PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Edgar Allen Poe would be proud of SMU men's hoops

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Edgar Allen Poe would be proud of SMU men's hoops

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:07 am

I'm just wondering if he based his short story, "The Fall of the House of Usher" on the Matt Doherty era. I realize it was written around 1839 but maybe he had a vision that fast forwarded to the 2006-07 when Doherty arrived and he could see this coming.

Yes, this is dripping with enormous sarcasm. This program flat out blows. I don't care if this is a drive-by post. This whole thing stinks.
George S. Patton

Re: Edgar Allen Poe would be proud of SMU men's hoops

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:12 am

LOL....The Raven will now be the new school mascot.....sorry Peruna...
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:03 pm

A brother and sister relationship revolving around mental illness..ok, I will buy that as it relates to SMU hoops...
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby MidlandMustang » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:07 pm

Obviously being out here in Midland I didn't get to attend the game or watch it on national TV - yeah right. However, I did follow the game on game tracker. Therefore, I don't know how bad our offense looks but have a good indication that it sucks from other posts. However, the one positive is that we did hang with the team that is suppose to win the league championship. Just trying to find something positive as hard as it may be.
MidlandMustang
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:25 pm

MidlandMustang wrote:Obviously being out here in Midland I didn't get to attend the game or watch it on national TV - yeah right. However, I did follow the game on game tracker. Therefore, I don't know how bad our offense looks but have a good indication that it sucks from other posts. However, the one positive is that we did hang with the team that is suppose to win the league championship. Just trying to find something positive as hard as it may be.

I watch the games on All Access which you get from the WWW.smumustangs.com site. This site provides quite limited coverage of the floor and it is not possible to really see the "whole" game on the floor. I have been somewhat critical of the program situation and it is somewhat unfair to criticize the program from afar. The problem for most posters on this board is that there are just so many things both tangible and intangible that are just not blending and happening with the team. I personally believe we have sufficient talent and depth to be competitive and win 50% of our games; however, for any number of reasons they are not playing well as a team, no leadership is apparent, team work is lacking ( 6 assists the previous game and only 2 assists at half time against Tulsa; not all the fault of no true PG ), key kids are always in a funk (....ie. McCoy this year; Dia last year), Kids do not appear to respond to coaching or running an offense, coach seems to have intimidated kids who are playing tentative, coach does not seem to have the personal people skills to create a positive environment to advance, encourage or coach up the kids, kids show little confidence, fundamentals are really lacking, no outside shooting......etc. Bottom line is that the program is in a total funk and there does not seem to be any clear evidence that things are evolving or improving. Yep, the kids must accept much of the responsibility; however, this is really what a coach is for and it is the responsibility of the head coach to figure out what is wrong and make immediate corrections. Both the coach and team are MIA.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Heck EAP lived in Baltimore and hung out in skid row bars. Sounds like Moody right now.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby George S. Patton » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:49 pm

EastStang wrote:Heck EAP lived in Baltimore and hung out in skid row bars. Sounds like Moody right now.

:lol:
George S. Patton

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 pm

George S. Patton wrote:I'm just wondering if he based his short story, "The Fall of the House of Usher" on the Matt Doherty era. I realize it was written around 1839 but maybe he had a vision that fast forwarded to the 2006-07 when Doherty arrived and he could see this coming.

Yes, this is dripping with enormous sarcasm. This program flat out blows. I don't care if this is a drive-by post. This whole thing stinks.

Quote the Raven, "Nevermore."
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby George S. Patton » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:45 am

There are reports that the mysterious visitor, who always placed roses on his grave for his birthday (Jan. 19), did not show up this year.

What does that mean for SMU men's basketball?
George S. Patton

Return to Basketball