PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU Game Presentation

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU Game Presentation

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Don't know where the Mustang Voice thread went, but I'd like to thank him or whomever read it and implemented some of our suggestions.

Although far from perfect, it was light years ahead of the past games. The starting lineup music and whole setup is still lacking energy. I know there are people who hate canned music, but I think that is the one time where it is essential. The band isn't cutting it, and I don't blame them, it's a tough spot to play in.

The awkward silences were for the most part gone. Again, a little work can be done there, but vastly improved.

Overall, it was a very nice improvement, so thanks.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Re: TCU Game Presentation

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 pm

A lot of work still needs to be done.

Faye throws down a great dunk, crowds getting into it. An immediate timeout & NOTHING.
Scoreboard should have been lighting up about 10x's immediately afterward showing his great dunk. Where was the band at that timeout? Should have been jam'n. The playing softly while the PA is talking has got to go.

Fans want to connect to the players. One thing I like is to have some pre recorded clips with the players re: misc. things. This helps the fans get to know the players better. These kids have great personalities & are a lot more than just a # or a face we see sitting on the bench.
For example, have a clip of the players HS coach talking about his players career in HS.
While he's talking, show clips of the player while in HS & some of their highlights @ SMU.

When Faye hammered down the thunder, there should have been something like Faye saying something clever with a huge smile on the big screen. Maybe Faye & Dia doing the Mutombo after a block shot on the video board.

I know it was a while back, but I would enjoy seeing some video clips of the basketball teams visit to Senegal. What a great story.

If we ever hit a 3 again, have a pre-recorded clip of the player that made the three with his hands up in the air like a ref signals a three with a clever comment included.

At a timeout, have a clip on one of the asst coaches. Lets hear them talk about different things they do. Geez, we had like 5 or 6 asst's with Doh. It would be nice to know a little about them other than the control freak has em over there on the bench with their heads buried in a clipboard taking freakin notes during the game instead of helping him coach.

If any other the players have a special talent outside of basketball, have a fun clip of that.
There's always someone on the team that thinks they can sing or play an instrument. Sometimes they really can. Get them on the big screen. If they can sing, let them sing the National Anthem or the fight song or something.

After a dunk, have a pre-recorded clip of 3 of the Mustangs sitting down like slam dunk judges, each holding up a 10 score.

Do the cheerleader & dance squad intros like they do @ the football games.

Include the football team. Show highlights of the football games & have player interviews on the scoreboard.

Shonw a advertisement for the university like they do when one of our games is televised.

I might be alone on this one, but hell, I enjoyed the put on the uniform & shoot the layup shot skit we had previous seasons, better than the silence that's going on now.

Never can go wrong with throwing t-shirts into the crowd @ least 1 x per half.

A little hint, someone let some people know where the recruits are & throw em some damn t-shirts
Also get em on the big screen several times. Football games should do this too!

The other area would be to get the students involved. I always liked the lazy boy by the court for the craziest 2 or 3 fans & give em a pizza to eat.
Have a contest for a student to sit on the bench with the team.

Get one of the band trumpet players to play the National Anthem.

Get clips of the funny sports highlights that we see on tv all the time, or some American Funniest Home Video clips. Anything to break it up.

Big thumbs up last year on having the kids make a tunnel for the players to run onto the court before the game.

Just a few suggestions. Not a lot of cost associated with these either.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:45 pm

papawasamustang wrote:A lot of work still needs to be done.

Faye throws down a great dunk, crowds getting into it. An immediate timeout & NOTHING.
Scoreboard should have been lighting up about 10x's immediately afterward showing his great dunk. Where was the band at that timeout? Should have been jam'n. The playing softly while the PA is talking has got to go.

Fans want to connect to the players. One thing I like is to have some pre recorded clips with the players re: misc. things. This helps the fans get to know the players better. These kids have great personalities & are a lot more than just a # or a face we see sitting on the bench.
For example, have a clip of the players HS coach talking about his players career in HS.
While he's talking, show clips of the player while in HS & some of their highlights @ SMU.

When Faye hammered down the thunder, there should have been something like Faye saying something clever with a huge smile on the big screen. Maybe Faye & Dia doing the Mutombo after a block shot on the video board.

I know it was a while back, but I would enjoy seeing some video clips of the basketball teams visit to Senegal. What a great story.

If we ever hit a 3 again, have a pre-recorded clip of the player that made the three with his hands up in the air like a ref signals a three with a clever comment included.

At a timeout, have a clip on one of the asst coaches. Lets hear them talk about different things they do. Geez, we had like 5 or 6 asst's with Doh. It would be nice to know a little about them other than the control freak has em over there on the bench with their heads buried in a clipboard taking freakin notes during the game instead of helping him coach.

If any other the players have a special talent outside of basketball, have a fun clip of that.
There's always someone on the team that thinks they can sing or play an instrument. Sometimes they really can. Get them on the big screen. If they can sing, let them sing the National Anthem or the fight song or something.

After a dunk, have a pre-recorded clip of 3 of the Mustangs sitting down like slam dunk judges, each holding up a 10 score.

Include the football team. Show highlights of the football games & have player interviews on the scoreboard.

Shonw a advertisement for the university like they do when one of our games is televised.

I might be alone on this one, but hell, I enjoyed the put on the uniform & shoot the layup shot skit we had previous seasons, better than the silence that's going on now.

A little hint, someone let some people know where the recruits are & throw em some damn t-shirts

The other area would be to get the students involved. I always liked the lazy boy by the court for the craziest 2 or 3 fans & give em a pizza to eat.

Get clips of the funny sports highlights that we see on tv all the time, or some American Funniest Home Video clips. Anything to break it up.

Big thumbs up last year on having the kids make a tunnel for the players to run onto the court before the game.

So basically just go to a Mavs game :)
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:50 pm

I haven't been to a Mavs game since they left Reunion. Do they play tapes of the SMU hoops team trip to Senegal? :D

Seriously, a lot of this stuff has been around for years. Even before the Mavs came to town.

It really comes down to, does this university want to invest the time & $$ to improve the total men's hoops experience? Its starts with bringing in a coach that can put the W's on the board.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:59 am

presentation has been embarrassing for 10 yrs. They can't do much right...it's crazy. Scoreboard is a big joke other than pts.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:11 am

They should uncover the light boards at each end and bring back the "FOWL!" animation with the duck waddling around. That was better than much of what we've got now on our nice new screen.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RE Tycoon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:44 am

MustangStealth wrote: nice new screen.

Don't get me started on the scoreboard. Whoever bought that monstrosity for $1million got hosed and should be fired. We were years into the HD revolution and they buy that thing? The quality is horrible. No excuse not to have an HD video board.

Is it too late to ask Cuban for his old board at AAC? Hicks probably already sold it at Trader's Village to cover his water bill.
Last edited by RE Tycoon on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Mestengo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:42 am

I just want to win all the time.
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FriscoPMG » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:15 pm

RE Tycoon wrote:
MustangStealth wrote: nice new screen.

Don't get me started on the scoreboard. Whoever bought that monstrosity for $1million got hosed and should be fired. We were years into the HD revolution and they by that thing? The quality is horrible. No excuse not to have an HD video board.

Is it too late to ask Cuban for his old board at AAC? Hicks probably already sold it at Trader's Village to cover his water bill.

Couldn't agree more that paying $800K for that outdated scoreboard was a huge mistake. The video boards provide very little, so basically we paid all that money for the addition of seeing the individual player scoring & fouls (which I like, but not for that money!).
I believe Steve O already said a replacement is in the works and this current one won't last but another year or so. Good luck re-selling it!
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby FriscoPMG » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:17 pm

And while I appreciate the efforts that the new PA guy is making, I must say that it was quite entertaining when he announced the football team as the "ALL QUIT...panic...silence...errr...ALL GRIT, NO QUIT SMU Mustangs!" :)
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby smu diamond m » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:38 pm

the video on that board is pretty bad, but are you sure it ISN'T HD and just badly presented? I.E. if the cams aren't HD, the feed isn't. and there is the possibility that we're so close to the monstrosity that it looks bad
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RE Tycoon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:51 pm

smu diamond m wrote:the video on that board is pretty bad, but are you sure it ISN'T HD and just badly presented? I.E. if the cams aren't HD, the feed isn't. and there is the possibility that we're so close to the monstrosity that it looks bad

I'm not a techie, so don't hold me to this, but I don't believe it has the correct aspect ratio for HD. I also highly doubt it has the correct resolution. HD or not, the resolution is horrible. Even standard def would look decent with the right resolution. As it stands now it looks like we are sporting gigantic lite-brite...

#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:56 pm

RE Tycoon wrote:
smu diamond m wrote:the video on that board is pretty bad, but are you sure it ISN'T HD and just badly presented? I.E. if the cams aren't HD, the feed isn't. and there is the possibility that we're so close to the monstrosity that it looks bad

I'm not a techie, so don't hold me to this, but I don't believe it has the correct aspect ratio for HD. I also highly doubt it has the correct resolution. HD or not, the resolution is horrible. Even standard def would look decent with the right resolution. As it stands now it looks like we are sporting gigantic lite-brite...

LOL. I couldn't find a word to decribe the video quality. The "gigantic lite-brite" in genius!
smupony
All-American

Postby NastyStang » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:09 pm

papawasamustang wrote:A lot of work still needs to be done.

Excellent post. These things aren't hard or expensive. If there is seriously nobody left in the marketing department, start talking to some of OUR marketing or ad students. Guarantee some of these students can do crazy good stuff with video, introductions, music...This amateur-hour game presentation has got to end. It's embarrassing, impresses zero recruits and beats the fans down. When Faye threw down that alley-oop there should have been 20 replays during the timeout. Instead the replay starts playing while the place is going nuts and never plays again. Instead we transition to a damn ad which kills any crowd excitement. I was in school in 98-02 and the presentation was light years ahead of today. We have regressed in the last ten years. I think this has been talked about on here before, but whoever made the decision on that monstrosity of a scoreboard should be shown the door. Waaaay to big, no HD in a very HD relevant time. uggghhh.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby Hal » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:32 am

FriscoPMG wrote:And while I appreciate the efforts that the new PA guy is making, I must say that it was quite entertaining when he announced the football team as the "ALL QUIT...panic...silence...errr...ALL GRIT, NO QUIT SMU Mustangs!" :)

Please tell me you're kidding. He didn't really say that, did he?
Hal
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball