PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCCU is terrible, but........

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCCU is terrible, but........

Postby friarwolf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:32 pm

I saw some things today that made me rethink how the rest of this season could turn out. Here's the disclaimer: I don't know if the following would result in any changes to the number of games we win in conference. Having said that, Doh could easily make this at least a more competitive team by taking a page out of TCU's book. Open up the offense and start shooting more 3's whenever we get an open look within the flow of the game. This team we played sucked badly and maybe that is why the kids relaxed and started taking some shots today. We know Williams has a good stroke from several spots on the court as does Nyakundi. Clinkscales showed a nice stroke from the top of the key when he just dribbled to his spot and shot. The Barbre kid was a stone cold killer today with his stroke - no hesitation, no worries about getting benched, he just dribbled to a spot and launched it. He was a revelation - I know, he's a walk on but the kid can shoot. Maybe this would open up the lanes for McCoy and Williams and Haynes. McCoy can still finish around the rim and Williams can get there when he wants. Papa and Otis to clean up misses and be ready for any dishes that come and have the shooters out there pulling the trigger. They looked like they were having fun today for the first time and goodness knows, they could use more liberal doses of that. McCoy and Dia actually smiled........I'm just sayin............
friarwolf
Heisman

Re: NCCU is terrible, but........

Postby angryfan04 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 am

doh could make this team more competitive by scheduling NCCU 10 more times this season
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:00 pm

a poster I really respect here, mentioned that he thought Barbre should get more time. in a PM exchange. Looks like he was right. Kid showed out
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NickSMU17 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:58 pm

What is Barbre backround, is he scholarship?
NickSMU17
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:What is Barbre backround, is he scholarship?

freshman walk-on from Arlington
CalallenStang

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:08 pm

How can anyone take this game seriously??
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby longbuzzer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:15 pm

I can take this game seriously.

It was a beautiful day and the campus was as pretty in the full winter sun as I remember in my grad student days (translated salad days).

I cruised up to park by the old demolished condos, thankful the law suit will be settled and we can get on with a first class presidential library.

I met a friend out front of Moody, and to my surprise, plenty of tickest were still available. We purchased the $25 dollar variety (to support the old school) and settled down in the best seats in the house- Orsini's.

You have to love Moose Otis and his enthusiasm. PM drove the basket like it was last season. Maybe a good harbinger. Papa scrambled for a loose ball, rolled over some fans in the first row, popped back up and sprinted to the other end like he was a twelve-year old. That got our biggest yell.

Call me a crazy fan. I guess I am the son of a college basketball coach, and I still like to eat popcorn and listen to squeaking shoes, funky buzzers at time-out and the Mustang Band (alumni variety today).

I'm not delusional. This Mustang program needs work. But I still believe, if we had another couple thousand fans like me bringing a friend and yelling when Papa dove into the seats, we would have some basketball respect in DFW circles.

Yeah, I go back a ways. Peace. Bro.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby Mestengo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:47 pm

They don't sell $25.00 seats at the window. And SMU89 has the best seats in the house.
And he sits with me.... :shock:
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:36 am

PoconoPony wrote:How can anyone take this game seriously??

Hey, they beat Carver Bible College - what do you want?
Bergermeister

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:02 am

[quote="PonyDoh"]a poster I really respect here, mentioned that he thought Barbre should get more time. in a PM exchange. Looks like he was right. Kid showed out[/quote

Barbre averaged 20 & 6 @ Arlington Martin last season. He was the Fort Worth Star Telegram Boys Basketball Player of the Year. He was the District 4-5A Offensive Player of the Year.
He's played against quality comp in HS & was a member of the Dallas Hero's AAU team. He was rated the #30 prospect in Texas by Texashoops @ one point last season.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm

give him some more minutes to see if he is deserving of a 'ship
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:09 pm

papawasamustang wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:a poster I really respect here, mentioned that he thought Barbre should get more time. in a PM exchange. Looks like he was right. Kid showed out[/quote

Barbre averaged 20 & 6 @ Arlington Martin last season. He was the Fort Worth Star Telegram Boys Basketball Player of the Year. He was the District 4-5A Offensive Player of the Year.
He's played against quality comp in HS & was a member of the Dallas Hero's AAU team. He was rated the #30 prospect in Texas by Texashoops @ one point last season.

Worth a shot :D
Pony_Fan

Postby friarwolf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:16 am

Charleston Pony wrote:give him some more minutes to see if he is deserving of a 'ship

Based on one game, he already deserves one more than Kwiatkowski..............
friarwolf
Heisman

Return to Basketball