PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2307

Postby mr. pony » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:41 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I swear I can't stand some of you "glory day"-ers that rip on the younger alumni or current students as being apathetic. It was your generation that got us the death penalty and subsequently hired Pye to drop the second bomb ....

Oh, yeah? And your generation gave us Obama. :lol:
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 pm

Harry0569 wrote:I wholeheartedly agree, it's pathetic. It just frustrates me because I am such a small sliver of the SMU sutdent body who actually gives a damn and makes it to all the games.

Hey Harry thanks for your efforts and hopefully you can get some more students out...I am not advocating that we will fill Moody any time soon, just would like to see more than 125 friggin students at a game out of 8-10,000 student body. And out of the maybe 125 students in attendance, 40 of them were the so called honored Football Team! At least show up to honor the warriors of your school even if you don't like the BBall program. We don't need to expect 9,000 fans as 5,000 really will be loud enough in Moody to sound like 9,000 fans normally.
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:10 am

Pony_Fan wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:I wholeheartedly agree, it's pathetic. It just frustrates me because I am such a small sliver of the SMU sutdent body who actually gives a damn and makes it to all the games.

what kind of things do they do these days to advertise games?
Do Grad students get free tickets?

They send an email out to the students list. Grad students get free tickets if they buy the Sports Pack when enrolling.

Harry and the band members are probably the only students at SMU who make it to almost every game.
CalallenStang

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 am

Seems like the fball team gets a lot more pub and emails to the Mustang Club list. It would be nice to call out Mustang Nation at least for one game a year to come out and cheer on the boys. Bus brigade with FCA or the local YMCA's etc... I don't think we touch the grad student population enough either.
Pony_Fan

Postby NickSMU17 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am

PonyDoh wrote:
NickSMU17 wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:
I'm post Death Penalty by a year or two, so don't blame me. I know what I saw during the '93 SWC run and the attendance was weak short of Arkansas and UT. Those games were close to full b/c those schools travel well, not b/c we packed the joint on our own. If you think a 'winner' solves SMUs problems when it comes to attendance, you're sadly mistaken. I've never ever seen a school that's student body is as apathetic as ours. They simply don't care, and even when they show, they wear frat gear. They can't come to Monday games b/c of chapter or whatever. Everyone wants a winner, but not supporting when we lose is the definition of frontrunner.

Not that I am a huge frat guy, but did you get black-balled?

The greeksystem is the backbone of SMU, so of course most of the campus is frat-tastic, and even though the support for teams isn't there yet, it makes for some of the best Thurs/Fri/Sat nights anywhere in the country...Laying into the greek system at SMU will make you no friends.

Start winning and attendance will go up....

Football attendance will be up this year by 15% maybe more...

LOL, you must be kidding about the backbone of SMU. I may make that my signature, or at least forward it to my buddies for a good chuckle. FWIW, I got into the frat of my choice, which was one of the two 'best', whatever that means, on campus at the time. After realizing it was douchetastic, I deactivated on my own terms. Saying the greek system provides some of the best Thurs/Fri/Sat nights anywhere in the country is w/o a frame of reference for an actual good time.

The greek system at SMU doesn't build character, it divides the student body into a multitude of too cool for school wannabes, that don't embrace what college is really about. If laying into the greek system doesn't win me those type of friends, consider me lucky.

Football attendance will be up slightly, but all bets are off if we lose to Tech.

You are very bitter, you may want to see someone about all this pent up anger...

I never said the greek system builds character, just said that 70% of campus is in the Greek system, so if it isn't the backbone of SMU socially you must tell me what is...

Honestly, your constant criticism of SMU and it fans is getting old...and if you dislike your experience here so much and love Maryland, b/c its the greatest place ever, then stay off the SMU board and head to terp fans....

Football attendance will be up W or L to Tech...
NickSMU17

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:24 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:You are very bitter, you may want to see someone about all this pent up anger...

I never said the greek system builds character, just said that 70% of campus is in the Greek system, so if it isn't the backbone of SMU socially you must tell me what is...

Honestly, your constant criticism of SMU and it fans is getting old...and if you dislike your experience here so much and love Maryland, b/c its the greatest place ever, then stay off the SMU board and head to terp fans....

Football attendance will be up W or L to Tech...

I'm not critical of SMU as an institution, and I support their sports programs more then most. I find the student body, on the whole, to be a bunch of spoiled & entitled rich kids that care more about being greek then SMU. Don't hate just b/c the reality actually matches the stereotype in this case. When threads come up about attendance, pointing a finger at an apathetic student body is relevant, as is wins and losses etc.

As for being a Terp, I went to Maryland as well. It has it's own issues, no doubt about it, but it doesn't lack in school spirit. SMU kids are indifferent and that's the reality. The only reason I'm bitter about SMU is our inability to give our revenue sports teams a home crowd
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Figure is about 1,000 more than I thought based on my limited audience view from All Access. I think this figure is very high.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:12 pm

PonyDoh,

Lighten up Francis. Its an elite private school in Dallas. Its going to attract a good number of kids from wealthy families. I grew up in a town of less than 500 people in East Texas to two public school teachers. Guess what? I found a way to fit in and thrive at SMU. Guess what else? There are [deleted] popping collars and driving Beamers at Texas Tech also. Point being there are going to be wealthy, elitist kids at EVERY school in America. College as an entity is something only about a quarter of kids in America get an opportunity at. When you narrow that down plus the fact we are a private, Christian school in a major city, you know what you're getting. However, to throw a blanket statement over the SMU student body like that is both inaccurate and not understanding the landscape of colleges across the nation.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Nick - you are off on your 70% figure. The figure is 35% of men and 45% of women. Considering that there are more women at SMU than men, it's probably about 42-43% of the overall student body.
CalallenStang

Postby PonyDoh » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:29 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:PonyDoh,

Lighten up Francis. Its an elite private school in Dallas. Its going to attract a good number of kids from wealthy families. I grew up in a town of less than 500 people in East Texas to two public school teachers. Guess what? I found a way to fit in and thrive at SMU. Guess what else? There are [deleted] popping collars and driving Beamers at Texas Tech also. Point being there are going to be wealthy, elitist kids at EVERY school in America. College as an entity is something only about a quarter of kids in America get an opportunity at. When you narrow that down plus the fact we are a private, Christian school in a major city, you know what you're getting. However, to throw a blanket statement over the SMU student body like that is both inaccurate and not understanding the landscape of colleges across the nation.

I didn't say I didn't understand it, I just called it like it is. It's part of the reason we don't draw, and definitely part of the reason it's tough to recruit in hoops. I'm allowed to dislike the prevailing mentality of the student body, b/c it isn't like most schools nationwide. To each his own, but nothing I've said is controversial in the least. It's a deserved reputation, one I knew about as an East Coast kid, well before I stepped foot on campus. All I'm saying is that it's not going to change, which in part means we'll always have attendance issues. Obviously, every school has kids that pop their collars and at Maryland, we have our share of kids that could be on Jersey Shore, so stop taking what I'm saying as some cross platform indictment of your degree or whatever. Simply, we have a snobby elitist student body that doesn't care about SMU sports. It's what it is, and it's been that way for the 20 years I've been around. The greek system doesn't help. I have a hard time seeing how that could offend when you know it's the truth
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NickSMU17 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:58 pm

CalallenStang wrote:Nick - you are off on your 70% figure. The figure is 35% of men and 45% of women. Considering that there are more women at SMU than men, it's probably about 42-43% of the overall student body.

Then it is far off from when I was there...
NickSMU17

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:30 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:PonyDoh,

I didn't say I didn't understand it, I just called it like it is. It's part of the reason we don't draw, and definitely part of the reason it's tough to recruit in hoops. I'm allowed to dislike the prevailing mentality of the student body, b/c it isn't like most schools nationwide. To each his own, but nothing I've said is controversial in the least. It's a deserved reputation, one I knew about as an East Coast kid, well before I stepped foot on campus. All I'm saying is that it's not going to change, which in part means we'll always have attendance issues. Obviously, every school has kids that pop their collars and at Maryland, we have our share of kids that could be on Jersey Shore, so stop taking what I'm saying as some cross platform indictment of your degree or whatever. Simply, we have a snobby elitist student body that doesn't care about SMU sports. It's what it is, and it's been that way for the 20 years I've been around. The greek system doesn't help. I have a hard time seeing how that could offend when you know it's the truth

Bingo!!!
mustangxc

Postby ponyscott » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:52 am

That is a riot...Francis...i want to be your big toe!
ponyscott

Previous

Return to Basketball