PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My prediction

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My prediction

Postby ponytalk » Sat Nov 11, 2000 12:56 pm

Here are my predictions.
Starting lineup:
Damon Hancock
Quinton Ross
Sasser
Willie Davis
DeWayne Floyd

I think throughout the year, Nigel and Jibran will also start in DeWayne's place.

Next, our record. Notice this may be a few games off because I don't know who we play in those two tourneys.
27-4.
We have a couple tough games. Oklahoma, Tennesee, Tulsa, TCU. We will drop another game that we should win, there are always upsets.
We win the WAC tourney then go to the second round of the NCAA.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: My prediction

Postby Vitale » Tue Nov 14, 2000 2:54 pm

ponytalk -

I like your thinking. But I fear an upset or two, and I don't want to get too overconfident with no legit center (with Forinash hurt and Smith still coming back from his surgery.)

SMU will finish 24-7.
Win the WAC regular season and conference tournament.
And will be this year's Cinderella, making THIRD round of the NCAA Tournament.

Then we have to work to hang on to Dement from the big schools with big money.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 14, 2000 10:59 pm

By my count, we play 13 non-conference games and 16 WAC games. My prediction would be 9-4 and 10-6, sending us into the WAC tourney at 19-10. By that time, we are peaking and we win the WAC tourney/automatic bid and carry a 22-10 record into the Big Dance, where we win a 1st round game before bowing out. That leaves us with a 23-11 finish and a good looking group of Frosh coming in to replace Sass & Willie D. The future of SMU hoops looks bright, indeed.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Thu Nov 16, 2000 2:38 pm

You see us loosing 6 conference games? To who? I maybe see 4 max, but you could be right. I could see 1 to TCU, 1 to Tulsa. I think 2-3 conference losses. But we could play the guessing game all day. At the end of the season we will have to pull this thread out and see who was right. A little PonyFans competition!
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:35 pm

WAC road games will be PLENTY tough this year. TCU, Tulsa, Fresno will be very difficult games, as will UTEP, Hawaii & San Jose. I'm assuming we will lose most of those games, and doubt we go undefeated at Moody. We still don't have any inside scoring threat and have not been consistent with our perimeter shooting.

I see Damon Hancock as a big key this year. Stephen Woods was a good player, but not a natural point. He too often was content to stay on the perimeter and shoot. I see Damon as the guy who will drive and dish...and more importantly CONTROL tempo where in the past we would self destruct by forcing up several consecutive bad shots. To be really successful, though, we are going to need some of our big men to step up this year.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Nov 17, 2000 12:14 am

Nigel and Jibran will be our two inside threats. Nigel especially. From the little I have seen of him, he looks to be very good down low.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby D » Wed Nov 22, 2000 4:15 pm

It was nice to see the big men play well in the exhibition. Nice to see somewhat of an offensive threat and some consistency on the inside. Hopefully we can get through the injuries early and win some games.
I agree with the assessment about conference losses above. The WAC will be tough both on the road and at home. Even though Houston is weak this year, I was amazed to see they were beaten by 20 by Rice. Fresno and TCU are the ones that scare me the most though. That point guard transfer at TCU can play.
The non-conference looks a lot easier though (except some obvious games) and will hopefully give us some momentum going into conference play. I'd love to see no more than 7 losses, but am hesitant especially after how wrong we all were with the football predictions. Hopefully, I am being too conservative.
D
Varsity

Return to Basketball