PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fran Frashillia plugs SMU football (yes football)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fran Frashillia plugs SMU football (yes football)

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:11 pm

on the UT-USC game, he talked about SMu going to a bowl and how exciting games were and JJ and all that. Said he should know cuz he is a season ticket holder.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Fran Frashillia plugs SMU football (yes football)

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:38 pm

He sits 3 rows behind me. Had a nice couple of quick chats with him. He's always there.
George S. Patton

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:41 pm

George S. Patton wrote:He sits 3 rows behind me. Had a nice couple of quick chats with him. He's always there.

Our Euro connection ? :wink:
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:51 pm

Afraid not. In that kind of setting I just didn't think it would be a good idea.
George S. Patton

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:58 pm

I'd have to disagree with you on this one.
I think he's probably given the staff some inside scoop on some euro's.

Remember, it was his blog that first announced that SMU had received a commitment from pg Pats @ Collin County.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:19 am

Sure. I really should have asked if he wants back in coaching. I know of a job that's about to come open. And it's pretty close to where he lives.
George S. Patton

Postby smu diamond m » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 am

George S. Patton wrote:Sure. I really should have asked if he wants back in coaching. I know of a job that's about to come open. And it's pretty close to where he lives.

Zing? nah.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:24 pm

and you guys think Doh is a moronic hard [deleted]. Fran has proven far more successful then Doh as a coach, but he's a nut in the locker room. By all accounts a good guy, and Mustang supporter, but he likes to hang brain during half time rants...lol

at some point, it would be great to get away from the heavy-handed, stern/disciplinarian type, see Shumate/Dement/Doh.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:51 pm

There wasn't an ounce of seriousness about Fran being the next head coach at SMU. Please note the sarcasm.
George S. Patton

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:54 pm

George S. Patton wrote:There wasn't an ounce of seriousness about Fran being the next head coach at SMU. Please note the sarcasm.

yea I know, but many around here seem to think it's a good idea. He comes up every time a replacement for Doh is discussed.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:13 pm

It would be a terrible idea. I've enjoyed speaking with him, but it would be an extreme risk for as long as he has been out of the game.

I know.... MARK FEW!!! :) Can't have a coaching rumor story come up without his name being in the middle of it.
George S. Patton

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:54 pm

PonyDoh wrote:at some point, it would be great to get away from the heavy-handed, stern/disciplinarian type, see Shumate/Dement/Doh.

yes sir, it would. I really don't think the heavy handed type works very well at all with the kind of kids SMU attracts and the atmosphere at SMU. Also, you can't be heavy handed as hell in practice and the lockerroom and then have the kids run out of the tunnel to an empty stadium at gametime either. At a place like SMU, the coach needs to be relaxed, very cool ,and inspiring. You can't count on 10,000 screaming, adoring fans to pump up your players for you and offset a rigid, disciplinarian coaching style. Imagine you've been through a hellish week of practice with Doh riding the s**** out of you. Then the game comes, the thing that should make it all worthwhile, and damn, theres all of 400 people in the stands for player intros. Demoralizing? Yep. I truly think the only way that SMU is going to be able to build a program is with a true, us against the world "players coach".
Hoop Fan

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:a At a place like SMU, the coach needs to be relaxed, very cool ,and inspiring.

doesnt get any cooler than this...
RGV Pony

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:29 pm

I swear, you people pick the worst possible candidates. Quin Snyder doesn't have a septum
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:37 pm

CalallenStang

Next

Return to Basketball