PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Men v. Texas State

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Men v. Texas State

Postby smupony94 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:16 am

Thought I could make it but nope. Not making the drive.
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU Men v. Texas State

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:58 am

I'm going to find more entertainment value from going to my daughter's Christmas play tonight than this bunch of dungheep.

Thanks for making SMU hoops even more irrelevant, Matt. Preciate You! Preciate You!
George S. Patton

Postby Eye In the Sky » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:53 pm

The trainwreck factor is the only thing that keeps me interested in SMU basketball these days so I might stop by for a little while. This program can't get much lower, yet Doh & Co. seem to find a way game after game.
Eye In the Sky
Junior Varsity

Postby mr. pony » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Is this a must-win for Doh?
What happens if SMU loses at home to T. State, drops to 2-4? Anything?
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:05 pm

mr. pony wrote:Is this a must-win for Doh?

he has no chance, should he start losing to the cupcakes. That's the only unforgivable offense.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:19 pm

PonyDoh wrote:

he has no chance, should he start losing to the cupcakes. That's the only unforgivable offense.

isnt that pretty much what he's done the last few years?

SC Upstate
UAPB
Alabama St
who else?
RGV Pony

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:28 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

SC Upstate
UAPB
Alabama St
who else?

i was speaking to this year. I can't imagine they would tolerate those types of losses this year.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Should we ever tolerate those types of losses?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:07 pm

abezontar wrote:Should we ever tolerate those types of losses?

when as an AD, you agree that the program needs gutting, and give the head coach unilateral control to gut it, you have to live w/a few of those losses. We should have shown more tact in trimming fat to get more wins/losses, no doubt. The real issue is that we're supposed to have been on our way to being rebuilt by now. Clearly we aren't that close
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby therack » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:30 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
abezontar wrote:Should we ever tolerate those types of losses?

when as an AD, you agree that the program needs gutting, and give the head coach unilateral control to gut it, you have to live w/a few of those losses. We should have shown more tact in trimming fat to get more wins/losses, no doubt. The real issue is that we're supposed to have been on our way to being rebuilt by now. Clearly we aren't that close

Well said... The funny thing all the fat trimming has caused SMU to play even worse than before... Man, I can't believe this is happening!!!
therack
Junior Varsity

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:47 pm

For me, it started two years ago when we played Tulsa on a Saturday night. We hit two FTs with 6 seconds to play to take a one-point lead.

Doherty doesn't call a timeout to set his defense -- I'm a believer that you must do that -- and Tulsa gets the ball, drives all the way down for an uncontested layup to win the game with 0.5 seconds to play. I could have lived with them making the shot while being defended but to do that was inexcusable.

From there, something just didn't sit right about this. I thought if he couldn't or wouldn't do that, then I'm wondering if he has what it takes. We finished with only 10 wins that year. Still, my thinking was tempered by hope that year 3 would show the jump.

And then came the wheels off effort in Fort Worth before Thanksgiving. After that, I thought this is going nowhere with Doherty and it won't ever. The UAPB loss was the crowning blow that I was done.

So when we came into this year, I was very skeptical but had this crazy notion that Doherty would have had this come-to-Jesus moment where he suddenly got it, stopped being a jerk to everybody and loosened up. USF was tough and A&M I could live with. But when the Florida school game was tied at the half, I thought, "You have got to be kidding me.'' And then NAIA central just revealed just what a bad coach he is and that this needs to be the final year for him here.

Of course, the comments about being embarrassed of being the coach of that team just validated that this thing is blowing apart or very close to doing that.

Doherty may have the DI off the court stuff down to get people interested but it's like looking at the good looking babe: looks can attract you but they can't hold you.

That's what we have here. And because I missed the TCU game, I really can't summon the energy or the desire to actually want to go watch this in person. That might be the biggest indictment of all.

And I love college basketball.
George S. Patton

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:48 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

SC Upstate
UAPB
Alabama St
who else?

Who else? Well, let's see there was:
North Carolina A&T,
Southern,
Centenary,
Stephen F Austin, and
UT-San Antonio.

I dont know if you want to include Rice, Tulane or East Carolina on that list, those were bad losses, particularly being blown out by a bad East Carolina team 2 years ago, but you may not want to include conference games your list because we really cant avoid playing those. The major embarrassments, the insult on top of injury losses, are ones like NCA&T, SC-Upstate, and UAPB, where we pay a weak team to come to our gym, because they're supposed to be a guaranteed win.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:[Is this a must-win for Doh?

he has no chance, should he start losing to the cupcakes. That's the only unforgivable offense.[/quote]

SC Upstate
UAPB
Alabama St
who else?[/quote]

Who else? Well, let's see there was:
North Carolina A&T,
Southern,
Centenary,
Stephen F Austin, and
UT-San Antonio.

I dont know if you want to include Rice, Tulane or East Carolina on that list, those were bad losses, particularly being blown out by a bad East Carolina team 2 years ago, but you may not want to include conference games your list because we really cant avoid playing those. The major embarrassments, the insult on top of injury losses, are ones like NCA&T, SC-Upstate, and UAPB, where we pay a weak team to come to our gym, because they're supposed to be a guaranteed win.[/quote]

exactly. If this staff/team hopes to put the wheels back on the cart, they can't afford even one of those type of slip-ups. Starts tonight, we'll see.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:14 pm

I guess Texas State is our new rival in fball and bball?
Why not UTA or UNT? -- at least we have North Carolina Central left on the schedule!
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:09 pm

looks like the 1500 had better things to do tonite
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball