PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PonyDoh: Give us a primer

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

PonyDoh: Give us a primer

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 pm

What is "grassroots basketball"? Can you dumb it down for those of us with only fleeting knowledge about what you're referencing?

We know about AAU, the Kevin Durants, the Nikes, etc. But tell us how and why big shoe would give a rat's [deleted] about the two star players that litter a roster like Butler. Or the three star players at New Mexico.

Thanks in advance.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: PonyDoh: Give us a primer

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Can you also discuss SMU's problem with the scene and why we can't get involved?
NickSMU17

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:54 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:So, you are saying that Orsini doesn't have a clue in bball - or is he just have zero connections in the bball world? What is this grassroots effort you are talking about - sounds like it's just about scratching backs, shoes, and networking these days?

I guess we all get frustrated in the fact that SMU can't come up with a plan to look at what other successful programs do and study them. Seems pretty logical.

Crum is pretty bad*ss but it takes more that that obviously..

Cut/paste into this thread -- got off track in the Tulsa game thread
PonyDoh wrote:Crum is fantastic, no doubt. A real feather in the programs cap, but it's just a building. I'm willing to give Orsini the benefit of the doubt, but he's seen as a football guy that doesn't understand the landscape in hoops. All I'm saying w/regards to Orsini is that he can't take the bull in a china shop approach to hiring the next hoops coach, that he did when he courted JJ. Just tossing obscene money at candidates doesn't address what is broken.

What we need is a calculated search, w/an actual search committee, including a 3rd party hoops consultant, who qualifies most of the candidates. We need the input of Adidas grassroots, as well as survey every local AAU program, handler, high school coach in the area, as well as select regional and national AAU programs. The next hire needs to address their concerns, and make them feel comfortable w/the Hilltop. No more retreads, nobody on the back end of their career or a flameout, and they must address the model question from Day 1, w/every candidate.
Last edited by Pony_Fan on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony_Fan

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:57 pm

So the perception that SMU is a white elite school hurts us in the bball game...

That is never going to go away...
NickSMU17

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:So the perception that SMU is a white elite school hurts us in the bball game...

So what in the world is Duke?
ponyscott

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 pm

ponyscott wrote:
NickSMU17 wrote:So the perception that SMU is a white elite school hurts us in the bball game...

So what in the world is Duke?

a multicultural white elite school full of kids from NY...I was wondering the same thing..as in how they overcame that before K got there
RGV Pony

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18 pm

Have you seen Duke's starting lineup the past couple years?
NickSMU17

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:20 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:Have you seen Duke's starting lineup the past couple years?

Look who they play ......point is?
ponyscott

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Point is there starting lineup looks more like an ivy school than a NCAA powerhouse...
NickSMU17

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:26 pm

RGV, this is an in depth question whose answer isn't linear beyond what comprises grassroots ball. AAU is part of grassroots, but it's also all sanctioned and unsanctioned club/programs and tourneys, including camps, academies etc. Even if these entities aren't directly sponsored by apparel companies, apparel companies touch every part of the game from offsetting costs and event promotion, to apparel itself. They are responsible for the games growth, are the games largest advertiser, drive TV contracts, which in turn drives salaries etc.

In the modern era, these programs(AAU and other) have replaced high schools and parents as the most important cog in profile recruits decision process. Ultimately, w/o getting too confusing, there is a trickle down effect. Apparel companies breed brand loyalty at very young age. Just like Nike flagships move 5 stars to 5 star programs, 3 stars are just as easily pushed to Nike mid-majors etc.

It's an industry of relationships and favors, but like I said, it's not linear. Sometimes, certain programs just don't have quality relationships with certain college staffs, so those schools get iced by that program. Maybe they did a kid of yours wrong in the past etc. It's not always shoes driving this process, it's relationships, friends, favors etc. Maryland can't recruit DC Assault, and never will be able to under Gary Williams. It's not an Adidas/Under Armour thing etc. Terence Ross was just pulled from Maryland by Nike etc. SMU is currently all over a lifelong Adidas kid, but that relationship isn't primary in his recruitment etc.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:Point is there starting lineup looks more like an ivy school than a NCAA powerhouse...

But Coach K always has that and probably gets heat beacuse of it so what? ........they will do fine....is this a racial issue?
ponyscott

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:34 pm

That is the perception, and it isn't going away, but it is what it is. That's why I always talk about models. At SMU, we should strive for a model that is identifiable by the student body, and makes sense w/regards to talent acquisition. In short, should we try and out-athlete the diploma mills in CUSA like Memphis/Houston/UTEP, or should we look more like Butler/BYU and rely on system and skill?
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:39 pm

you just hit on it. You listed 5 schools in mid major conferences. Three public and two private. We are a private school. So, we would be well-served to be like Creighton, Drake, Butler, BYU, Xavier, the aforementioned Bradley, etc vs trying to be like a public school like Houston, Memphis, UAB.
RGV Pony

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 pm

I agree, and yes I think there are defn. racial undertones to SMU recruiting...it defn hurts us

I think a Butler is a great example of what we can become...

Also, you would think Adidas would want a bigger presence in a major city like Dallas...you would think they would want SMU to suceed...

All this shoe/AAU talk kind of makes me sick, it is incredible that they wield so much power
NickSMU17

Postby PonyDoh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:49 pm

RGV Pony wrote:you just hit on it. You listed 5 schools in mid major conferences. Three public and two private. We are a private school. So, we would be well-served to be like Creighton, Drake, Butler, BYU, Xavier, the aforementioned Bradley, etc vs trying to be like a public school like Houston, Memphis, UAB.

I agree. Also, can you imagine a Butler or BYU in CUSA. They would absolutely drive all these undisciplined teams nuts. Pass first teams w/5 shooters on the floor just destroy programs like UTEP. I watched BYU just smack UTEP last weekend in El Paso w/o their best player
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball