I beleive. I wouldn't say we were supposed to lose that game.
ClickClack
All-American

Postby White Helmet » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:43 am

Uhmm I think anyone who follows bball knew Gilchrist was going to dominate us.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby ClickClack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:55 am

White Helmet wrote:Uhmm I think anyone who follows bball knew Gilchrist was going to dominate us.

Im pretty sure the linesmakers take everything into effect..

you can get dominated by a single player and still win a game
ClickClack
All-American

Postby White Helmet » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:00 pm

http://www.wagertracker.com/Odds.aspx?date=11/13/2009&sport=NCAAB

Even game from this site, I actually thought USF was favored
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby ClickClack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:04 pm

Right, that site shows it as a pick em game..depending on the book i saw it from south florida -1 all the way to smu -1.5

The point is, it was a very winnable game...not one that i think we should have expected to lose.
ClickClack
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball