PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Doherty

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Doherty

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:05 am

Worry about winning during the season...you can talk taking down banners after the year is over.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Doherty

Postby mr. pony » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:14 pm

I was OK with it. Give 'em some hell, now and then.
Lord knows we've been doormats long enough.
Memphis knows who SMU is now, after that loss in Dallas. And they d@mn sure didn't blow us out last night. I saw a Tiger fan on the link last night say they should never play SMU twice in one season again.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 pm

I saw a Tiger fan on the link last night say they should never play SMU twice in one season again.

They've been saying that since we first moved to CUSA. Their reasoning is that we are a drag on their RPI.
CalallenStang

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm a fan of punching the class bully in the balls. We need to hold up our end and keep fielding better teams, but I like that we're not a shrinking violet. Our kids wanted to fight late, and that's huge progress.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:40 pm

The Memphis players ( Sallie) were mad because we 'disrespected' them because we scored late on them when Derek went in for a late layup with 3 seconds left? to heck with them.....hey at least they know who we are now....
ponyscott

Postby shadowman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:45 pm

ponyscott wrote:The Memphis players ( Sallie) were mad because we 'disrespected' them because we scored late on them when Derek went in for a late layup with 3 seconds left? to heck with them.....hey at least they know who we are now....

I thought that odd too, Doherty was more mad at Sallie jawing at Williams for scoring at the end, this after Memphis jacked another 3 with the shot clock going down. You almost never see the team that is behind just hold the ball, you try and score until the buzzer sounds, and most teams (with class) just back off and let them score, and they certainly don't jaw about it after a 13 point win.

Course, one thing to consider is that the last second score by Williams allowed SMU to cover the spread, thats probably what Sallie was mad about, he probably had a bet on the game.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:28 pm

shadowman wrote:
ponyscott wrote:The Memphis players ( Sallie) were mad because we 'disrespected' them because we scored late on them when Derek went in for a late layup with 3 seconds left? to heck with them.....hey at least they know who we are now....

I thought that odd too, Doherty was more mad at Sallie jawing at Williams for scoring at the end, this after Memphis jacked another 3 with the shot clock going down. You almost never see the team that is behind just hold the ball, you try and score until the buzzer sounds, and most teams (with class) just back off and let them score, and they certainly don't jaw about it after a 13 point win.

Course, one thing to consider is that the last second score by Williams allowed SMU to cover the spread, thats probably what Sallie was mad about, he probably had a bet on the game.

In fball it's a cheap shot to score a TD at the end for the winning team, but who cares if we score a bucket with a few secs remaining. That makes more sense. Sallie probably had some money on it :)
Pony_Fan

Postby mr. pony » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:56 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
I saw a Tiger fan on the link last night say they should never play SMU twice in one season again.

They've been saying that since we first moved to CUSA. Their reasoning is that we are a drag on their RPI.

Especially when we split, huh? :)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Memphis should have played D in the final seconds then if they had a bet on it....too bad Sallie!
ponyscott

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 pm

MSU runs the clock down at the end, and then throws up a 3...they are [deleted] that our dude ran in a lay up..one of their thugs was gaurding Williams as he came down the sideline, pushing him hard..get over it Mempho..go grab the Memphis Flyer, a sack of fried Dyers burgers, lock your doors, load your gun and watch MTV, "classes" start again Monday....
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby PonyDoh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 pm

I like the MSU hate. We need to get better so we can actually go to war w/those thugs w/regularity. Eff'm
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Memphis paper's take on the situation:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/feb/21/replay-memphis-76-smu-63/
Personally, I think this is hilarious. Especially the SAT comment.
skyscraper

Postby Treadway21 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:08 pm

skyscraper wrote:Personally, I think this is hilarious. Especially the SAT comment.

Yeah, at least he had some good lines. He probably should have held his tongue, but what the hey. He certainly got under their skin, which makes me chuckle.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Some columnist from the Jackson, TN newspaper (did not know they had one) rambles on and on about the Doh thing too in Monday's editions.
http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20100222/SPORTS/2220318
Calls it a 'disgrace.' So weird that the Memphis folks are worked up about this.
skyscraper

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Doh basically ripped up a heckler. Good stuff.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball