PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Still Baffled...lets take a closer look

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Still Baffled...lets take a closer look

Postby ClickClack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:33 pm

So, from our starting 5 we had a player with an offer from kentucky, a player with an offer from Okohoma and Louisville and a transfer from Georgia Tech....yet, we beat UH-Tillotson by less of a margin than University of the Incarnate World!!!! Something doesnt make sense--players? i dont think so..we have some talent...hmmmm...coach?

This ranks right up there with USC-upstate.
ClickClack
All-American

Re: Still Baffled...lets take a closer look

Postby ClickClack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Even if this is not an x's and o's deal (which x's and o's shouldnt even matter against that team) it has to mean doh is not getting the most of his players...weather it be who he has on the floor together, his abbrasive and agressive coach style..something..
ClickClack
All-American

Postby ponyscott » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:46 pm

If the SMU guys ran the game without Doh's input in just a Full Court pick up game at Moody last night, I bet they beat them by 25 or 30 points....... or more. Its Doh having to overcoach and insert his "Dean Smith' input....
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:19 pm

ClickClack wrote:So, from our starting 5 we had a player with an offer from kentucky, a player with an offer from Okohoma and Louisville and a transfer from Georgia Tech....yet, we beat UH-Tillotson by less of a margin than University of the Incarnate World!!!! Something doesnt make sense--players? i dont think so..we have some talent...hmmmm...coach?

It's Huston-Tillotson, not UH-Tillotson. I don't know which would be worse.
CalallenStang

Postby ClickClack » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:42 am

CalallenStang wrote:
ClickClack wrote:So, from our starting 5 we had a player with an offer from kentucky, a player with an offer from Okohoma and Louisville and a transfer from Georgia Tech....yet, we beat UH-Tillotson by less of a margin than University of the Incarnate World!!!! Something doesnt make sense--players? i dont think so..we have some talent...hmmmm...coach?

It's Huston-Tillotson, not UH-Tillotson. I don't know which would be worse.

Thats how insignificant that team is..dont even know their name
ClickClack
All-American

Postby Billy Joe » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:56 am

It is due to a lack of coaching. Doh has been consistently beat with teams that have inferior talent. Doh is a joke. He wrecked a NC program loaded with All-Americans and he has made a bad team worse (which is hard to believe but he has done it). The players do not respond to him. There is enough talent on this team to win some games. It was time to move on last year but the good old SMU philosphy keeps piss-poor coaches around too long.
Billy Joe
All-American

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:08 am

Billy Joe wrote:It is due to a lack of coaching. Doh has been consistently beat with teams that have inferior talent. Doh is a joke. He wrecked a NC program loaded with All-Americans and he has made a bad team worse (which is hard to believe but he has done it). The players do not respond to him. There is enough talent on this team to win some games. It was time to move on last year but the good old SMU philosphy keeps piss-poor coaches around too long.

yes, UNC was loaded when Doh took over, that's why Gut was being ushered out. How do you expect to be taken seriously, when you make ish up? Doh loaded that roster up, and was well on his way to turning the corner, when they lined up Roy. Obviously, Doh was over his head w/ regards to temper, and the politics around a position of that magnitude, but he rebuilt that program and acquired the right players.

We're 4 games in, and anyone w/a brain had us 2-2, just chill. This will play itself out, one way or another, but you sad sacks have given up, w/o even playing the schedule.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Yeah we're 2-2 and beat teams we should have beaten, but just barely. I think people are more feeling that sinking here we go again - deja vu scenario. Losing to good teams and playing normal, and barely beating bad teams that we should slaughter. Last year that became, losing to teams we should slaughter, and then losing to teams that are good by a whole lot and losing to teams that we are evenly matched with. I hope that Doh turns things around this year and that we end up with the same winning percentage we have right now both in and out of conference. If we do, I'll be very happy with the direction.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:54 pm

I hear you about Gilcrest. He was a beast with an NBA body and range no doubt. I just wasn't very impressed with USF overall though. Catching them at home in the first game of the season, when we basically have all our players back from last year and USF has some new parts, I don't think we can concede that game as a loss. Thats the kind of game that a program starting to turn the corner has to find a way to win at home. You can't concede games like that otherwise your expectations are really low for this group and Doherty's 4th year should be held to a higher standard I think.
Hoop Fan

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:01 pm

i agree w/ everything you've said, just think we should save a good meltdown, for an actual loss, against a team we shouldn't lose to. We aren't debating wins/losses, we're debating performance. Still, people are calling for a man's job, w/o a bad loss, yet. I get it, people smell blood in the water, but this season is young. Let's rally and try and get Ws
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:30 pm

totally agree about saving the meltdown. I do think that TCU represents a team that we shouldn't lose to at Moody though. At Fort Worth, or a neutral court, all bets are off, but you have to defend your homecourt in this game. Tcu shouldn't be able to punk us at home, they aren't any good...yet. We better get on our horse and get it going because even though Doh had a headstart, Christian will have TCU dangerous in the near future it seems.
Hoop Fan

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:42 pm

The positive spin is great. Reality is both of you have been around long enough to know that the writings on the wall. Help me understand what it is you see in Doh after 4 years here that make you such big fans.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:59 pm

me being accused of being a big fan of Doh? I didn't like the hire from Day1 and said as much. Its not the direction I would have gone, but I maintained some hope. And I came around a bit when he signed McCoy, I think you can win with a few Paul McCoy types.

As for right now, we have played 4 games and I generally have not liked what I have seen. On the other hand, you don't fire coaches in November. Moody is always a morgue early in the season and moreso this year because football season is still alive for the Mustangs. I know the team lacks energy from the crowd. Lets see if we bring it against our rivals and if the team can gel over the holidays and in Hawaii. Bring a decent record into January, the energy level in Moody will naturally pickup, and maybe this team starts playing up to its capabilities. If not, there is plenty of time to meltdown from January through March.
Hoop Fan

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:11 pm

[quote="Hoop Fan"]me being accused of being a big fan of Doh? I didn't like the hire from Day1 and said as much. Its not the direction I would have gone, but I maintained some hope. And I came around a bit when he signed McCoy, I think you can win with a few Paul McCoy types.

As for right now, we have played 4 games and I generally have not liked what I have seen. On the other hand, you don't fire coaches in November. Moody is always a morgue early in the season and moreso this year because football season is still alive for the Mustangs. I know the team lacks energy from the crowd. Lets see if we bring it against our rivals and if the team can gel over the holidays and in Hawaii. Bring a decent record into January, the energy level in Moody will naturally pickup, and maybe this team starts playing up to its capabilities. If not, there is plenty of time to meltdown from January through March.[/quote

I'm more concerned with the players body language than I am the crowds @ this point.
They just look beaten down after 4 games. Doesn't appear the kids are having fun.

Its been obvious to me since early to mid season last year that this isn't going to work.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:18 pm

Hoop Fan wrote: Moody is always a morgue early in the season and moreso this year because football season is still alive for the Mustangs.

Moody is always a morgue when you play NAIA teams - especially when you play them badly. I have seen a packed house for early games against teams people care about. Doherty made his bed with this schedule. We aren't Carolina, where you could sell out the arena for practice.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball