PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Texas Bluechips

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Texas Bluechips

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:05 pm

December 17, 2009
Texas Bluechips youth movement...
By Van Coleman van@hoopmasters.com

The Texas Bluechips program is on a youth movement; here's a look at some of the top young talent...

We received an update from Texas Bluechips director Mitch Malone and he filled us in on the top young talent that he has in his program led by a quintet of players he feels will break into the national rankings this coming spring.

"Their is no doubt in my mind that this group of players should be ranked among the best in their classes," Coach Malone told Hoopmasters. "Some may even be among the elite talents in their respective classes!"

So with that in mind, lets take a look at this talented quintet of freshman and sophomores that will be hoopin' it up for Bluechips this coming spring -

D.J. Miles 6-6 PF (2013) Meridian, MS High - D.J. is a force inside because of his proficiency, he shoots almost 80% from the field and rarely has an off game. He has range up to 12 feet, is a great shot blocker with really tremendous timing ! He could grow to 6-8, if he does he could be a top 10-20 type prospect!

Michael Grant 6-4 WF (2013) Plano TX High - According to Coach Malone, Michael is an absolute Warrior and the toughest kid in his program regardless of class!

"When I say he's tough, I mean Kenyon Martin tough," Coach Malone told Hoopmasters. "He reminds you of a cross between Billy Walker, Leon Powe, & NBA Rookie DeMarre Carroll."

Michael is best when attacking the basket, he plays [deleted] every play and never takes one off. Sometimes we have to limit his minutes because he plays so hard, which according to Coach Malone "is a great problem to have!"

Grant is caught at that tweener size and is working hard to expand his range on the floor, just in case the inches don't come. He's definitely one that high majors need to take a look at.

Kaelen Malone 5-6 PG (2013) McKinney TX Boyd - Kaelen is a floor general that knows how to run multiple offenses, which a Coaches Kid should! Kaelen is really good at setting up his teammates and understanding how to get them the ball when and where they can be the most effective! He has good quicks and his dad (Mitch) grew four inches in high school, so top schools should monitor his develoopment. So far, Baylor, Marquette, Florida International, DePaul, and Miami (FL) have shown interest according to Coach Malone!

Deion Houston 6-1 PG (2012) Duncanville TX - Deion, has now reclassed to the class of 2012 and moved from God's Academy to Duncanville.

"Deion has also grown 3 inches since last year, and is really maturing into a HM PG Prospect," Coach Malone told Hoopmasters. "He has a really good feel for passing the ball and knows how to run a team, as well as how to create his own shots."

He is now paired with top five rated senior Perry Jones at Duncanville and will be able to show first hand how much he's improved. He is currently hearing from Kansas, Oklahoma, Florida International, Georgia, Texas and Texas A&M.

Uche Ofogebu 6-4 WF (2012) San Antonio TX Warren - Uche is a physically bruising player who uses his big boned body to get to the rack as well as shooting it from midrange. He can rebound and finishes with authority in traffic.

"Uche is the 3rd Ofogebu brother to play for me," Coach Malone explained. "John played at Texas Tech and Ike played at SMU, so needless to say this is one athletic family to say the lease."

"If Uche grows to 6-8 or 6-9 like his older brothers, Look out he could be a young Caron Butler"

Hoopmasters will keep you up to date on these young talents as they nmature and their recruitng continues to heat up, right here at Hoopmasters.com.!
50's PONY
Heisman

Re: Texas Bluechips

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:41 am

Several of those kids were at our elite camp, don't expect favors from the hustler
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Texas Bluechips

Postby ponyscott » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:23 am

PonyDoh wrote:Several of those kids were at our elite camp, don't expect favors from the hustler

That would be correct..used to play ball at Dedman with Mitchall the time back in the day and have known him for years and he has built a good program over the years just through perserverence. He is a real hustler and its all about Mitch...what's in it for me?.....
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball