PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby mustangxc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:11 pm

From my understanding you count as a full ride against a team if you get a partial athletic scholarship and the rest is academic. However, I don't think that you count athletically if you have a full academic scholarship.
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby Junior » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:24 pm

mustangxc wrote:From my understanding you count as a full ride against a team if you get a partial athletic scholarship and the rest is academic. However, I don't think that you count athletically if you have a full academic scholarship.

xc, that's my understantding as well. but i could be wrong. who knows. stallion needs to set us straight.
Derail the Frogs!
User avatar
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11371
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby PK » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Junior wrote:
mustangxc wrote:From my understanding you count as a full ride against a team if you get a partial athletic scholarship and the rest is academic. However, I don't think that you count athletically if you have a full academic scholarship.

xc, that's my understantding as well. but i could be wrong. who knows. stallion needs to set us straight.

Let's step back and look at this again. I have to assume our Ad is fully tuned in to NCAA rules and therefore, I would say that they know what they are doing and that a kid no longer on the team and now on an academic scholarship does not count against your athletic scholarship limits. I mean seriously, do you think they don't know what they are doing? Maybe they called Staliion first to make sure they could do this. Really?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
User avatar
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8612
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas 75206

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby Junior » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:39 pm

PK wrote:
Junior wrote:
mustangxc wrote:From my understanding you count as a full ride against a team if you get a partial athletic scholarship and the rest is academic. However, I don't think that you count athletically if you have a full academic scholarship.

xc, that's my understantding as well. but i could be wrong. who knows. stallion needs to set us straight.

Let's step back and look at this again. I have to assume our Ad is fully tuned in to NCAA rules and therefore, I would say that they know what they are doing and that a kid no longer on the team and now on an academic scholarship does not count against your athletic scholarship limits. I mean seriously, do you think they don't know what they are doing? Maybe they called Staliion first to make sure they could do this. Really?

PK, I'm with you here. I don't think this counts against the 4 open ships we have to give.
Derail the Frogs!
User avatar
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11371
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:43 am

PK wrote:
Junior wrote:
mustangxc wrote:From my understanding you count as a full ride against a team if you get a partial athletic scholarship and the rest is academic. However, I don't think that you count athletically if you have a full academic scholarship.

xc, that's my understantding as well. but i could be wrong. who knows. stallion needs to set us straight.

Let's step back and look at this again. I have to assume our Ad is fully tuned in to NCAA rules and therefore, I would say that they know what they are doing and that a kid no longer on the team and now on an academic scholarship does not count against your athletic scholarship limits. I mean seriously, do you think they don't know what they are doing? Maybe they called Staliion first to make sure they could do this. Really?

No longer on the team? This is a thread about a kid who will be joining the team, not about one of the 4 players separated from the team and offered non-athletic scholarships.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:40 am

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby GRGB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:01 am

baseball is weird because they give out 1/4 scholies etc.

I always thought that an academic scholarship counted against your limit. I also thought that if you kicked a guy off the team and he remained on scholarship, he counted against your limit.

that's obviously wrong -
User avatar
GRGB
All-American
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby No Quarter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:39 am

Long time SEC observers might remember an incident many years ago when Bear Bryant, having used all the football scholarhships available that year, tried to bring in good football players who were also good students on academic scholarships. The NCAA called his hand. Long time Dallasites might remember mention of the event in a Blackie Sherrod column in the Times Herald.

But evidently there is a different rule nowadays, or at least for BB players, as discussed above. Gosh knows I also hope the athletic department and coaches have a handle on the rules.
No Quarter
Heisman
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2000 4:01 am

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:40 am

No Quarter wrote:Long time SEC observers might remember an incident many years ago when Bear Bryant, having used all the football scholarhships available that year, tried to bring in good football players who were also good students on academic scholarships. The NCAA called his hand. Long time Dallasites might remember mention of the event in a Blackie Sherrod column in the Times Herald.

But evidently there is a different rule nowadays, or at least for BB players, as discussed above. Gosh knows I also hope the athletic department and coaches have a handle on the rules.


slippery slope. Can't make a habit of it
User avatar
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 4842
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:36 am

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby SMUer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:10 am

Wait a minute. If a partial athletic scholarship counts as a full towards your limit, why would teams even offer partial scholarships? "I can give 8 full or 8 half scholarships...better go with the half." No, they halve them so they can offer more. "I can give 8 full or 16 half...I have an entire soccer team to fill so better go with half." All your full or partial scholarships have to add up to your full scholarship limit. It's an equality of money for scholarships thing, more than an equality of players on scholarship thing.
User avatar
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5045
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:03 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas, The United States of America

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby mustangxc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:33 am

SMUer wrote:Wait a minute. If a partial athletic scholarship counts as a full towards your limit, why would teams even offer partial scholarships? "I can give 8 full or 8 half scholarships...better go with the half." No, they halve them so they can offer more. "I can give 8 full or 16 half...I have an entire soccer team to fill so better go with half." All your full or partial scholarships have to add up to your full scholarship limit. It's an equality of money for scholarships thing, more than an equality of players on scholarship thing.


The problem comes when that student-athlete on a partial athletic scholarship receives a partial academic scholarship to pay the remainder of his/her tuition. Then, that scholarship counts as a full ride athletically.
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby SMUer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 am

I was recruited for soccer (not SMU) but I feel like I was more highly recruited because I also qualified for academic scholarships. If the minute I got both I qualified as a full, I would think that's a disadvantage in recruiting me, when they can get someone more stupid who only counts as a partial. I just don't think the NCAA incentivizes that way. There might be a limit on the time you can have fully academic guy starring for you basketball team without transferring him to an athletic scholarship but I can't think the NCAA would penalize a team with the other half of a partial just because he happens to have earned an academic scholarship too.
User avatar
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5045
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:03 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas, The United States of America

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby Digetydog » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 am

I think that there is a 100% chance that Orisini and Co know what they are doing. The Kid was going to Brown and considering Columbia. There is no chance that this kid was not a legitimate candidate to get an academic scholarship to SMU.

Back when I was a student, it was my undertanding that almost all National Merit Scholars were named "Presidential Scholars" and given a full ride. Whatever the standards now, if Orisini can prove to the NCAA that Wilson meets them, I don't see the problem.

Plus, I would bet almost all of the walk-ons at every school are getting some sort of need based financial aid.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
User avatar
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:33 am

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby ponydawg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 am

Also, isn't he training with John Lucas. I'd assume that costs something. Maybe his family is able to help cover if it isn't a full academic ride.

Our Walk-ons seem to be getting better, can't wait to see some transfers and ship players.
User avatar
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3418
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:01 am

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby PK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 am

Grant Carter wrote:
PK wrote:Let's step back and look at this again. I have to assume our Ad is fully tuned in to NCAA rules and therefore, I would say that they know what they are doing and that a kid no longer on the team and now on an academic scholarship does not count against your athletic scholarship limits. I mean seriously, do you think they don't know what they are doing? Maybe they called Staliion first to make sure they could do this. Really?

No longer on the team? This is a thread about a kid who will be joining the team, not about one of the 4 players separated from the team and offered non-athletic scholarships.
You are correct. I was responding to a post on page two without going back to re-read page one and thought they were talking about how we have 4 ships to give because the previous players were put on academic scholarships. My mistake.

I still think the AD and coach know what they are doing and that a walk-on is just that and if he happens to earn an academic ship it wouldn't count against the athletic scholarship limits. That assumes of course that he actually earned the scholarship and it wasn't a slight of hand effort to get around the limit.
Last edited by PK on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
User avatar
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8612
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas 75206

Re: Who is Garrett Wilson - bball commit?

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:56 pm

19.0 points per game
1.4 assists per game
4.3 rebounds per game
1.3 steals per game

Pretty decent competition, right? I'd say this kid looks well worth a chance.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/fsVg6_ ... wilson.htm
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
User avatar
DallasDiehard
Heisman
 
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests