PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More Matt Doherty sorriness?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: More Matt Doherty sorriness?

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:09 am

gsp is such a child...thinks we read "his stuff" because it is insightful / informative, etc...bro, we respond to you because you are an idiot..fairly simple. Go Mustangs!!
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:27 am

So does anyone know what happened in Hawaii with the basketball team and whether it did or did not go to the bowl game and if it didn't go, why not?

It would be wise for some on this board to stop rattling their sabres at me and just for once, focus on the issue, check it out and find out the facts.

Maybe it's not a big deal. Maybe it is. Hence, the title of the thread is in question form -- editorialized albeit -- but it's in question form.
George S. Patton

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:44 am

Who _ _ _ _ _ _ _ cares if the Bball team went to the fball game or not, dude, who _ _ _ _ _ _ _ cares! Besides you, of course...I / We would rather you wax poetically about all the "futbol" games you saw while on the hilltop or maybe you could discuss / explore the Vikings Super Bowl prowess...
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:17 am

Ontheedgeofmyseat, I hope you're right and that it was just that simple that they didn't go and like Peruna88 said, MY PERSONAL HOPE is that they just voted to not go to the game and went to practice so they could focus on getting ready for Northeastern.

It just sounds pretty odd to me that if your football team is in a bowl game in the same location you're playing a tournament, you wouldn't go. Basketball team went to the home games at Ford during the season. Why not have the team support the best thing that's happened to SMU athletics in 25 years?

Go Vikings!!
George S. Patton

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:55 pm

George S. Patton wrote:So does anyone know what happened in Hawaii with the basketball team and whether it did or did not go to the bowl game and if it didn't go, why not?

It would be wise for some on this board to stop rattling their sabres at me and just for once, focus on the issue, check it out and find out the facts.

Maybe it's not a big deal. Maybe it is. Hence, the title of the thread is in question form -- editorialized albeit -- but it's in question form.

PonyDoh says he knows what happened and you can PM him for the answer.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Something just doesn't look right here. When your basketball team doesn't go to this major event or chooses not to go, I find that really strange. I also find it to be an act of an athletic department where the support of each other is inconsistent.

It speaks of sports/coaches/administrators who aren't on the same page. I find their not going to the bowl game unacceptable. They could have shown up for the first quarter and leave. Just letting Jones' program know this program had its back is important.

People on this board even inferred that the timing for the basketball team and the football team in Hawaii was a great thing.

Well, it's things like this that reveal why this program is 38-68 over the last 3 1/2 seasons.

I betcha if Rhonda's team was in Hawaii at the same time, she, her staff and her players would have been there because that's the kind of person I think Rhonda is. Oh, and Rhonda's program is the one enjoyed a run of success with championships and postseason appearances.
George S. Patton

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:59 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Something just doesn't look right here. When your basketball team doesn't go to this major event or chooses not to go, I find that really strange. I also find it to be an act of an athletic department where the support of each other is inconsistent.

It speaks of sports/coaches/administrators who aren't on the same page. I find their not going to the bowl game unacceptable. They could have shown up for the first quarter and leave. Just letting Jones' program know this program had its back is important.

People on this board even inferred that the timing for the basketball team and the football team in Hawaii was a great thing.

Well, it's things like this that reveal why this program is 38-68 over the last 3 1/2 seasons.

I betcha if Rhonda's team was in Hawaii at the same time, she, her staff and her players would have been there because that's the kind of person I think Rhonda is. Oh, and Rhonda's program is the one enjoyed a run of success with championships and postseason appearances.

You are making way too much of it. Most programs at high majors don't support each other at all. In fact, they are often contentious
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:00 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Something just doesn't look right here. When your basketball team doesn't go to this major event or chooses not to go, I find that really strange. I also find it to be an act of an athletic department where the support of each other is inconsistent.

You are making way too much of it. Most programs at high majors don't support each other at all. In fact, they are often contentious
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Does that make it right?
George S. Patton

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:11 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Does that make it right?

It doesn't make it anything. It was a business trip for both programs. Be real, pretty much the only time revenues support each other, is when attendance is mandatory. It's just a non-issue that occurs everywhere
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:14 pm

GSP is ridiculous and this is not a defense of DOH. The fact is that the game did not start to mid-afternoon. Rain was forcast and it did rain at half. Getting to and from the stadium took awhile due to the traffic in Honolulu. Once you got there it was a trudge into the stadium and to your seats. Even if you left early, it was a very long day getting back to the hotel after dark and the BB team had a game the next day. Their priority was the BB tournament not the Hawaii Bowl. They were not on vacation.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:17 pm

George S. Patton wrote: So does anyone know what happened in Hawaii with the basketball team and whether it did or did not go to the bowl game and if it didn't go, why not?

It doesn't matter. It's not important. SMU 45 Nevada 10
Bergermeister

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:21 pm

PonyDoh wrote:

It doesn't make it anything. It was a business trip for both programs. Be real, pretty much the only time revenues support each other, is when attendance is mandatory. It's just a non-issue that occurs everywhere

OK, if we're going to go with that, then why did they go to Pearl Harbor? Blow off some steam? Take in something historic? Business trips do have some down time in them. You're not stuck in meetings and phone calls and on the computer 24/7.

They should have been there.
George S. Patton

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:41 pm

George S. Patton wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:

OK, if we're going to go with that, then why did they go to Pearl Harbor? Blow off some steam? Take in something historic? Business trips do have some down time in them. You're not stuck in meetings and phone calls and on the computer 24/7.

They should have been there.

You're just grinding your ax for no reason. Give it a rest. It's a non-issue at every school in America. Nobody is loving on Doherty in this thread, but the call to miss the bowl game was sensible on every level.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NickSMU17 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:43 pm

JJ has made the football team go to a couple SMU bball games...would be nice to have a good relationship
NickSMU17

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball