PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DEMENT

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DEMENT

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Jul 07, 2000 6:43 pm

I read in an article online that Dement is in the running for the Tulane coaching position.

PLEASE MIKE, GO. You have helped SMU get to where it is, it is time to move on, we need someone that can bring discipline to this team, and a tough schedule to get us in and prepared for the Tourney!

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: DEMENT

Postby Manada/Fjdor » Sun Jul 09, 2000 6:46 pm

I'll grant your request for a basketball conversation...

To begin, moving to Tulane would be a lateral move, at best, to a much less attractive living environment than Dement has here in Dallas. Hell, what wouldn't suprise me at all is whether Copeland or Dement will be the first to leave. Copeland still has one more big move left in him, especially as how he is sorely underappreciated by the vocal minority.
As for your discipline comment: you can take the horse to the water but you cant force him to drink. These players are street ballers...Dement is doing the best he can with what he's got. You can't be too rigid in your own coaching mentality to not adapt to what your players do best. Example 1: Jim Cleamons short-lived stay as Mavericks coach. He wouldn't adapt his almighty triangle offense in spite of having Jason Kidd. Kidd Got traded, and look at him now.
Manada/Fjdor

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Jul 09, 2000 7:41 pm

True, Tulane is a lateral move, I just don't really care for Dement that much. I have heard, from good sources, that he cannot place the blame on himself. He needs to be the leader in the team and quit placing blame and leadership responsibilities on others. There are things he can do to players to place a since of discipline on the team. Instead of turning his head, he can make examples. I agree he, or any coach for that matter, cannot have control over players, but he has let them roam too far.

You have opened my eyes to Copeland! Do you really think he has another move left? I think he is capable to rise to a higher level, but I don't think he will. His stats are great, except for FB, SMU is doing AWESOME. I just don't think he will leave anytime soon. He got Ford Stadium, I see him staying in Ford Stadium. Please, explain, if you will, about the under appreciation with the vocal minority. I am not disagreeing with you, just don't quiet know what you are talking about?

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Manada/Fjdor » Mon Jul 10, 2000 2:22 pm

Copeland is an outstanding administrator. And yes, he ceratinly has the capacity for another big move. Will he leave, nobody can know for sure. You never know what opportunities will arise in the future. He certainly has a good deal going here...he needn't ever leave. I'm not Jim, so I can't say. But he certainly has as much, if not more, mobility than Dement or anybody else for that matter within our department. As for the vocal minority, there's always a hint of those types, no matter how well intentioned, in any scenario.
Manada/Fjdor

Postby 91Stang » Mon Jul 10, 2000 4:20 pm

Do not even suggest Copeland might leave. He is not to blame if our football team misses a tackle or if some of the basketball players shoot blanks from behind the three-point stripe. Copeland is a fantastic administrator and fund-raiser. Everything he has predicted - either on the record or off - has come true. Do not let this man get away.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby Manada/Fjdor » Mon Jul 10, 2000 7:39 pm

I don't want Jim to leave ever. And I'm certainly not trying to spread "Copeland is leaving" talk. But Copeland is such an outstanding administrator that he will always have his name around most AD openings. As much as I bleed red and blue, there are better AD jobs than the one here on the hilltop. And while I hope it never happens, Copeland possesses the CAPACITY to make one more big move. He's not old and senile...he's not on his deathbed.
Manada/Fjdor

Postby WildHorse » Mon Jul 10, 2000 8:01 pm

There was some talk a few months back that the AD at Florida State was going to take the Alabama AD job, and that Copeland was so highly thought of that he was in line for the FSU job. Glad he didn't go.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Basketball