PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Observations from last night

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Observations from last night

Postby friarwolf » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:08 pm

The players looked beaten down during the introductions - no fire, emotions, just zombies walking out as their name was called.......Wonder if Doh had one of his running sessions earlier in the day.....TCU is not a good team - and they beat us......McCoy looks like he has checked out....I think it is telling that during warmups, everyone had their shooting shirts on and 2 players had a tee shirt over the shooting shirt - McCoy and Williams........Papa Dia comes out on fire and only plays 24 minutes??????? Doh has a thing against Williams. He seldom ever mentions him when talking about players that have good games (no mention last night in post game comments) and it appears if he shoots in the first half - other than break aways or clock issues - he sits.......Can we please defend 3's????? Ever???? We are down by 12 with about 10 minutes on the clock and we still run the shot clock down to 10 seconds before taking a shot? Are you kidding me???????? Free Throws, Free Throws, Free Throws, Free Throws..................Where was Walker when we needed someone to hit a 3? He hit several huge ones last year and this year doesn't sniff the court?????? I know Nyakundi is rusty but he gets how many minutes and shots last night? For a guy that Doh says is such a great shooter?????? I got tired of watching our band on the jumbo tron last night looking like they had purple shirts on. 3 years and we still don't have the color adjusted????????
friarwolf
Heisman

Re: Observations from last night

Postby Cardinal Puff » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:17 pm

Watching the first half I thought SMU was finally coming together. Should have left at halftime. What is this with 0-23 on 3 points the last two games? Papa Dia and Williams were bright spots in a game where we couldn't hit long, couldn't count on a free throw and gave TCU open looks for the 3. Yet SMU was still in it at the end and couldn't step up and close at home. Losing to an inferior team at home.
Cardinal Puff
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 pm

up 10, then TCU outscores us 31-8. That's about all we need to know.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:23 pm

RGV Pony wrote:up 10, then TCU outscores us 31-8. That's about all we need to know.

wow, thats almost funny. And mind boggling.
Hoop Fan

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:36 pm

and actually I think we were up 11.
RGV Pony

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:49 pm

The team's performance so far this season has been disappointing to say the least. I'm not saying Doh is a lousy coach, but he is certainly not getting the best out of his players. Reminds me a lot of Dement actually. June Jones has been a real eye-opener for me. He was the first coach in awhile that didn't turn on the players after the first bad season. That comradarie really showed this season and made a HUGE difference. Maybe its time we brought in more of a "people person" like Jones as basketball coach. That's all I'll say on the matter. I have confidence that Orsini will make the right decision about where to go from here. He certainly knows more than I do.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby SMU91 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:23 pm

friarwolf wrote:The players looked beaten down during the introductions - no fire, emotions, just zombies walking out as their name was called.......Wonder if Doh had one of his running sessions earlier in the day.....TCU is not a good team - and they beat us......McCoy looks like he has checked out....I think it is telling that during warmups, everyone had their shooting shirts on and 2 players had a tee shirt over the shooting shirt - McCoy and Williams........Papa Dia comes out on fire and only plays 24 minutes??????? Doh has a thing against Williams. He seldom ever mentions him when talking about players that have good games (no mention last night in post game comments) and it appears if he shoots in the first half - other than break aways or clock issues - he sits.......Can we please defend 3's????? Ever???? We are down by 12 with about 10 minutes on the clock and we still run the shot clock down to 10 seconds before taking a shot? Are you kidding me???????? Free Throws, Free Throws, Free Throws, Free Throws..................Where was Walker when we needed someone to hit a 3? He hit several huge ones last year and this year doesn't sniff the court?????? I know Nyakundi is rusty but he gets how many minutes and shots last night? For a guy that Doh says is such a great shooter?????? I got tired of watching our band on the jumbo tron last night looking like they had purple shirts on. 3 years and we still don't have the color adjusted????????

This post sums up my frustration as well. I think with the success of JJ, football team and woman's basketball Steve O may have to pull the trigger soon. Next years recruiting calls will be key with I believe 5 scholarships. We need a new coach soon!
SMU91
Junior Varsity

Postby FriscoPMG » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:01 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:The team's performance so far this season has been disappointing to say the least. I'm not saying Doh is a lousy coach, but he is certainly not getting the best out of his players. Reminds me a lot of Dement actually. June Jones has been a real eye-opener for me. He was the first coach in awhile that didn't turn on the players after the first bad season. That comradarie really showed this season and made a HUGE difference. Maybe its time we brought in more of a "people person" like Jones as basketball coach. That's all I'll say on the matter. I have confidence that Orsini will make the right decision about where to go from here. He certainly knows more than I do.

I'll say it...Doh is a lousy coach.
What do you see in him that reminds you of Dement? Are you referring to how they act on the sidelines or how players react or what? I know ultimately Dement did lose his players and they quit on him, but that same season we also had wins over TX Tech and Purdue. And yes, there were players who didn't live up to their full potential, but ultimately Dement got a lot more out of his players than Doh is getting!
And I'm not sure you'll find another coach with the demeanor of JJ. To be that laid back and yet be successful as a head coach is a pretty rare thing. It would be great if that was a more common approach to coaching or working with student athletes, but it just seems like he is a rare bird.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Coaches can be intense without being jerks. Coach K is intense, but his players love him. John Thompson rode his players hard, but he also treated them like men. I think even Bobby Knight as stern a taskmaster as he was still knew how back off when he needed to. I hear that the players are giving a great effort, yet losing. Since I have seen and heard that they have talent, I have to believe that the losing is due to the coaching that they are receiving. This is not like the football team used to be, when we were just not as good as the opponent on paper. Talent wise, we were as good if not better than TCU yesterday and yet we lost. Doh needs to look hard at the mirror and then figure out what he needs to do to start winning. Whether its shortening his bench, ratcheting up the tempo, pressing more, he needs to figure that out and soon.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:55 pm

I am not a basketball fanatic, but am a fan and was here during the Koncak glory days. I am generally a big booster of Doh, but am starting to doubt as a lot of guys on here did early on. I hope he turns this around, but we need to start seeing success and not lose game like the TCU game.

Seems there has been no improvement on our weaknesses of years past - defending and shooting the 3 and free throws. We cannot get all phases of the game going good at the same time thru the whole game. If one aspect of the game goes well, then something else doesn't. And for years we have gone long stretches of our games without scoring or making extended scoring runs. I don't get it.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:55 pm

I still don't see why everyone is so surprised about the game - we saw this stuff all last year. That is all I have to say tonight :)
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball