PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN on re-tread CUSA coaches, and the atmosphere at USM

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ESPN on re-tread CUSA coaches, and the atmosphere at USM

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:31 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/s ... id=4940844

Lots of info on Doh, nothing new though.

USM's atmophere sounds worse than Moody.

HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Your first thought as you approach Southern Mississippi's Reed Green Coliseum: The Golden Eagles play in a yurt.

Your second thought, as you enter the gym: The environmentally conscious, amenity-eschewing people who live in actual yurts would be aesthetically offended. The walls, presumably, were once yellow but now sit on the color spectrum somewhere between dirty mustard and old oatmeal. Three-quarters of the seats are old wooden bleachers that have seen a few decades worth of derriere wear and tear.

The lighting would be welcome in prison.

Thirty minutes before tipoff, 19 people are in the stands -- a pack of kids behind the basket, a collection of older folks toting their own chair backs opposite the benches, and a handful of locals spread across the rest of the building.

Student section? Haven't found it.

Pep band? No sign.

Cheerleaders? Not yet.

By tip, the place fills out a little, and when the players take the court -- with a recording of their fight song piped over the loudspeaker (which, more accurately, is a kind of a quiet speaker) and dry ice foaming at their feet -- there is a smattering of distracted applause.

Eustachy and Doherty are joined by Houston's Tom Penders, who was dogged by player scandals in his previous stops at Texas and George Washington; UAB's Mike Davis, who stepped down from pressure-packed Indiana only four years after taking the Hoosiers to the national title game; and Rice's Ben Braun, who went from Pac-10 Coach of the Year at Cal to one league win with the Owls last season.

If you mix in the football side of things, there's Mike Price, who was fired at Alabama after allegedly partying at a strip club and is now at UTEP, and George O'Leary, whose résumé-fudging knocked him from Notre Dame to Central Florida.

Even the conference's most successful coaching alum, John Calipari, came to Memphis only after crashing and burning in the NBA.

"I've sat in conference meetings and thought, 'This is some frigging broken-down, dead refugee camp,'" Eustachy said. "It's kind of like Afghanistan."
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ESPN on re-tread CUSA coaches, and the atmosphere at USM

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Just another reason I'm not for BCG. IF we do go another direction let's make it young & fresh
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 pm

PonyDoh wrote:Just another reason I'm not for BCG. IF we do go another direction let's make it young & fresh

Springman?
CalallenStang

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:05 pm

by the way, from the article, for some of you on here:

But there is no public flailing or fans' frothing at the mouth. The domain name firemattdoherty.com, in commission while he was at UNC, is currently for sale.
CalallenStang

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:15 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:Just another reason I'm not for BCG. IF we do go another direction let's make it young & fresh

Springman?

I like Russell, as well as a bunch of others. I'm inclined to give Doh another year, though. I think he might be onto something w/the current systems, not to mention the '10 and '11 class
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:28 pm

PonyDoh wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:

Springman?

I like Russell, as well as a bunch of others. I'm inclined to give Doh another year, though. I think he might be onto something w/the current systems, not to mention the '10 and '11 class

You know that I favor another year as well...I think that if it doesn't work out next year, though, we need to look at an up-and-coming assistant from a big program.
CalallenStang

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:57 pm

I agree. Maybe even the head man from lateral program, who we can just buy, b/c we have that ability, not to mention a higher program ceiling
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 pm

PonyDoh wrote:I agree. Maybe even the head man from lateral program, who we can just buy, b/c we have that ability, not to mention a higher program ceiling

who is a "lateral" program to us in bball? Centenary? Wright St? Tulane?
RGV Pony

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:11 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:I agree. Maybe even the head man from lateral program, who we can just buy, b/c we have that ability, not to mention a higher program ceiling

who is a "lateral" program to us in bball? Centenary? Wright St? Tulane?

programs aren't gauged by current win/loss, they are gauged by ceiling, conference affiliation, facilities, proximity to fertile recruiting, money etc. We have selling points, but we still have some infrastructure issues that will scare some guys
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Someone like Stew Morrill?
mustangxc

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 pm

mustangxc wrote:

Someone like Stew Morrill?

He's been at Utah State forever. Sure he'd want to move?
CalallenStang

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Morrill is a fine coach, but I'm thinking younger. That dude is like 57 or so.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:14 pm

Someone from a lower conference that consistently wins and wants more DOH :)

Someone from MVC, Kent State, Siena, Wichita State, West Ky, etc.

Poor Dement is 5-12 / 6-22 overall @ UNC-Greensboro.
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball