PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official SMU vs Tulsa game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official SMU vs Tulsa game thread

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:53 pm

lwjr wrote:If SMU can revive the football program there is no reason they can not revive the basketball program. :D

I honestly thought bball would come way sooner than fball. I really never saw a glimmer of or any signs of fball ever getting better... surely there is a chance.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:17 pm

mr. pony wrote:Hey, P-Doh,
You said SMU's NEVER had any basketball "glory years." And you're simply wrong.

I can't help it if you weren't around for Moody in the 60s and 70s. It dwarfs anything you witnessed in the 90s, sprout. We were plenty relevant and I'll put that Moody noise up against East Coast squealing any day. I wasn't around for the 50s, but SMU kicked #ss then too.

Today, SMU only wishes it could match what those teams did. Anybody who doesn't respect and appreciate what came before around here is building on sand, baby. I guarantee you the Circle of Champions respects it.

Think any of that holds weight when courting a recruit? Do you folks have any understanding how the game has changed just since '95? For those that don't know, that's the advent of summer hoops etc. I swear it's folks leaning on the glory days that never were, that keep us from becoming the program we can become in the future. This isn't a money thing, so why bring the Circle of Champions into this. Do any of them understand the grassroots landscape well enough, to navigate us out of the abyss?
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:
George S. Patton wrote:I just want to thank Matt Doherty for making SMU men's basketball completely irrelevent.

It's always been completely irrelevant, don't kid yourself. I laugh at people recalling the glory years around here, as if there were any

maybe you are too young to remember the Doc Hayes era when SMU ruled the SWC and was very competitive nationally...not to mention having a pretty nice following at a time before ESPN and raucous crowds in big time bball arenas. Moody was a "palace" and was far better than the arenas Texas or A&M played in. It may not have been top 10 bball, but those were strong years in SMU's bball history so don't tell us "old timers" there weren't any "glory days"

If it's not top 20 ball, they aren't glory years, just respectable. 10 tourneys in 100 years, Charleston, 10. No deep NCAA runs in the modern era. Maybe 1 AA in 30 years. No tourneys in the last 17. No NIT wins in the last 17.

You know as well as anyone here that you can't sell Doc Hayes to recruits. You know we can't sell our history and tradition to sell the program. It's like you guys are getting caught up in some age vs youth thing, when the reality is that what limited history we do have, doesn't do a thing for us on the trail. Nothing
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 pm

PonyDoh wrote:

I can't help it if you weren't around for Moody in the 60s and 70s. It dwarfs anything you witnessed in the 90s, sprout. We were plenty relevant and I'll put that Moody noise up against East Coast squealing any day. I wasn't around for the 50s, but SMU kicked #ss then too.

Today, SMU only wishes it could match what those teams did. Anybody who doesn't respect and appreciate what came before around here is building on sand, baby. I guarantee you the Circle of Champions respects it.

Think any of that holds weight when courting a recruit? Do you folks have any understanding how the game has changed just since '95? For those that don't know, that's the advent of summer hoops etc. I swear it's folks leaning on the glory days that never were, that keep us from becoming the program we can become in the future. This isn't a money thing, so why bring the Circle of Champions into this. Do any of them understand the grassroots landscape well enough, to navigate us out of the abyss?

In case, you haven't noticed, Clyde, money navigates abysses really nicely.

(Isn't SportsCenter on or something? :roll: )
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:53 pm

mr. pony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

(Isn't SportsCenter on or something? :roll: )

You have no clue, old timer. Tell me how money alone makes our grassroots problems go away. Do tell. This isn't football
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 pm

So, you are saying that Orsini doesn't have a clue in bball - or is he just have zero connections in the bball world? What is this grassroots effort you are talking about - sounds like it's just about scratching backs, shoes, and networking these days?

I guess we all get frustrated in the fact that SMU can't come up with a plan to look at what other successful programs do and study them. Seems pretty logical.

Crum is pretty bad*ss but it takes more that that obviously..
Pony_Fan

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:So, you are saying that Orsini doesn't have a clue in bball - or is he just have zero connections in the bball world? What is this grassroots effort you are talking about - sounds like it's just about scratching backs, shoes, and networking these days?

I guess we all get frustrated in the fact that SMU can't come up with a plan to look at what other successful programs do and study them. Seems pretty logical.

Crum is pretty bad*ss but it takes more that that obviously..

Crum is fantastic, no doubt. A real feather in the programs cap, but it's just a building. I'm willing to give Orsini the benefit of the doubt, but he's seen as a football guy that doesn't understand the landscape in hoops. All I'm saying w/regards to Orsini is that he can't take the bull in a china shop approach to hiring the next hoops coach, that he did when he courted JJ. Just tossing obscene money at candidates doesn't address what is broken.

What we need is a calculated search, w/an actual search committee, including a 3rd party hoops consultant, who qualifies most of the candidates. We need the input of Adidas grassroots, as well as survey every local AAU program, handler, high school coach in the area, as well as select regional and national AAU programs. The next hire needs to address their concerns, and make them feel comfortable w/the Hilltop. No more retreads, nobody on the back end of their career or a flameout, and they must address the model question from Day 1, w/every candidate.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Orsini didnt court JJ. IMO, we were well on our way to being the Fighting Frans, and wouldve seen JWill running the read option had ED not talked to JJ and texted Orsini. Beaudine, Orsini, etc didnt have a whole lot to do with bringing JJ here until the back end of things. Once ED sent up the flare, of course the powers that be (I guess Beaudine's people) contacted Steinberg, and off we went.
RGV Pony

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Today, SMU only wishes it could match what those teams did. Anybody who doesn't respect and appreciate what came before around here is building on sand, baby. I guarantee you the Circle of Champions respects it.[/quote]

Think any of that holds weight when courting a recruit? Do you folks have any understanding how the game has changed just since '95? For those that don't know, that's the advent of summer hoops etc. I swear it's folks leaning on the glory days that never were, that keep us from becoming the program we can become in the future. This isn't a money thing, so why bring the Circle of Champions into this. Do any of them understand the grassroots landscape well enough, to navigate us out of the abyss?[/quote]

(Isn't SportsCenter on or something? :roll: )[/quote]

You have no clue, old timer. Tell me how money alone makes our grassroots problems go away. Do tell. This isn't football[/quote]

Doh that is TOTALL BS as the AAU coaches are all about the cash and you know it....it revolves around that and always has..C'mon..its about the' bling' and the' kwan'......
ponyscott

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:
lwjr wrote:If SMU can revive the football program there is no reason they can not revive the basketball program. :D

I honestly thought bball would come way sooner than fball. I really never saw a glimmer of or any signs of fball ever getting better... surely there is a chance.

It will!
ponyscott

Previous

Return to Basketball