PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

5 on 5...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

5 on 5...

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:17 pm

who wins?

Team 09

Derek Williams
Paul McCoy
Justin Haynes
Mo Faye
Papa Dia

Team 10

Paul McCoy
Alaiksei Patsevich
Leslee Smith
Robert Nyakundi
Papa Dia
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: 5 on 5...

Postby FriscoPMG » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Who's coaching the 2010 team? :)
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:21 pm

FriscoPMG wrote:Who's coaching the 2010 team? :)

no idea, but let's just say they are equally coached, until we hear otherwise
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Well, if it's the same guy sitting in the lead chair, then you expect mindless turnovers, terrible conversion rate from the free throw shooting, lousy 3-point shooting and players regressing as the season wears on.

In other words, it could end at 45-45 in regulation and go into several overtimes to decide.

I have no idea.
George S. Patton

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:54 pm

I'd guess we'll be about the same at best. Even though those new guys are going to be talented, trading out Williams and Faye for two young newcomers isn't going to get us more Ws as I see it. It might be more interesting in a rebuilding for the future kind of way. Now if McCoy returns to form and Haynes and Nyakundi turn it up about 10 notches, who knows. I will say that perhaps Patsevich can be the glue guy that stabilizes the lineup on offense at least. I don't know, the roster is as disjointed as the team is right now and it doesn't feel like a quick fix to me at least if we keep playing the style Doh is playing. I really thought last night was a game we had time to prepare for, motivation, home atmosphere, more talent, you name it. I just don't understand losing that game.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Hoop Fan wrote: home atmosphere

riiiiiight
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:53 pm

i chose the word atmosphere purposely. It was at least our gym and for how small the home crowd was it was decent volume when the team showed a spark. really, there were only about 50 tcu fans there so its not like that was a factor.
Hoop Fan

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Fun post!

First, I would sub out RN for Otis.
Otis does so many things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Doh has a very short leash for
some reason with Otis. He is probably the best passer on the team & a bruiser.
True, he can't shoot FT's but who can on this team, right?
He's a winner. Look @ his HS career.
He would thrive in an uptempo system.

Agree with everyone else, lineup doesn't matter. Getting a new HC & system in place is a must.

Also, I was just looking back @ our posts from Jan, Feb & March of last season regarding everyones opinions on Doh. Fun reading. BTW, where's Bagice?
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Junior » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:31 am

PonyDoh wrote:
FriscoPMG wrote:Who's coaching the 2010 team? :)

no idea, but let's just say they are equally coached, until we hear otherwise

I think we ALL win if Doh isn't coaching the 2010 team.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:37 am

papawasamustang wrote:Fun post!

First, I would sub out RN for Otis.
Otis does so many things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Doh has a very short leash for
some reason with Otis. He is probably the best passer on the team & a bruiser.
True, he can't shoot FT's but who can on this team, right?
He's a winner. Look @ his HS career.
He would thrive in an uptempo system.

Agree with everyone else, lineup doesn't matter. Getting a new HC & system in place is a must.

Also, I was just looking back @ our posts from Jan, Feb & March of last season regarding everyones opinions on Doh. Fun reading. BTW, where's Bagice?

I agree w/you about Otis, actually. I saw him a bunch in high school, and that kid would snare a board, then lead the break and find the open man. Almost point forward-ish. Early against Huston-Tillotson, the kid had 3 or 4 possessions in a row, where we hit him in the high post, and he'd either find a cutter, feed high/low, or kick it out. Now that you mention it, I'd start him solely for better team play & passing. He can't shoot, but he creates ops for others, when he's away from the basket.

When I wrote up those starters, a few things came clear to me. IN THEORY, next years team should have better passers and shooters. It's also really clear we still need more talent, especially an dynamic/athletic wing, and a PG and maybe even a big. We need a massive upgrade at the 2, massive.

Are we comfortable heading into '10 w/our big rotation being Dia/Otis/Luttman/Vilde? I like Vilde, and he's going to play a nice role,
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:10 am

Well, I said Otis should have been in the starting lineup to begin the season because he's a better worker bee than Harp.

For me, it would depend on when this game was played. If it was played in November, the 2009 team wins because it simply has more DI experience and the pace of the game.

If it's February, then I think the 2010 team wins. Smith is the X factor for the 2010 team. If he transitions to the DI game quickly, then he could show the ability to take a game over. He probably would have developed a nice relationship with McCoy and having Dia in the low block makes that a very attractive situation.

One other thing to consider is the style of ball. If it's a half-court setting, I think both teams -- with personnel that do not fit a half court setting -- would struggle to score. If they are pushing the pace, then you have an entertaining game to watch.

Of course, if Doherty's out of the picture, then you have a better chance of these players actually playing to their full potential.
George S. Patton

Postby NastyStang » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Otis is on a short leash with Doh because (gasp) he actually will take off and lead a break. God forbid we actually run with the talent we have and lack of size. I love when Otis takes off and does the crazy behind the back passes. It energizes everything and leads to easy baskets. Now have Otis quickly get the ball out to Williams or McCoy and send Faye, Dia, Rob on the wings to finish. The only guy who may pound the ball inside this year is Papa and that won't be every game. RUN RUN RUN. Too bad Mike D'antoni was Doh's mentor...
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:18 pm

NastyStang wrote:Otis is on a short leash with Doh because (gasp) he actually will take off and lead a break. God forbid we actually run with the talent we have and lack of size. I love when Otis takes off and does the crazy behind the back passes. It energizes everything and leads to easy baskets. Now have Otis quickly get the ball out to Williams or McCoy and send Faye, Dia, Rob on the wings to finish. The only guy who may pound the ball inside this year is Papa and that won't be every game. RUN RUN RUN. Too bad Mike D'antoni was Doh's mentor...

exactly, it's criminal that we aren't running & pressing
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball