PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts On Sasser going pro?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts On Sasser going pro?

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed May 03, 2000 2:24 pm

I know he has not hired an agent yet, but I think this is a terrible mistake. I think he could really improve his draft standing if he would stay one more year and have a season similar to his sophomore year season. I think he would be making a HUGE mistake.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Thoughts On Sasser going pro?

Postby SMU00 » Wed Jun 21, 2000 11:02 am

Jeryl needs to stay for his senior year, and not just because it would help the Mustangs. At the moment, there are a lot of folks who think he doesn't really have a position.

He handles the ball well, but is he really a point guard? Not really -- he doesn't look to pass first, and he probably isn't quick enough to cover some of the league's quick point guards like Gary Payton or certainly Allen Iverson.

Because of his size, most have him labeled as a shooting guard -- but he is a very streaky, erratic shooter.

Or, because of his height and his exceptional knack for rebounding, he could be a small forward. But his lack of bulk would get him physically overmatched by other small forwards who take him down low and post him up.

Defensively, he's best-suited to play shooting guard. He has fairly quick feet and long arms, and good defensive instincts. But he needs to shoot more consistently to be a true shooting guard.

Besides, if he was to return (and especially with Tulsa losing its coach and two top players), SMU likely would be the favorite to win the WAC title.

Stay in school, Jeryl!
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby D » Wed Jun 21, 2000 11:52 am

I too would love for Sasser to stay in school, but with his recent decisions to continue testing the waters out in LA it appears as if he may be leaning towards making the jump.
I think we lose a lot if Sasser leaves. A lot of opportunities are created for others when a team changes their defensive scheme to guard Sasser. I think Willie had a great year last year, but I think a lot of it was created because team's were focusing on stopping Sasser in their preparation.
Here's hoping that he stays. I think a year of development will do him well and will definitely improve our hopes for next season. I guess we will se around 5 this afternoon.
D
Varsity

Postby Manada/Fjdor » Wed Jun 21, 2000 2:48 pm

Exactly...

We'll see at around 3:45pm whether he stays or goes. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see he obviously wants to get the hell out of here...otherwise he would not be hanging until the literal last minute
Manada/Fjdor

Postby D » Wed Jun 21, 2000 6:24 pm

He's staying! Looking forward to another exciting season and some great things from him. Here's the link to the press conference.

<A HREF="http://www.smumustangs.com/news/000621mbb.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smumustangs.com/news/000621mbb.asp</A>
D
Varsity

Return to Basketball