PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Paul McCoy

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Paul McCoy

Postby Adopted Hawk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:07 pm

I watch a ton of basketball in a week's time and I am lost for an explanation as to why Paul McCoy played the full 40 minutes tonight. 0-5 field goals (that's 0% for anyone keeping count), 5-9 free throws (hmmn, that's 56%), 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 turnover, 2 steals and 2 fouls.

Amazing. Time to cut our losses and not just with the head coach!
Adopted Hawk

Re: Paul McCoy

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Adopted Hawk wrote:I watch a ton of basketball in a week's time and I am lost for an explanation as to why Paul McCoy played the full 40 minutes tonight. 0-5 field goals (that's 0% for anyone keeping count), 5-9 free throws (hmmn, that's 56%), 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 turnover, 2 steals and 2 fouls.

Amazing. Time to cut our losses and not just with the head coach!

That was BY FAR the most amazing thing out of the box score tonight. To me, that and our new found style of play, needs some explaining. It's one thing to lose, it's another to be the most boring team in the land. Style of play matters, and if you're going to slow it down, you better run eloquent half court sets, get manufactured looks and have shooters. On D, you better defend the arc. I'm beginning to think we'd really go 4 corners, if there was no shot clock
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:19 am

he is a completely different person this year. Has he made more than 10 pts in a game all year? So weird. I say bench him for someone else. Walker maybe or Clinks.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 am

You almost have to try NOT to score a floor point or provide even one assist in a total full game...what is wrong with that kid?...a real shame after watching a frosh phenom last year.
ponyscott

Postby NastyStang » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:35 am

ponyscott wrote:You almost have to try NOT to score a floor point or provide even one assist in a total full game...what is wrong with that kid?...a real shame after watching a frosh phenom last year.

It's strange because Doh hammered in the point on the post game show that McCoy can't go 0-5 in a game and needs to get his 18-20 per game. But watching McCoy on the court last night, he isn't even looking to shoot the jump shot. I agree that if he can't snap out of it, get someone on the court who can shoot like Mike Walker. We have no threat from the 3-point line and it really shows when our 5'11" guards can't penetrate against a big front line. Hell I would even take Harp in the game if he would shoot. His shot looks decent in warm-ups and I know he could shoot in high school.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby ponydawg » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:52 am

I feel like Mike always comes in, makes a few shots, then gets pulled to sit on the bench the rest of the game. Its obvious Paul's upside is bigger than Mike's, but Mike has been very consistent this year. Feel like he has gotten better each year. We need paul to get out of this slump......I'd have him come in off the bunch to see if that shakes him up. He would still get his minutes, but do something to wake him up.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ibezu2 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:20 am

After watching the game...he may have a medical problem...acts like he's "lethargic."
ibezu2
Recruit

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 am

part of his problem is no J, so he just heads to the hole. To be fair, he missed some chippies on really nice drives, but he shuts down after that. It's like he can't handle a point blank miss. His 5 shots probably came in the first 10 minutes last night, then nothing
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10 pm

he took a 3 midway through the second half that looked real good out of his hands but as with most of his shots lately he gave it a bit extra and was long off the back iron. Seems to me all his shots are either woefully short or just long off the back of the rim. Point is he mostly looks dead on directionally not wide left or right. Rotation on ball looks normal too. I'm not a shooting expert, but usually to me, short and long shooting could be symptom of not going straight up on your jumper with balance and either falling a bit forward with your shoulders and eyes, or somehow leaning/fading slightly back. Or maybe he is just pressing enormously and at that split second of release panicking and giving most shots a little extra, and then he will overcompensate the next time by not letting the ball go.

His quicks also looked more like last year to me last night, had a couple nice steals and i thought was moving his feet well. Nothing like the lack of energy in Hawaii and earlier games to me. the guys confidence just looks non-existent.
Hoop Fan

Postby friarwolf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:34 pm

I wasn't even going to post as our program just sucks the life force out of me but here goes. No, screw it.................
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Wilshire Heights Pony » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:37 pm

At one point McCoy got a steal and was headed to the basket. There was a defender but one move and he could have executed a simple layup. Instead he passes to Faye and he proceeds to miss the dunk. I always like unselfish play that can lead to a basket that can "energize" the crowd but it almost looks like he doesn't want to score.

IMO, McCoy wanted out of the program and SMU wouldn't release him. Therefore he has vowed to play but don't expect any effort. His skills are greater than his teammates and without even trying he is still the most talented guy on the court.

If Doh benches him, truth is revealed and proves the point that Doh has broken McCoy's spirt like he did the players at North Carolina.
Wilshire Heights Pony
Scout Team

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 pm

I wish McCoy's cousin/buddy/whatever would post on here and set the record straight. What happened, bruh?
RGV Pony

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:56 pm

Wilshire Heights Pony wrote:At one point McCoy got a steal and was headed to the basket. There was a defender but one move and he could have executed a simple layup. Instead he passes to Faye and he proceeds to miss the dunk. I always like unselfish play that can lead to a basket that can "energize" the crowd but it almost looks like he doesn't want to score.

IMO, McCoy wanted out of the program and SMU wouldn't release him. Therefore he has vowed to play but don't expect any effort. His skills are greater than his teammates and without even trying he is still the most talented guy on the court.

If Doh benches him, truth is revealed and proves the point that Doh has broken McCoy's spirt like he did the players at North Carolina.

i know it's a message board, but speculate much
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 pm

PonyDoh wrote:[

i know it's a message board, but speculate much

Since we are all speculating I'll give it a shot. Burnt out, P whooped/sucker for love. Hell, Paul might have found the girl of his dweams. Seriously, even if you don't put in the time during the offseason your game doesn't slip this bad. This kid shot 45% from the field last year & 37% from 3 pt.
Every player goes through a slump but I really haven't ever seen anything like this.

The same can be said about Harp to a lesser extent. He wasn't afraid to jack it up his freshman year.
Look what happened to him.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby mustang23 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm

To RGV Pony: you asked about McCoy...well I honestly don't know and he doesn't know why he's in the slum. He's been worried and missing his grandparents and now he found out 2 days ago of the passing of his grandmother and grandpa was still in Hawaii for medical reasons. I don't know if he will ever be right for this season.

I apologize for his lack of enthusiam in the games. I apologize for putting all of you and the fans, the team/coaches down. We should continue to support him and the whole team thru the good, the bad and the ugly times. They need you just as much as you need them to perform. Let us not just accept the good times but cheer them more thru the bad times. PONY UP.
mustang23

Next

Return to Basketball