PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

This season just needs to rapidly implode

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

This season just needs to rapidly implode

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:41 am

Not that I really wish utter failure but at the same time we have to have this thing hit rock bottom so you flush the thing out and start over and build back up.

There has to be a new voice, new message, new philosophy, new everything. This cannot go on like this anymore.

Four years is enough to know if the current regime has the infracture to take this program to the next level. Clearly, that is not happening.

As Ronald Reagan said when he ran for president in 1980, "Are you better off than you were four years ago?'' That's a rhetorical question, and I think many of us know the answer.

I'm not into this, "It's going to take 5-6 years" philosophy. It simply doesn't wash. And it certainly becomes counterproductive can you can't establish roots in your own backyard for whatever reason.

I'm tired of those who would want to make excuses or draw up any rationale for what's happened.

Matt Doherty is 38-66 in his career here through the UTEP game. That's a winning percentage of .365. And the laundry list of ridiculous losses to no-name programs has been exhausted. How is that sitting with anyone?

The bottom line is he isn't getting it done.

And as for that budget issue within the athletic department, creative accounting can be a player here. Make the move. Get him out of here and let's move on.
George S. Patton

Re: This season just needs to rapidly implode

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52 am

when's that NC Central game? Look out. I bet Doh's looking at it as a must win. Biggest game in the history of the program.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 am

GSP- I couldn't agree with you more. The sad issue is that our AD seems to be married to his bad decisions. He has now totally trashed (or failed to improve) 3 programs and refuses to make any changes. Maybe someone needs to put a bug in Turner's ear that some changes need to be made at the AD level as well as the coaches level.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 am

RGV Pony wrote:when's that NC Central game? Look out. I bet Doh's looking at it as a must win. Biggest game in the history of the program.

Saturday afternoon at 2 PM.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 am

fresh thoughts in this thread
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 am

Doh, should Doherty stay?

Maybe an explanation for Doherty to stay would be a FRESH thought. Oh, but nobody can come up with one that would cause us to say hmmmmm....
George S. Patton

Postby redpony » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 am

George S. Patton wrote:Doh, should Doherty stay?

Only if we need a new janitor at Moody. :lol: :lol:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:01 am

I don't think Doh should stay, but I've resigned myself to the fact that he'll be back. Therefore, I cheer for the kids who work damn hard. I also think our recruiting has picked up tremendously, and many of the glaring deficiencies on this roster, have been addressed in '10. Tired agendas, from attention-whoring posters, that don't watch the games, just strikes me as odd.

Patton, are you going to chip in money for the buy-out?
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 am

Dph, I watched them three times this year and pretty much knew that little had changed from last year.

I'm glad Papa Dia is having a great bounceback year. McCoy should not have returned. I just think he knew he messed up by coming back. Williams is playing hard. Faye is gutless. No one can finish around the basket consistently. We're fundamentally poor. What is Clinkscales role?

These are the same issues we had last year. We don't know what offense we're running. The head coach makes odd substitution changes. It's a dysfunctional outfit. So if that makes me one for craving attention, then so be it. I know what I'm watching. And I also know this brand of basketball is unacceptable.

I have not given up on the fact that he can be removed.

And I'm not confident that the new recruits will be developed to reach their potential at the next level.

And if I get a call asking to chip in, WHO DO I MAKE THE CHECK OUT TO and can I use it as a tax write-off as a loss or donation?
George S. Patton

Postby redpony » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:17 am

I understood that there was no buyout. We should just demote him so that he has no authority. If that were done I suspect he would resign. Much less expensive. 8)

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:28 am

PonyDoh wrote:Patton, are you going to chip in money for the buy-out?

Kind of an ashole comment...

Most that post on this board donate to mustang club...and can [deleted] as much as they want...
NickSMU17

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:15 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:

Most that post on this board donate to mustang club...and can [deleted] as much as they want...

Just seeing his level of unhappiness and commitment to change. He says he's willing to write a check and I applaud him for being that resolute. Donating to the Mustang Club has nothing to do w/being able to [deleted] or not. You are helping fund scholarships for student athletes at your alma mater. There are no guaranteed results tied to the donation, nor is it a free pass to be a [deleted].
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:30 pm

When the athletic department does its tax work, can it write off Doherty's salary as a loss?
George S. Patton

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:36 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
NickSMU17 wrote:

Just seeing his level of unhappiness and commitment to change. He says he's willing to write a check and I applaud him for being that resolute. Donating to the Mustang Club has nothing to do w/being able to [deleted] or not. You are helping fund scholarships for student athletes at your alma mater. There are no guaranteed results tied to the donation, nor is it a free pass to be a [deleted].

I disagree, if you are making a monetary donation to the mustang club to support athletes and the athletic program, you can [deleted] all day. People won't listen until you are on the upper levels but at least you can make a case, and pull your donation if you aren't happy.
NickSMU17

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:35 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:I disagree, if you are making a monetary donation to the mustang club to support athletes and the athletic program, you can [deleted] all day. People won't listen until you are on the upper levels but at least you can make a case, and pull your donation if you aren't happy.

pulling your donation, that at most schools, goes directly towards funding scholarships for hard-working student athletes, b/c you don't like a coach, gets you the ashole award, not me. How does the program having less money, help us get better? I understand recession issues, personal and/or family situations, but pulling donations based on results, lacks a macro view.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball