PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pathetic Mustang Support in Houston

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pathetic Mustang Support in Houston

Postby Mustang98 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:27 am

I took my wife and two kids to the SMU at Houston game this past Saturday. Granted the place was pretty empty, but besides my family there was another Mustang couple there and then another family totaling 10 Mustang fans in attendance.

Our guys played a great game and hung in there right to the end, but I find it dissapointing that in SMU's second largest market we can only get 10 people to come out.

I hope the Mustang Nation in Houston can get behind our guys come football season and then Basketball again next year.

Sincerely,

Outnumbered in Houston
"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion" - Rudy T.
Mustang98
Varsity

Re: Pathetic Mustang Support in Houston

Postby mustangnation » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 am

Me and 4 other mustang fans were there at mid court opposite the from the players bench. That makes 14. I would say that is not a bad turnout considering there were around 300 people total in attendance.

I
mustangnation
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:55 am

Mustang98 wrote:Our guys played a great game

A "great" game? Great?
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:20 am

mustangnation wrote:Me and 4 other mustang fans were there at mid court opposite the from the players bench. That makes 14. I would say that is not a bad turnout considering there were around 300 people total in attendance.

I

How do you know, he wasn't counting your group of 4 in the 10 count?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
mustangnation wrote:Me and 4 other mustang fans were there at mid court opposite the from the players bench. That makes 14. I would say that is not a bad turnout considering there were around 300 people total in attendance.

I

How do you know, he wasn't counting your group of 4 in the 10 count?

Maybe mustangnation counted 10 himself, not including his 4?
CalallenStang

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:03 am

Starting to sound like an SAT question....
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby BIGHORSE » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:41 am

I'm sure we had more fans there, they were just wearing red. :roll:
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:45 am

..I thought you could spot an SMU fan - alum a mile away...
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:06 am

I was there, and looked for mustang fans but didn't see any besides a man in a royal blue sweatshirt sitting behind the SMU bench and UH cheerleaders. I was very disappointed, but it has been this way since the 2005-06 season that we joined CUSA and started playing at UH. In typical SMU fashion, our fans will go watch us play at Rice, but not at UH as they are unwilling to go to the "ghetto" or so I have been told. In meeting people at the SMU gatherings before the games, whenever we play at UH people have told me that they won't be going to the game because they don't go to that part of town. Sad but true.
mustangxc

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:14 pm

mustangxc wrote:I was there, and looked for mustang fans but didn't see any besides a man in a royal blue sweatshirt sitting behind the SMU bench and UH cheerleaders. I was very disappointed, but it has been this way since the 2005-06 season that we joined CUSA and started playing at UH. In typical SMU fashion, our fans will go watch us play at Rice, but not at UH as they are unwilling to go to the "ghetto" or so I have been told. In meeting people at the SMU gatherings before the games, whenever we play at UH people have told me that they won't be going to the game because they don't go to that part of town. Sad but true.

You can actually get to the campus off of I45 without driving through "that part of town." I have been on campus many times for games as well as on business and have never felt threatened or unsafe. You would think we could draw nearly as many SMU fans to a Houston game as we draw to Moody. I wonder if the SMU fans in Houston are even aware a game was played.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustang98 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:57 pm

The place was so dead, that everytime we went down the court on defense I yelled "defense!" and could hear my own voice echo. We almost had the Coogs, but couldn't seal the deal. We had a much better showing than Doh's first trip to UH four years ago when we got slaughtered by about 40 points.

I am happy to hear some of you Mustang fans where there. Most of the time the SMU faithful sit in the stands behind the bench and that's what I was basing my complaint off of. Sounds like some of you SMU faithful were mixed in with the Cougar fans.

Go Mustangs!
"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion" - Rudy T.
Mustang98
Varsity

Postby BIGHORSE » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Yeah they were probably mixed in with the coog fans, and they were probably wearing red.

I am serious when I say that a lot of our fans will go to games wearing nuetral colors

or will blend in with what our opponent is wearing, like wearing red when we play U.H.

or blue for Memphis or Navy for Rice.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:05 pm

I was wearing red myself. Unfortunately, I do not have any royal colored polos. It was navy or red and I figured red was more accurate.
mustangxc

Postby BIGHORSE » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:22 pm

mustangxc wrote:I was wearing red myself. Unfortunately, I do not have any royal colored polos. It was navy or red and I figured red was more accurate.

time to make a trip to the S.M.U . Barnes and Noble bookstore on Mockingbird Lane. 8)
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:31 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:
mustangxc wrote:I was wearing red myself. Unfortunately, I do not have any royal colored polos. It was navy or red and I figured red was more accurate.

time to make a trip to the S.M.U . Barnes and Noble bookstore on Mockingbird Lane. 8)

Or for people like mustangxc that don't live in Dallas, http://smu.bncollege.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... &langId=-1
CalallenStang

Next

Return to Basketball