PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

"In A Funk" from Yahoo.com

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: "In A Funk" from Yahoo.com

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 pm

None so far. We still have to play Memphis and UAB, perhaps we catch them on a bad night with equally bad refs and pull off a win.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:09 pm

EastStang wrote:None so far. We still have to play Memphis and UAB, perhaps we catch them on a bad night with equally bad refs and pull off a win.

lol
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Z1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 pm

PonyDoh wrote:I couldn't root for Gillespie, he's a horrible human being. Doh is just a hard [deleted] and a bad coach. Billy Clyde lacks in every area you judge a mentor of kids.

For what it's worth- I don't hate or even dislike Gillespie, but Ponydoh nailed it. Only kids of Gilliespie's mold or mentality will come here. Everyone else with scruples, morals, and personal discipline will consider SMU as an outside possibility regardless of our academic program.

What kid can learn discipline, character, or any other positive from someone who has failed to do those things while coaching young athletes?
For all his faults I'd rather have someone of Doh's character (we're not talking coaching prowess)than know my kid isn't getting taught what I as a parent require and is getting the shaft on the value of his education. Sweeping the "transgressions" of a coach under the rug for a few extra wins would lead directly to penalties against the kids and University.

I'm always willing to take an upgrade in the coaching department, but never a downgrade in a coaches or schools integrity. That's future trouble that SMU doesn't need. We can find a coach who meets what we want without taking a hit on our basic beliefs.

Z
Z1
Recruit

Postby Adopted Hawk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
papawasamustang wrote:Losing all 3 games in Hawaii might have been the best thing that could have happened for this program. National exposure on ESPN, then Gottlieb's comments & now Yahoo.
Interesting comments from Yahoo re: local recruiting. Seems like the only ones that don't understand how important it is to recruit locally are Doh, Lutz & PonyDoh :P

Hopefully we can get a few more logs on the fire with a little Andy Katz & a front page column from the DMN discussing this issue.

You don't know much about Lutz if you don't think he understands how important it is to recruit locally.

I agree with CalallenStang, Lutz definitely has a feel for the local high school and JUCO players in the area. He also is known by the local AAU, high school and JUCO coaches. Granted there has not been the local success any of us would have liked to have seen to this point, there just might be more to the story as to why these local kids have not made the move to come play for the Ponies. I would start with the head coach's poor game day strategies and coaching which have translated to poor results and lots of negative stories and talk. As a result it is a much harder sell to local kids, parents and handlers. The SMU program struggles mightily from being able to walk into a local kids home (a home where they often hear this negative talk about SMU) and just say hey come play for us and they come. I, like the rest of you would love to have this be the case but it is not. Now that being said and with the addition of 2 new assistants this year, all with a willingness to recruit, we now have 3 coaches out making headway in the local circuit. And as has been said, there has been some excellent work done and doors opened for 2011. So let's do our part and point fault only where it is deserved as lord knows there are ample opportunities for improvement.
Adopted Hawk

Postby papawasamustang » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:20 pm

FWIW, I was just razzin my bud PonyDoh about local
recruiting . No doubt Lutz knows DFW & Texas. I think he's been solid with the 10 class & 11 could be even better.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 am

PonyDoh,
lol, I care about players, not locations. FWIW, we're on everyone in the top 20 in texas in '11. By far the biggest local effort so far under doh[/quote]

Slow learner if it takes Doh 6 years to learn how to recruit in Texas. Too little and too late.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:25 am

PoconoPony wrote:PonyDoh,
lol, I care about players, not locations. FWIW, we're on everyone in the top 20 in texas in '11. By far the biggest local effort so far under doh

Slow learner if it takes Doh 6 years to learn how to recruit in Texas. Too little and too late.[/quote]

6 years is an arbitrary number, not applicable to this situation. Really, the first class we should have seen tangible signs of local improvement was '09, maybe '10, but our assistant turnover has been outrageous. Some of the '09 and '10 kids had their primary recruiter change twice, never to be heard from again. Whatever the reason for the staff turnover, is the reason we haven't scored a local or two.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:18 pm

friarwolf wrote:Here is my shot at the quality win list and I am being very generous.......

First Year: Illinois State, Dayton, TCU (Dez's shot at the buzzer)

Second Year: TCU, UTEP (Double OT win)

Third Year: None

This Year: None

So, of our 5 "biggest" wins, 3 came against teams with losing records (Ill. State and both TCU games). I was thinking of adding the UAB game from 06-07, but they also were under .500 that year. Still, that may have been our best road win.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby friarwolf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:32 am

Sad, isn't it??????????
friarwolf
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball