PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

McCoy

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

McCoy

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:13 am

Ugghh, what a horrible showing against a pretty pathetic looking TCU team. I wish I was rich, I'd walk into Orsini's office with a check in the amount of Doherty's buy out.

Now, about McCoy. Does anyone else think he has one foot out the door? The only way we keep him is if Orsini acts swiftly at the end of the season and gets a coach in here that tells McCoy we have a system that will fit your style of play. Anyone else notice that good things happen when McCoy gets to penetrate? How come Doherty doesn't?

McCoy looks so beaten down that I'm afraid he might already be gone. Get June in there to talk him off the ledge.

Looks like another apathetic bball season, I miss you Dement...
Last edited by RE Tycoon on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Re: McCoy

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:39 am

RE Tycoon wrote:Looks like another apathetic bball season, I miss you Dement...

Wow it's true that Dement lost his team near the end, one wonders how he wouldve fared with the relaxed admissions standards, basketball facility, etc etc.

Then again, we wouldnt have the basketball facility without Doh, nor the admissions improvement without JJ.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:45 am

RGV Pony wrote:

Wow it's true that Dement lost his team near the end, one wonders how he wouldve fared with the relaxed admissions standards, basketball facility, etc etc.

Then again, we wouldnt have the basketball facility without Doh, nor the admissions improvement without JJ.

I was not a fan of Dement, but at least we were competitive. I'd rather be teased with postseason play rather than struggling to beat Huston-Tilston (sp?)
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 am

RE Tycoon wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:

I was not a fan of Dement, but at least we were competitive. I'd rather be teased with postseason play rather than struggling to beat Huston-Tilston (sp?)

absolutely.
RGV Pony

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:41 am

it's really bad right now, and we out-coached ourselves last night. That said, McCoy has proven to be a 5'10 combo, that isn't a particularly good shooter. He hasn't proven he can run the point at all, his assist numbers are paltry, and he plays a ton of matador D, so he can hunt for boards. He's the stat-stuffer that doesn't necessarily make you better. People are overstating his ability to transfer up a level. Certainly, he could go to another mid, should he want to. He's not an impact high major at all, imo
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:50 am

PonyDoh wrote:it's really bad right now, and we out-coached ourselves last night. That said, McCoy has proven to be a 5'10 combo, that isn't a particularly good shooter. He hasn't proven he can run the point at all, his assist numbers are paltry, and he plays a ton of matador D, so he can hunt for boards. He's the stat-stuffer that doesn't necessarily make you better. People are overstating his ability to transfer up a level. Certainly, he could go to another mid, should he want to. He's not an impact high major at all, imo

Agreed on most points. However, unless my memory is just pathetic, he was a pretty solid shooter last year. He's lost his shot this year, so that is all that matters, but I hope he can find it again. I do believe he could really blossom in an offense that has movement and allows him to get to the rim. What he does with the ball in the lane is amazing.

One other point that sunk in last night...first off I HATE this offense, it might be the worst offense ever put forth on a college basketball court at any level...but regardless of my feelings, how come after most of these players running this offense for at least 2 years, is there still so much confusion? Every trip down court people are running in to eachother, the ball handler is yelling at the guy where to go, we're setting phantom screens, it's like watching 5 years learning how to run their first set play.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:53 am

certainly not right now. I think his jump shot is broken. Looks out of sync with a hitch he didnt have last year. Maybe thats due to a nagging minor injury of some kind. McCoy is a mystery right now for sure. I do think though part of his struggles as a point guard and in general are the mix and situation. I bet if the same McCoy showed up in Moody on another team like Tulsa he would look like a good point guard in a different lineup and probably light us up in the process. I'm not implying he should or will transfer, just that he's the kind of guy you wouldn't want to face if he was surrounded by the 2 or 3 skilled, slashing, highly productive small forwards that we all know we need.
Hoop Fan

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:08 pm

RE Tycoon wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:it's really bad right now, and we out-coached ourselves last night. That said, McCoy has proven to be a 5'10 combo, that isn't a particularly good shooter. He hasn't proven he can run the point at all, his assist numbers are paltry, and he plays a ton of matador D, so he can hunt for boards. He's the stat-stuffer that doesn't necessarily make you better. People are overstating his ability to transfer up a level. Certainly, he could go to another mid, should he want to. He's not an impact high major at all, imo

Agreed on most points. However, unless my memory is just pathetic, he was a pretty solid shooter last year. He's lost his shot this year, so that is all that matters, but I hope he can find it again. I do believe he could really blossom in an offense that has movement and allows him to get to the rim. What he does with the ball in the lane is amazing.

One other point that sunk in last night...first off I HATE this offense, it might be the worst offense ever put forth on a college basketball court at any level...but regardless of my feelings, how come after most of these players running this offense for at least 2 years, is there still so much confusion? Every trip down court people are running in to eachother, the ball handler is yelling at the guy where to go, we're setting phantom screens, it's like watching 5 years learning how to run their first set play.

I don't want my posts to be misconstrued as McCoy bashing, cause I love the kid. There are just certain realities about his game that are becoming very clear. He's a volume shooter that keeps his percentage up by penetrating and being great around the cup, as well as streak shooting. He's by no means a pure shooter or even a particularly good shooter, especially from distance. That said, why is he only taking 3 or 4 shots these last few games?

The reason they look awful on offense is they don't have a true PG, and not 1 pass first kid in the top 8 of the rotation. McCoy/Will find it easier to get looks off the dribble drive, and they are our primary ball-handlers. Unfortunately, the pretend to be interested in sets, so the shot clock runs down, and they go at the rack late in the possession. Our two pure shooters, Nyakundi and Clink need looks manufactured for them via sets, but their is no execution.

Honestly, TCU was a bad loss, but this season hinges on the cupcakes. I don't want to even think about losing to them, cause this place will meltdown like never before.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FriscoPMG » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:19 pm

PonyDoh wrote:Honestly, TCU was a bad loss, but this season hinges on the cupcakes. I don't want to even think about losing to them, cause this place will meltdown like never before.

I hate to say it, but at this point the only motivation to going to Moody to see those cupcakes is to potentially witness the final nail in the coffin of Doh's stint at SMU. I will of course continue to root for SMU, but if we can't coast to an easy 20-30 pt win over the H-T of the world, then I don't want a 3 pt win that we squeak out. Just lose the thing so it can be evident to the higher ups that a change has to be made (even though I'm not counting on any changes this season).
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:25 pm

FriscoPMG wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:Honestly, TCU was a bad loss, but this season hinges on the cupcakes. I don't want to even think about losing to them, cause this place will meltdown like never before.

I hate to say it, but at this point the only motivation to going to Moody to see those cupcakes is to potentially witness the final nail in the coffin of Doh's stint at SMU. I will of course continue to root for SMU, but if we can't coast to an easy 20-30 pt win over the H-T of the world, then I don't want a 3 pt win that we squeak out. Just lose the thing so it can be evident to the higher ups that a change has to be made (even though I'm not counting on any changes this season).

If there is a nail, I could see it being Hawaii on national TV vs a very good UNLV team. Hard to see that ending well, when they've ripped Louisville, and beaten Zona on the road, just in the last week.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Cardinal Puff » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:29 pm

I think we are fortunate to have McCoy. Last night he was slow. Do not know what his condition issue may be, but he is not 100%. He is guard who can make a difference in the game-we saw that time and again last year. As far as assists go, who has he got that we can count on to make the basket?
Cardinal Puff
Varsity

Postby clasc1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:13 pm

I have to agree that pcoy hasn't looked like a true pg so far this year but the main reasons are stated very well by cardinal puff> who the hell does he have to pass to???

Hands of stone in the post or unsure shooters outside. I watched this guy in several all star games and he was the truth. Looked like he could mature into a chris paul kind of point.

Looks like he has regressed. (Can Doh develop players?)

NO!!!!!!~!!
clasc1

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:52 pm

The 'he has no one to pass to' argument doesn't hold water. So far, Dia/Faye & Williams are all having statistically relevant seasons. Other people are putting the ball in the basket as well, the problem is that none of it is coming within the framework of an efficient offense, and very little of it is assisted. Great PGs run smooth efficient offenses. They make the players around them better, and get them the ball where they are most likely to succeed. McCoy and Will should be drive and dish monsters. Both get into the lane whenever they want, but have tunnel vision. Find Clink or Nyakundi spotting up, that's how you end the 3pt drought.

I like McCoy a ton, but for him to maximize his earning ceiling, he has to be a PG and primary ball-handler. No one wants to admit it, but one of our biggest problems is that our two best players are almost identical.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:18 pm

PonyDoh wrote:The 'he has no one to pass to' argument doesn't hold water. So far, Dia/Faye & Williams are all having statistically relevant seasons. Other people are putting the ball in the basket as well, the problem is that none of it is coming within the framework of an efficient offense, and very little of it is assisted. Great PGs run smooth efficient offenses. They make the players around them better, and get them the ball where they are most likely to succeed. McCoy and Will should be drive and dish monsters. Both get into the lane whenever they want, but have tunnel vision. Find Clink or Nyakundi spotting up, that's how you end the 3pt drought.

I like McCoy a ton, but for him to maximize his earning ceiling, he has to be a PG and primary ball-handler. No one wants to admit it, but one of our biggest problems is that our two best players are almost identical.

Like PonyDoh has been saying for the last 3 years, this program has needed & still needs
a legit PG. This staff has done a terrible job of addressing their weakness @ this position.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:24 pm

I want to know why in the world we keep bringing in 2 guards who are 6' tall or shorter. We've got 3 of them.
RGV Pony

Next

Return to Basketball