PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Night and Day

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Night and Day

Postby MustangIcon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:34 pm

A look at a possible, and quite ugly, depth chart for this season (assuming Pats, Vilde, Smith can't play):

Dia Luttman TK
Nuk
Haynes Mangrum
Clink Harp
JSam Walker

Then a tremendous influx of talent:

Giles
Vilde
Smith
Pats
Jones
Manuel
Cunningham
Norman

Sure would be nice if some these guys could play this season...
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Re: Night and Day

Postby PonyDoh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:41 pm

It's a wild situation, no doubt. About as bad as can be on paper this year, and then a potentially top 3 CUSA team the following year. I'm starting to believe Doh gets a pass no matter what, if only b/c we spent his buyout money on other sports.

Heard the team buried Dallas Christian on Saturday in the scrimmage. They are very lucky the OOC is atrocious. Looking at the schedule today, they should still be 11-2 or so going into the Ole Miss game. If they are worse than 9-4, I'll go postal
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 pm

don't get me wrong, we need talent, but all those players beginning eligibiligy at one time can lead to problems and it will be tough to gel into much the first year. sure wish we had some guys getting experience this year
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:04 pm

Other than the private school card, why is this so hard to find out if these guys are going to be with the team or not with it?

We're inside of two weeks of the season starting or something like that.

Can we just have a press release saying, "XXXX and XXXX will not be with us to start the season/ for the entire season as they are working through xxxxxxxx. We look forward to them accomplishing their goals and being a member of the SMU men's basketball program soon."
George S. Patton

Postby MustangIcon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:48 am

hoop, i agree completely.

think, we will return 4 rotation players for next season. 4. then the rest of the roster with guys who have never played a minute of hoops in college except for 2 transfers. as much of an upgrade as these guys will be in talent, definitely not ideal. also, the fight for minutes and undefined roles could be troubling.
MustangIcon
Hall of Famer

Postby Otto » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:12 pm

No publicist ever will put out a release saying "so-and-so won't be with us."

You put out releases to announce that someone is joining your team/company, not to announce someone isn't eligible or decided to go elsewhere.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby RE Tycoon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:13 pm

PonyDoh wrote: I'm starting to believe Doh gets a pass no matter what, if only b/c we spent his buyout money on other sports.

Can you elaborate?
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:40 pm

glick22 wrote:
PonyDoh wrote:It's a wild situation, no doubt. About as bad as can be on paper this year, and then a potentially top 3 CUSA team the following year. I'm starting to believe Doh gets a pass no matter what, if only b/c we spent his buyout money on other sports.

Heard the team buried Dallas Christian on Saturday in the scrimmage. They are very lucky the OOC is atrocious. Looking at the schedule today, they should still be 11-2 or so going into the Ole Miss game. If they are worse than 9-4, I'll go postal

This team will never be a top 3 team in any conference. Your coach is horrible. What good is talent if he can't coach them?

How dare you say anything about Coach Mangino! He's a fine offensive and defensive mind. Seriously though, that sentiment would resonate w/me, if we were actually out-coached regularly last year. Doh had a pretty decent year on the bench, if you don't consider post game outbursts like UAB, or bickering w/Memphis fans.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Glick, you seem to have lost your way. The website you were looking for is at www.gomeangreen.com
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyDoh » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:10 am

glick22 wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:Glick, you seem to have lost your way. The website you were looking for is at http://www.gomeangreen.com

I only have 20 posts here, while your leader, PonyDoh or HoopManX, has posted his mindless dribble over 60 times on our website....

The difference is that I'm respectful over there, and have enough knowledge to back up whatever I state. I never take shots at UNTs program or head coach. Mostly just talk recruiting. You come over here and flame, don't offer anything of substance, then use 'mindless dribble' which is lol-worthy. Pick on someone your own size, cause even your brethren at gomeangreen, know I'll devour you w/o needing a floss.
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:42 am

glick22 wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:Glick, you seem to have lost your way. The website you were looking for is at http://www.gomeangreen.com

I only have 20 posts here, while your leader, PonyDoh or HoopManX, has posted his mindless dribble over 60 times on our website....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSJUeb3fZEE
Ponydoh, my leader? Ha Ha ! You don't look so good in light blue (carolina blue), lol
But I do like those silver shoes.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 pm

bump
Last edited by papawasamustang on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby George S. Patton » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:15 pm

Look, the Virgin Islands kid and the Eastern European kid signed with SMU. They are on the roster. The SMU roster is thin already without them. Coaches talk about redshirts all the time.

However, if they are ineligible, they can't even sit on the bench? So I guess not seeing them on the bench would be an indication where this is going?
George S. Patton

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:15 pm

You guys @ NTSU have a good recruiting class & it isn't over yet. Still a lot more potential to add some nice pieces. You should be very proud. BTW, Robinson is very soft. However, you may have something down the road with him in a few. If JWilliams continues to improve his J, you have a guy who has the potential to be an elite Sun Belter. Love Chris Jones.
I'm looking forward to seeing you guys play a few times this season. You play an exciting brand of ball . Good luck!
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:20 pm

George S. Patton wrote:Look, the Virgin Islands kid and the Eastern European kid signed with SMU. They are on the roster. The SMU roster is thin already without them. Coaches talk about redshirts all the time.

However, if they are ineligible, they can't even sit on the bench? So I guess not seeing them on the bench would be an indication where this is going?

I don't think they have their final answer on them yet. If they were eligible as of today, I think we would have heard something positive. No mention of it on the CUSA preview show the other night.
Only players mentioned were Dia & RN. Never seen Vilde & Smith play in person before. Would love to see them play. Saw Pats play about 7-8 times last season. Really good shooter & passer.
Suspense is killing me. I guess I find out when I show up @ the first game.
papawasamustang
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball