PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Q Ross

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Q Ross

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:09 pm

Might be on the move again.

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives ... howar.html

Not real sure why Carlisle hasn't played him for defensive minutes - they Mavs have horrible D the last month or so. Some guys are making 40-50 pts against them.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Q Ross

Postby MustangLaxer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:25 pm

what good is a shooting guard that can't shoot
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:47 pm

MustangLaxer wrote:what good is a shooting guard that can't shoot

he could shoot at smu.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:49 pm

he's been collecting nice paychecks though. Clippers gave him decent minutes.
Pony_Fan

Postby mustangxc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Looks like he is gone. That's too bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/ne ... id=4912262
mustangxc

Postby HorsePower » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:15 am

MustangLaxer wrote:what good is a shooting guard that can't shoot

Never seen him play, huh?

1. Great defender
2. Solid passer
3. Solid rebounder
4. Deferring to other shooters does not mean he can't shoot
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby smuksig21 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:27 am

he is gone and that's too bad because he is solid on d and all around and a great guy. one knock wouldn't be his shooting in general but his range. he isn't now, nor was he when he was at smu, a great long range shooter. although he does have a solid midrange game. look at all of your successful strong defenders in the NBA. your guys like ariza, artest, bruce bowen, and so many more. what they have to offer offensively is more explosive or more potent in the case of artest and ariza, and in the case of bowen filled that role of knocking down many, many big 3s from the corner in addition to his solid/strong defense. It's not to say that a solid defensive guy alone cannot or should not get minutes, but there's that little extra on the offensive end or in transition that can make you indispensible and earn you minutes day in and day out. bottom line, he is solid and can be serviceable in the nba, but it has to be in the right environment/lineup. on a team like the lakers with more potentially dominant offensive weapons that could work out well. i just dont think that there was enough firepower on the mavs besides dirk and jet. some might argue howard, kidd, and marion, but without a third consistent scorer who can catch fire on any given day, ross defensive prowess or ability does not fill a mavs need.
smuksig21

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:25 am

The Wizards don't seem to be making much of adding him to the roster. He was a salary cap equalizer in the deal. The Mavs will be much better with Butler and Haywood.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMUguy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:46 pm

From what I've seen, the Wizards aren't making much of anyone they have added. There never has been a team that acquires four guys and remains this quiet. They're not touting the arrival of Josh Howard, or Drew Gooden, or Singleton or The Q. The team is acting embarrassed about having made this trade, which is exactly the way it should be. Washington's side of this was the biggest give-up trade in the NBA in years.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:26 am

This was a legal salary dump by the Wizards. Only Ross has another year on his contract. This allows them to start rebuilding. The biggest question mark is will they trade Jamison (for his sake) and will they be able to void Arenas' contract. There is also the question of whether Leonsis will end up owning the team (he now is in the right of first refusal stage). He did one of the best salary dumps in history when he got rid of Jagr, and others and let McPhee go dumpster diving and then was able to get the #1 pick for Ovechkin and what they got back for those salary dump trades were Fleishmann, Green, Shaone Morrison, and Brooks Laich and draft choices which have stocked the major and minor league teams. This allows the GM to go out shopping next year for free agents which seems to be their plan rather than stocking up on draft choices.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:25 pm

SMUguy wrote:From what I've seen, the Wizards aren't making much of anyone they have added. There never has been a team that acquires four guys and remains this quiet. They're not touting the arrival of Josh Howard, or Drew Gooden, or Singleton or The Q. The team is acting embarrassed about having made this trade, which is exactly the way it should be. Washington's side of this was the biggest give-up trade in the NBA in years.

You forgot about the Pau Gasol trade. That was probably the biggest embarrassment of a trade within the last few years.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:33 pm

EastStang wrote:This was a legal salary dump by the Wizards. Only Ross has another year on his contract. This allows them to start rebuilding.

If I'm not mistaken, next year is an option that Ross holds, so he could walk if he wants to.

You'd think this move would allow that team to rebuild, but has Grunfeld done anything to suggest he knows how?

Oh well — at least he's not Michael Jordan.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/

threads.com/ponyfans_staff
PonyPride

Postby NickSMU17 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex wrote:You forgot about the Pau Gasol trade. That was probably the biggest embarrassment of a trade within the last few years.

Not as one sided as you might think...memphis might make playoffs this year with a lot of help from that trade...
NickSMU17

Postby Hal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 am

True. The "other" Gasol has really played pretty well this year.
Hal
Varsity

Postby giacfsp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:29 pm

And then there's this little nugget from Josh Howard after he and the Wiz won their first game together:

"It meant a lot, coming to a new organization and show them that I want to be here, plus stick it to the Mavs," he said. "I'm happy now, you don't have to worry about me saying nothing else about them now."

Stay classy, Josh.

In fact, watch how The Q conducts himself. He IS classy and the ultimate professional — always.

Good luck in Washington, Q.
giacfsp
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball